Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The future is green. The future's a milk float!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

E92 wrote: »
    yes. Unlike oil it is renewable so we can use it as often as we want and no harm done to the planet. Also unlike oil theres no problem if we waste it, we can find some more and so what. Where Der Spiegel got the idea that it somehow is worse for the enviornment than a large truck is a mystery to me because its absolute rubbish.

anyone who did a bit of Science in school will know that water consists of both hydrogen and oxygen. They're in a ratio of 2:1(hence why its called H2O) respectively. There are 9000 cubic metres of water available to use per annum. We only use 3000 m^3 per annum.

As well as solving the problem of the water constantly rising in the world, we would be pputting more oxygen into the world. Someone tell me how that is bad for the planet.

Cars will be the new trees I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Gegerty wrote: »
    Cars will be the new trees I like it!
    You like that? Just wait until you meet Santa Claus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    There is as it currently costs quite a lot (in a lot of ways) to produce and store hydrogen.

Unless we start extracting it from outer space, no we can't just find some more. We have to make produce it.

What about that device you mentioned that Honda invented so that you can recharge your fuel cell Honda from the comfort of your home? Like everything new its expensive but give it time and it will become a lot more affordable. 2/3 rds of the world is covered in water, and we have massive problems with sea levels rising. I already mentioned that we only use 1/3rd of the water available to us at present(which makes all the harder to understand why there are so many water shortages in the world, but thats another day's work, and not for Motors). Why not put all that extra water to use and use it to make Hydrogen? They had a gadget in school for separating water into its 2 basic components of Hydrogen and Oxygen. I forget what it was called.
    Just cos *you* don't understand it. Read it again. It's all explained.

Anything it said about the BMW's enviornmental performance is just as valid for the Honda FCX. There isn't a special hydrogen for internal combustion engines and another special hydrogen for Fuel Cells.

Left lane news has the follwing as posted by one person(not me!)
    And here is how you can manufacture hydrogen. Use electricity to electrolyze water. How do you get electricity? You could use solar energy to do so (Honda is already doing that at its refueling station in SoCal, one of the reasons this car will be offered only in that region). Or, you could use Honda’s Home Energy Station that takes natural gas, and not only does it help extract hydrogen, it also has two additional functionalities built-in: water heater for the house, and electricity generator. In this case, if you run the system using solar power, the only association of petroleum would depend on how your energy company supplies to natural gas. Besides solar, electricity could be generated using hydro and wind power, couldn’t it?

When the Honda runs it only emits water vapour. When the BMW runs on hydrogen it too only emits water vapour. Whats the difference there?
    Did you actually do science? If you did you would know that increasing the oxygen content in the air is bad. Potentially fatal.

Hmm I suppose that explains why Volvo has their PremAir filter because it converts O3 to Oxygen:rolleyes:. According to the Volvo Owner's Club,
    :"The Volvo PremAir system makes a major contribution to air quality........converts up to 75% of ground level Ozone passing through it to Oxygen. This reduces harmful pollutants in the enviornment...."

And why we have tree huggers. And why we need more of it because theres more people living today.

I know it can be dangerous.What is one of the three things needed to keep a fire going?(Rethorical Q). But so can just about everything else too.
    It would be hugely wasteful of hydrogen to use it in that BMW.

Holy Christ. Your love of all things Honda and hatred of anything even remotely close to do with BMW is clouding your judgement methinks! Admit that if it had that precious Honda badge it wouldn't be a waste at all:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ah E92, give it a rest.

At 5mpg efficiency isn't on BMW's list.

Too much O2 is bad, too much ozone is worse.

Right now most hydrogen is made from or using fossil fuels. Environmentally friendly methods aren't widespread outside of California.

It doesn't matter what badge is on it, it's still sh!te.

Ah E92, give it a rest.
    Too much O2 is bad, too much ozone is worse.

I will but I want to know why too much O2 is bad and too much Ozone is worse?

I mean Ozone is what prevents the ice caps and stuff melting/slows down their melting process. And protects us from UV rays from the sun.

I'm getting sick of this too, so just tell me, and I'll gladly leave it alone then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Holy Christ. Your love of all things BMW and hatred of anything even remotely close to do with anything other than BMW is clouding your judgement methinks! Admit that if it had that precious BMW badge it wouldn't be a waste at all:D.

E92 - I've added a possible response to your quote. Citing blind loyalties is a little rich come from you.

BTW I own a Honda and a BMW :D

jayok wrote: »
    E92 - I've added a possible response to your quote. Citing blind loyalties is a little rich come from you.

BTW I own a Honda and a BMW :D

I don't own a BMW. I have a Volvo S40, and not even the one based on the Ford Focus. So much for me having blind loyalty then, having a car thats pretty much the polar opposite of a BMW, eh?

And don't go using my name to say something I never said:mad:. You know I never said that. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I don't own a BMW. I have a Volvo S40, and not even the one based on the Ford Focus. So much for me having blind loyalty then, having a car thats pretty much the polar opposite of a BMW, eh?

