Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Bank Exchanging Punts

Options
  • 15-11-2007 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I couldn't really see a better forum to post in so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I recently got given £30 in "old money" and I want to exchange it into euro. I know the Central Bank exchange Punts forever but I've no idea about how to go about it. Can you just stroll up to the central bank and walk in the front door? It sounds stupid but I've no idea. I assumed it was really an economist's place as opposed to a normal bank.

Any help would be great!

Bobby

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, just walk in the front door. There'll be a guy behind a desk, just ask him where you go. They still exchange a fair bit every week, I believe, so it won't be an unusual question for him.

And in case you ever need it again in the future, there's a Banking, Insurance and Pensions forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From citizensinformation.ie
    Exchanging Irish banknotes and coin

The Central Bank of Ireland will exchange all Irish banknotes and coins for euro indefinitely (i.e. for many years to come). If you call into the Central Bank, banknotes to the value of £3,000 (3,800 euro) per transaction can be exchanged. If you wish to exchange more than £3,000 for euro, the value in euro will be forwarded to you as a cheque through the post. If you wish to exchange Irish coins for euro, values up to £500 (635 euro) can be exchanged immediately. If you have more than £500 in coins, the euro value will be forwarded to you as a cheque through the post. (All coins must be separated by denomination and presented in coin bags).

You can call into the Central Bank or you can send Irish banknotes to the Central Bank by registered post and you will receive their value in euro by cheque. (See address under 'Where to apply').

So you can either call in or send the money in by registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

TBH, you might get more for it if you sell it privately (if it's in good nick) - collector's item.

Advertisement