Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay Left

Options
  • 15-11-2007 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Everyday i cycle to work and my route takes me over a bridge that's a dual carriageway with a footpath cycle track.
    There's always loads of students that are headed over the bridge the opposite way i'm going. (I'm on the left hand side of the road traveling with the direction of traffic). Some of them are on bikes unfortunately and it results in me having to engage a game of chicken with them, as they are not staying left like the Rules of the Road state.
    I understand why they don't want to stay left, it would put them uncomfortably close to the edge of the footpath/cycletrack where the cars are all flying it.
    I'm not sure the game of chicken we play every morning is any safer. Infact it seems very dangerous to me and i don't really know what to do about it.
    I've thought of trying to stop each one and inform them of the Rules but tbh they'll likely tell me to feck off. They are students afterall.
    What would you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Everyday i cycle to work and my route takes me over a bridge that's a dual carriageway with a footpath cycle track.
    What kind of road sign is placed at the beginning of the cycle track? Is is a bi-directional cycle track? Are there two continuous white lines to the left and right of the cycle track?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Im guessing youre talking about the N11 overpass? Absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

My Money is on the Quincentenial bridge in Galway, and I am faced with the same issue on a daily basis.

Its hard to know what to do...
    I play chicken.. and win every time, to the point where I will screech to a halt in front of them, and then explain [sometimes] politely that I am in the right, and that if they are going the wrong way on a cyle lane, then they should at least keep left.
    I also signal at people coming towards me, indicating that they should keep to the left [of the cycle lane].

All told, I keep at the back of my mind that any cyclist at all is better than no cyclist, so I try not to f them out of it.

A bigger problem is pedestrians zoned-out listening to ipods wandering into the cycle lane...

The cycle lane lane is a complete joke in any case, and I would happily use the road if the Guards EVER did any enforecement of the speed limit. Its a 50km zone, that seems to have an unwritten 80km rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

RedPlanet wrote: »
    They are students afterall.
    What would you do?

First off, I'm a student as are many of the boardsie cyclists, so ya can stop right there to begin with.

After that, live with it. Cycle lanes are a joke. Roads are a joke. We're a minority, and that's just life. As Aburke said, stick to your guns and stay in lane and if it involves a screeching halt - inform the other party of their wrong doing. Otherwise just get on with your commute and laugh at the plebs in their cars in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

cunnins4 wrote: »
    First off, I'm a student as are many of the boardsie cyclists, so ya can stop right there to begin with.

After that, live with it. Cycle lanes are a joke. Roads are a joke. We're a minority, and that's just life. As Aburke said, stick to your guns and stay in lane and if it involves a screeching halt - inform the other party of their wrong doing. Otherwise just get on with your commute and laugh at the plebs in their cars in traffic.

On a less inflammatory note, I would say live and let live RedPlanet (we're all on the same side aren't we?).

This strikes me as a unique campaigning opportunity for the students and other cyclists who use this lane (wherever it is). How about a unified petition & lobby of the local authority, and relevant councillors, for a safety barrier to be placed along the edge of the cyclepath. This would create a safer route for cyclists keeping to the 'outside' left. It would also increase the local authority's awareness of the cycling community in your area.

Use all of the available arguments in favour of creating a more cyclist-friendly approach - reduces congestion, reduces emmissions, increased safety, sustainable transport solutions etc etc. Pretty soon, all local authorities are going to have emmissions targets; investment in proper infrastructure for sustainable transport (ie cycling) will help them to realise those targets. Make them realise what the current set up is like in reality, the solution is inexpensive.

Now, enough playing chicken, and go take the fight to 'the man'.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Quincentenial Bridge it is!
    It's just a tarmac'd footpath really, there are no signs nor road markings indicating it is a "cycletrack"; it has absolutely no legal standing whatsoever.
    That being said however motorists drive with such fury and aggression along that stretch it is pure madness to try and cycle on the road.
    I've seen some cyclists do it and they get seriously harrassed by motorists beeping at them, forcing them off the road etc.
    Today again i was playing chicken and there is one fella in particular that is a stubborn nusiance and i shouted at him to "Stay Left!". Not sure if he heard me clearly but he at least knows i'm taking an issue with his cycling. And maybe that in itself will prompt him to scrutinize the Rules of the Road.

Advertisement