Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File Copy Error: ayfjvwop.sys

• 15-11-2007 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Trying to upgrade from XP Home to XP Professional.

This error appears: An error occurred when trying to copy ayfjvwop.sys.
    The file is missing.

Anyone know where I could get it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 julesdarcy

Trying to upgrade from XP Home to XP Professional.

This error appears: An error occurred when trying to copy ayfjvwop.sys.
    The file is missing.

Anyone know where I could get it? Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Odd, there's nothing whatsover listed in that for in a quick Google search. That looks like a random file name, which doesn't bode well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why upgrade ?

mainly asking because of the price of an upgrade license.

If you upgrade a copy of OEM XP home then your upgrade license is forever bound to the motheboard the oem XP home was shipped with, and dies with it

if a retail XP home license or for almost any purpose you are better off doing a clean install

and BTW you can't use the OEM pro license to upgrade home , the license does not allow

the filename as was posted on your other thread sounds like junk , it might be a strange driver but that's only if you are lucky - run antimalware

I highly suspect that the mentioned file is a rootkit. There's no such file on any Windows XP media.

I need to upgrade to XP Pro to run Microsoft Virtual PC. I'm doing an MCSA course and we use Virtual PC in class. The Practices in the books use the Virtual PCs with predefined setups. XP Home is not one of the supported operating systems to run Virtual PC.

Ya I couldn't find any match for that file on Google. I did a search on my own PC and nothing showed up. If it is malware, wouldn't Google reveal that?

By the way, if I skip installing the file and run the rest of the install, on rebooting, the boot stops because it says that file is missing. It must be needed for the operating system.

• Advertisement

This thread can be closed as there is a duplicate on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Ya I couldn't find any match for that file on Google. I did a search on my own PC and nothing showed up. If it is malware, wouldn't Google reveal that?

Na this isn't the case. Generally I come across a lot of randomly named malware files and folders that will get no hits on google. It sounds like malware, but could be related to something like Alcohol 120% or something. Would have to run some scans to find out.

But if it is malware and look at my original post, the error said that the file was missing, so surely a scan would not show up anything?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Haha if only :)

Often the files can be missing, but the registry entries remain behind causing damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is the disc you are using to upgrade Legit? or do you know?

It could be a disc that was tampered with too :rolleyes:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Is the disc you are using to upgrade Legit? or do you know?-

It's not a disc. It's a folder containing files that I copied from a colleague. His installation worked fine.

Advertisement