Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercool Me!

Options
  • 15-11-2007 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

So, i wanna watercool my pc. Im completely new to this so im gonna need some help.

Firstly, what retailer is best for price and service?

And would you guys recommend any particular items for the pc in my sig?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Hi , man
    First of all-I feel your pain :D
    I did some price comparison , best option would be http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/home.php?cat=126Plenty off options to choose from and very cheap delivery -10 pounds....
    Forget OCUK -expensive stuff , small range of items , 30 euro delivery......
    http:www.watercooling.de/-good prices , slow delivery.....

http://www.petrastechshop.com/index.html-best range , loads of stuff , cheap , 70$ delivery :(....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Man you fail at links :D

but yeah, specialtech seems about the best.

Also anyone if its possible to mount a triple rad vertically along the back of a computer, using spacers to leave enough room for cables etc (by screwing rad mounts into side panel thumbscrew holes) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

That's what I'm planing to do :

[IMG][/img]yhst-65556269779593_1976_57960393.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Well sure its possible, just put a bit of thought into it as the stacker owner there did. And for the setup I'd say something along the lines of a D-Tek Fuzion, MCR320 or PA120.3, Laing D5, MCW60 or a nice full cover block for the GTX.

wow, i nearly creamed my pants when i saw that stacker :O

anyone know where i can buy the mounts for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

theres no mounts just the siftech fan extender thingy.they have them on petras have a look.

yeah i saw those nuts on petra, but they dont look long enough to go through the radiator and still give enough clearance for video cable etc.

How does this look?
    list.jpg
    Total: 392.44

Any of that overpriced / overkill?

Everything looks good except I wouldn't get that graphics card block, get the EK block or the swiftech stealth. And maybe some Feser One coolant would be better than that thermaltake stuff.

ok, nice one.

i have 11mm hose there which is equal to 7/16 of an inch, i heard that 7/16 hose on half inch barbs wont need clips to hold them on?

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    ok, nice one.

i have 11mm hose there which is equal to 7/16 of an inch, i heard that 7/16 hose on half inch barbs wont need clips to hold them on?

you heard right;)

is it worth cooling the northbridge?

and how do i uv'ise the setup, uv tubes or coolant?

awhir wrote: »
    you heard right;)

Damn right.
    Ever try to get 7/16" on or off a D5, all I can say is good luck, you'll be tearing your hair out!
    And its not really worth cooling the northbridge, although I am in my new setup. I mean it wont effect overclocking, a passive heatpipe thing should be plenty of cooling. But if you want get an EK block or a swiftech MCW30. And the feser one coolants are uv reactive, you just need a UV CCFL to make it glow.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Oh please, do yourself a favour and get the EK 8800 GTX waterblock. I've tested loads of waterblocks, but this one is by far the best.
    I have a mATX case and things tend to get pretty hot in there.
    I had to underclock my 8800GTX from 575/1800 to 400/1400, in order to keep the idle temps below 65-70, before.
    Now with the EK waterblock on it, and with a quad core at 3600MHz and at 100% cpu load all 4 cores (24/7 BOINC), the idle temps of my 8800GTX never go above 35-40C, and that's overclocked to 600/2000 :D

All the temps:

tempseo8.jpg

As you can see, the Apogee is not doing a bad job with the quad either ;)

ok, thanks for the tip.

nice temps btw.

ya im gona w8 for the new Ek block that coming out in around 2 weeks.also like supporting small european companys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hang on for the fans and some of the WC stuff. I'm going to be selling a box full of unused WC parts this coming week, once I've discovered what's in it.

e.g. I just found a brand new Storm block that I had forgotten I had :)

lol I have a triple Thermochill 120.3 rad, a single Alphacool 120 rad, a huge (35cm) aluminum tank which also works like a rad, tubes, a million Swiftech and noname fittings...
    Just sitting in the closet, next to C2Ds and mobos that are also not used :s

WizZard wrote: »
    Hang on for the fans and some of the WC stuff. I'm going to be selling a box full of unused WC parts this coming week, once I've discovered what's in it.

sounds good man, gimme a pm when you get it?

WizZard wrote: »

wizzard can you also give me a pm when you have it listed.the storms are good for single cores but arent that good anymore for more demanding quad and dual core cpu's.

Chosen wrote: »
    lol I have a triple Thermochill 120.3 rad, a single Alphacool 120 rad, a huge (35cm) aluminum tank which also works like a rad, tubes, a million Swiftech and noname fittings...
    Just sitting in the closet, next to C2Ds and mobos that are also not used :s

is it a PA 120.3 ? is so i will take it of ur hands.you state the price ;)

• Advertisement

Not to rain on anybodys parade, but I wouldn't be using a storm for anything anymore. They were probably the best blocks ever made (well the Storm G5) but they're not right for IHS'ed multi core cpu's, all the cooling is centred right in the middle of the block, perfect for naked single cores but not duals and quads.

awhir wrote: »
    is it a PA 120.3 ? is so i will take it of ur hands.you state the price ;)

I think it's the HE120.3, the previous version. About 10% worse than the PA, but still miles better than any Swiftech, Alphacool or BlackIce one :)

I think it's the HE120.3, the previous version. About 10% worse than the PA, but still miles better than any Swiftech, Alphacool or BlackIce one :)

feck :( looken for a PA.well if you find 1 in ur box give me a shout :p

Yeah but you need like deltas, its damn restrictive to airflow.

WOW.

Just put this list together on Petras Tech Shop.

D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2" $61.99

Laing D5 Basic/D-Tek/Danger Den D5 Inline 12V DC Pump $71.99

HW Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360 $64.45

* Additional Barbs : 1/2'' EK High Flow (+ 4.50)

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir $19.95

7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing $4.90

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - 3.5 gram tube $5.99 x2 $11.98

EK-FC8800GTX Full Cover Waterblock for nVidia 8800 GTX $124.98

* Add Acetal Top : Yes (+ 14.99)

120mm x 38mm Sunon KDE1212PMB3-6A Double Ball Bearing 4pin Case Fan (108 CFM/42 dBA) $10.74 x3 $32.22

Subtotal: $392.46
    Total: $392.46

Converts to 267.60 in euro, considerably cheaper :O

That HWlabs rad sucks, Thermochill or Swiftech nothing else is worth buying IMO.

yeah i know, i just put that there because the thermochill one is out of order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

42db is pretty damn loud. My case fans are 29db and barely audible. And remember every 3db is double the noise.

ya you dont need such powerfull fans for thermochill/siftech rads performence is still good with flow nice fans like yates.

• Advertisement

ok, ill keep that in mind.

will a double rad be enough cooling for cpu + gpu or will i need a triple?

Advertisement