And don't go using my name to say something I never said:mad:. You know I never said that. End of.

You own a Volvo but you want a BMW. Worse again - don't practice what you preach. Own a BMW and understand its limits. But this doesn't stop your blind loyalty for the brand.

I've edited the post to update the quoted section, I wasn't trying to mis-quote you hence the text detailing a possible response I apologize if it was construed as such. Just pointing out that it's a little hypocritical you calling someone blinded by the brand!

Meh - I don't really care anyway there's enough sh1te spouted around here.

E92, google why too much oxygen is bad. Ozone is simpler: it's poisonous.

I don't have a hatred of BMW, I have a hatred of contantly pimping BMW, especially claiming something is brilliant about BMW when it's clearly not.

You stated before you have a Volvo, but not out of choice.

jayok wrote: »
    You own a Volvo but you want a BMW. Worse again - don't practice what you preach. Own a BMW and understand its limits. But this doesn't stop your blind loyalty for the brand.

I've edited the post to update the quoted section, I wasn't trying to mis-quote you hence the text detailing a possible response I apologize if it was construed as such. Just pointing out that it's a little hypocritical you calling someone blinded by the brand!

Meh - I don't really care anyway there's enough sh1te spouted around here.

Re: your apology fair enough, I probably overreacted a little, but I was completely p1ssed off that your were quoting something about me that was completely untrue.

As for me being hypocritical, wanting a BMW but driving a Volvo, well I don't just like BMW's. I like lots of cars. FWIW I don't like bringing in personal details(we all have user names for anonymity) but since I'm in college, I certainly can not/will not pay for a BMW. I've got loads of time to enjoy and afford BMW ownership, when I'm older and in a full time job! And I've a very limited knowledge of what goes on under the bonnet, so if anything went wrong, I'd be pretty fooked! Anyway, I already mentioned this but to reiterate, I like lots of cars other than BMWs.

And there are loads of cars that I like, and not that many are BMWs. I've always like cars from the Blue Oval for a start. I even like the current Avensis, and I normally am not that keen on Toyota. There are even BMW's I don't like:eek:(like the E65 7 series, the looks alone are enough for me)!

And obviously the usual supercars etc. Ever heard a V12 Ferrari Enzo? The noise is worth the price alone. A milllion billion times better than any BMW straight 6. And FWIW the current M5 sounds rubbish on a drive by. One flew past me the other day and I thought it was a diesel(it sounds like a diesel at idle)!

• Advertisement

E92, google why too much oxygen is bad. Ozone is simpler: it's poisonous.

That answers that. As for BMW, I admit hatred was perhaps too stong a word to use, but you certainly are no fan of them. You've even said it yourself before(IIRC when we were advising MarkN to buy either the 335i or the 3.2 A5).

For me the Hydrogen7 is impressive. I've given my reasons already, no need to repeat myself again. And the FCX is impressive too. I started the thread for that precise reason. To point out the FCX to everyone else and how it is a remarkable feat of engineering.

but you certainly are no fan of them.
    No, not a fan, because I've never really been impressed. I'm seriously hoping what they label as EfficientDynamics (which sounds like a bad name the Japs would come up with), is as good as it's made out to me. Equally as important is that it is reliable. If it's not, it gets a bad name, and into the bin it goes.
    To point out the FCX to everyone else and how it is a remarkable feat of engineering.
    It's not usual for you to credit Honda with anything, I think you'll admit... it's usually the opposite. From what I've read it seems to be a good product. I can't agree on the H7 tho, I really can't. Going on what I've read I'm probably with the majority on this one too. But it is BMW, and lots of people will buy for the badge.. I see that the limited run of H7s are being snapped up by Holywood A-listers.

No, not a fan, because I've never really been impressed. I'm seriously hoping what they label as EfficientDynamics (which sounds like a bad name the Japs would come up with), is as good as it's made out to me. Equally as important is that it is reliable. If it's not, it gets a bad name, and into the bin it goes.

Each to their own I suppose. Nothing wrong with that. EfficientDynamics is of course using some hybrid tech, and hybrid tech seems to be holding up so far and now that 2007 marks 10 years since we had the very first Prius, I presume it's reliable. If BMW can't get it to be reliable, then its not good news for their X6 Hybrid(available from 2009). As for whether it works on not i.e increases mpg, time will tell, I've no idea whether it does or not, but I hope for BMWs sake it does. Their sales are going up yet profits are going down.

As for bad names re EfficientDynamics, lets not go there with Honda. Flexible Recreational Vehicle anyone? Or Comfortable Runabout Vehicle? Or my favourite the "Joy Machine":D aka the Hybrid Recreational Vehicle aka the High Riding Vehicle? I don't think EfficientDynamics is a bad name. I do think Progressive Activity Sedan(new BMW MPV I think) is a very bad name. Or Sports Activity Coupé(X6), that sucks too.
    It's not usual for you to credit Honda with anything, I think you'll admit... it's usually the opposite.

