Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Document Hosting

Options
  • 15-11-2007 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm doing a college project at the moment and woudl appreciate some advice.

I have several jpg's stored on a hard drive. They are of documents that have been scanned, such as purchase orders, invoices etc. They are organised into different sections such as Finance=>Invoices=>March07, etc.

Is it possible to host these jpgs? ie. A user can access the documents via the web. Be able to keep the current structure of the folders on the hard drive. So the user could login over the web, click on Finance, then Invoices, then March 07 etc etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭FindingNemo

jamieh wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm doing a college project at the moment and woudl appreciate some advice.

I have several jpg's stored on a hard drive. They are of documents that have been scanned, such as purchase orders, invoices etc. They are organised into different sections such as Finance=>Invoices=>March07, etc.

Is it possible to host these jpgs? ie. A user can access the documents via the web. Be able to keep the current structure of the folders on the hard drive. So the user could login over the web, click on Finance, then Invoices, then March 07 etc etc?

Hi there...

Not entirely 100% certain what you're trying to do .. but here's my 2 cent..

you can create a website and use hyperlinks to where your files are...obviously you'd need to ensure connection issues etc etc..

or do you want the pictures etc to be shown on the web page ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

YOu wouldn't even need a website - assuming the jpgs have a descriptive filename then just stick them up (including the folder structure) onto any webspace and trun on directory browsing.
    However, you will presumably need some level of security so (if using a linux server) then implement a .htaccess login.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi lads,

Thanks for the replies.

I was just thinking I could set it up like an intranet. I doesn't have to be over the web.

So could I create a home page with links to the folders, eg. \\server01\docs\finance etc, and just setup permissions etc.

I presume I would need a service such as IIS on the server?

Also, is it a big job to encorporate metadata to the jpgs to enhance search functionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I'm sure there's a file browsing PHP script out there for the taking - google "PHP filebrowser"

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Sounds like your just looking for an ftp esq server???

FileZilla maybe? ... What does this have to do with programming?

• Advertisement
Advertisement