Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice needed please

Options
  • 15-11-2007 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Im goin to look at a 99 golf standard tdi at the weekend. 90bhp model.
    It has 120000 milies on the clock would this be a lot to a car like this?
    It last go a timeing belt at 70000 miles
    It has new tyres all round and the man wants 5200 euros is this a reasonable price? its nct d till 09.
    What faults are their to watch out for on this particular model?
    all replys welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I suppose that price is somewhat average(from www.carzone.ie) but if it's rough or it seems in anyway dodgy i'd walk away... Im very mileage biased, anything over 105,000 for me is alot... It depends... If u saw it on the net, send us a link, that way we can get a better look... Also, the standard models are fairly boring, try going for a comforline...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's a clean car and you like it then it could be a good deal. It will need a timing belt in 10,000 miles which will probably cost you €500+. The fact that it's NCT'd til 2009 is a plus. Those TDI engines are capable of savage mileage. I've seen quite a few exceed the 200k mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Paddy..
    I have a 99 Pasat TDI.. I've driven from 30k to its current 160k miles. The only engine issues I've seen are electric.. I've replaced the air flow meter 3 times and an air pressure sensor once.
    I've found the Passat a great relyable car but maintenence costs are high. The Passat suffers from link bar wear in the front, I dont think the Golf has the same system but if it does it is also a relatively expensive repair..

When I purchased it was doing in excess of 50mpg, probably 45mpg now...

Cheers..
    bam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddy reilly

Yeah i ve seen the car before its local to me. ITis polished to perfection.
    Its a black tdi with gt tdi written all over it a gt interior angel eyes and lexus lights etc. Its a really nice looking car.
    Id just like to know what faults these models have.
    It is not advertised in the net so no link unfortunately

I'm not good with mechanics. Which makes me pointles here, but we've went through so many Volkswagen's, currently three in the family. And all so far, althought we change regulary seem to have been perfect. A 00 Polo we had a few years back started giving a small bit of trouble. Volkswagen seem to have a lifetime before they start giving way. A diesel Golf will be a great seller, especially if ur buyin a nice one and plan to keep it well... How long had u planned on keepin it btw

• Advertisement

I was planing on keeping it for two year or less maybe.
    It will be my first car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How many miles do you reckon you'll do in a year?

Thats the thing i could be doing between 15000 and 20000 miles a year.
    So it will probably be worthless after 2 years

If u are doing that kinda mileage and plan to sell the car on with give or take 150/160k on it ur as best off puttin a few quid extra now and getting one with less mileage, which should be worth a bit after two years. I'd say ur diggin urself a hole buyin the car. I do see people askin crazy money for high mileage diesels but i don't see any1 gettin it... Completly up to urself, but i'd advise a lower mileage car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm not sure I agree... I've been driving my passat TDI for its last 130K miles, ... The thing I've seen with VW's is that the maintenance doesnt seem to get more expensive nor does the relyability deteriorate..

I've had an
    86 diesel jetta which I put about 70k on.
    89 MK2 golf diesel, bought at 105K and sold on at 185k, still running well.

If these cars havent been trashed they will keep going...

I must add... I wouldn't buy a car that has been re-badged, spoilered or modified... Too many have been driven byond their ability by folks who wish they had a faster car...:(

If you buy a well minded VW TDI it will serve you well for years...

Cheers
    bam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can't really compare MK2 Golfs and Jettas with a Mk4 Golf. the old ones were much more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

Advertisement