I'll credit something where I feel credit is due. In my OP I did say
    E92 wrote:
    Seriously though, we need more cars like the FCX, and fair f**ks to Honda for making it available to the public. Between them and BMW with their Hydrogen 7, its good to see some car makers actually talk the talk and walk the walk.

As for not crediting Hondas usually, well I wouldn't want to be stealing your thunder:p!

Coincidentally having seen a video showing the way ED works the one way it differs from true hybrids is the way it restarts the engine: using the regular starter motor. This is the component I'd have concern about as starter motors wear out in ordinary cars as do the flywheels they engage. Hybrids use the frictionless hybrid motor to restart.

Yup, Honda have some seriously crap names.. there are worse than what you've listed. In their defence English isn't their first language either.

This is the component I'd have concern about as starter motors wear out in ordinary cars as do the flywheels they engage. Hybrids use the frictionless hybrid motor to restart.

Didn't know that. The BMW's system can be turned off if you don't like it,or perhaps if you're concerned about that feature. I presume it will be reliable, BMW's are usually grand for reliability AFAIK. Time will tell whether it's any good or not.
    Yup, Honda have some seriously crap names.. there are worse than what you've listed. In their defence English isn't their first language either.

Neither is English the first language for BMW! Though most Germans have a very high standard of English. Some of them speak better English than we do! As for bad names, Honda aren't the only Japanese make guilty of that charge(though they managed to have the Fit, Passport, and perhaps you might be able to tell me what CR-X stood for), what about the Mitsubishi Starion, or was it the Stallion:D?

And:D, after months of wondering, I'm after finally figuring out what your name stands for, it had been bugging me for ages cause I obviously knew it was something to do with Honda, but its the first 3 letters of a Honda VIN and the last 2 are the EG Civic.

The phrase Hondamentalism could have been invented for you:p!

The BMW's system can be turned off if you don't like it,or perhaps if you're concerned about that feature.
    But surely that defeats the purpose?
    Neither is English the first language for BMW!
    I did say either! Tho the guys that come up with the names for the JDM models obviously have no English at all. I did see a program on TV a few years ago that noted that any English text on stuff makes it look good to the ordinary Japanese, even tho they have no idea what it means.
    perhaps you might be able to tell me what CR-X stood for)
    No idea! But I have to admit I always liked it.
    And:D, after months of wondering, I'm after finally figuring out what your name stands for, it had been bugging me for ages cause I obviously knew it was something to do with Honda, but its the first 3 letters of a Honda VIN and the last 2 are the EG Civic.
    The phrase Hondamentalism could have been invented for you:p!
    Hats off to you for being the first person to spot it in 4 years!;) Even tho I spotted that E92 must be some BMW the first day I saw it! So... pot.. kettle... black, eh?:D And I don't even know anything about BMW, tho do I see E36 (can't remember which one that is) mentioned here on a weekly basis.

(JHMEG were the 1st 5 digits of the chassis number of the car I owned when I registered for boards.ie)

But surely that defeats the purpose?

How did I know you were going to say that! I don't know why they let you tuurn it off, its only speculation by me.
    I did say either! Tho the guys that come up with the names for the JDM models obviously have no English at all. I did see a program on TV a few years ago that noted that any English text on stuff makes it look good to the ordinary Japanese, even tho they have no idea what it means.

Yes but the whole thing was
    JHMEG wrote:
    , which I interpreted to mean that you were referring to just Honda.

Ever been to Germany? The same story goes on there. An advertisement is "cool" if it has lots of catchy slogans in English there too. Not surprisingly do Honda use "The Power of Dreams" and Ford use "Feel the Difference" as slogans there(in English just like here) then.
    No idea! But I have to admit I always liked it.
    Is that because you know and are too embarrassed to tell us:p? I always hada soft spot for the del sol model actually, no idea why!

Apparantly it stands for "Civic Renaissance eXperimental" according to Honda Resource
    Hats off to you for being the first person to spot it in 4 years!;) Even tho I spotted that E92 must be some BMW the first day I saw it! So... pot.. kettle... black, eh?:D And I don't even know anything about BMW, tho do I see E36 (can't remember which one that is) mentioned here on a weekly basis.

(JHMEG were the 1st 5 digits of the chassis number of the car I owned when I registered for boards.ie)

I'm getting praise from you:eek::p! Well thanks very much!

As for BMW E numbers, doesn't everyone know what BMW E numbers are:D?(E36 was the 3 series from 91-98 btw, but I'm sure you knew that)

Seriously though, the E numbers are fairly well known I would have though, kinda like they way it is with Honda codes like DC2 and DC5 and EJ and EH etc(though more people seem to be inclided to use the codes for BMW than any other make, I like to use the codes for every car if I know them/can find the on the internet, though unsurprisingly I know more of the BMW ones than any other make).

E92(current 3 series Coupé) FWIW was the most recent BMW available to the public when I joined boards(though the E93 was very close to being released, but I never liked the idea of Coupé Cabrios), hence why I chose it.

Advertisement