Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there actually any decent broadband services in Ireland?

Options
  • 15-11-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

I have the 6 mb line from NTL and i don't find any problems with it. When i first got it i had problems with it disconnecting. But in the last 5 months it has gone off maybe twice at most. I get good download speeds, even on torrents. My biggest problem with them is their cap which isn't a huge deal since i can exceed it a bit.

What i really want to know, is there a broadband service that nearly everyone agrees is good or the most reliable or the best?

there seems to be a lot of people who find faults with all the ISP's.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't think I've heard a bad word about smart or magnet. Their tv service are meant to be crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Im with Bt 3mb,never had any problems with them,connection has dropped like twice in the last year for a few hours,thats been it really...

I go way over my cap every month (50gb to 80gb) with nothing said about it...

8mb would be nice though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    8mb would be nice though

I forgot they did the 8meg. BT's billing department is meant to be crap though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is an oul bit of fibre somewhere in Ireland thats meant to be mighty stuff .

We never hear any complaints on this Board about Casey Cablevision who have had 9mbits entry level BB in Dungarvan for years and will be the FIRST ISP IN IRELAND to celebrate the 10th anniversary of their BB launch next year .

The only complaint about Casey is that their users have been stuck on 9mbits for the past 3 years and surely they must be due an upgrade .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is an oul bit of fibre somewhere in Ireland thats meant to be mighty stuff .

We never hear any complaints on this Board about Casey Cablevision who have had 9mbits entry level BB in Dungarvan for years and will be the FIRST ISP IN IRELAND to celebrate the 10th anniversary of their BB launch next year .
    Although I'm sure that they must know what they are doing if they have been providing it for almost 10 years, They only provide for a small amount of users compared to other companies so I doubt there is more than a handful of users on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I forgot to mention another very decent service with 9mbit entry level , thats Crossan Cable in Longford.

He did not ask about decent services in Dublin ( there are none bar a few fibred estates with proper backhaul randomly dotted here and there) , but about Ireland . There are places in Dublin where you can't even get decent telly , never mind BB and have to use ripwave , eg this place

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=275348

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I don't beleive the Goverment has a definition of Broadband or Decent.
    The OECD may have a definition of what broadband is and what "decent" provision is.
    But if you ask Sponge Bob for examples of the reporting of the former and how the later is monitored he will need a dose of smelling salts and strong drink after the fit.

I'm on 10Mbps. You can get 20Mbps without DSL or fibre, but expensive.

I think 1Mbps @ < 50ms is typical entry level, but there are a lot products sold as Broadband that are typically 200k or less and typically over 150ms, and even more than 850ms + (which is Satellite latency).
    These people will soon have fibre cheaper than our linerental+DSL
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7081214.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

the reason smart are pretty good is because they dont have a huge amount of customers after that eircom incident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

strongr wrote: »
    the reason smart are pretty good is because they dont have a huge amount of customers after that eircom incident
    I don't believe that for a second. Smart are good because they know what they are doing and have to ability to look further than the end of their nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

BT's billing department is meant to be crap though.

I've had their 2m over a year and no problems, recieve my online bill on and around the 8th of every second month and debited at the end of the month before the next arrives, no problems! and the actual BB is spot on, no faults tho I did change to openDNS months ago

• Advertisement

Anyone lucky enough to be getting magnets 24mb connection on friday?

http://www.magnet.ie/news/27-11-05.shtml

How long before it becomes more affordable?

24Mb
    250GB download

1gb in 9 minutes,give or take

:D

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Anyone lucky enough to be getting magnets 24mb connection on friday?

http://www.magnet.ie/news/27-11-05.shtml

How long before it becomes more affordable?

24Mb
    250GB download

1gb in 9 minutes,give or take

:D

You should learn to read the story and not just the headline.
    The offer is currently available to over 100,000 homes in Dublin and Magnet Networks is taking orders from Galway, Cork, Limerick and Waterford residents where the service will launch at the start of 2006.

I think they have pulled out of doing LLU and are just focusing on FTTH.

You should learn to read the story and not just the headline.

I think they have pulled out of doing LLU and are just focusing on FTTH.

:eek:

Its 2 years old,must get glasses lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you can get them, Smart are very good.
    Hardly any people leave Smart once they get to them, despite almost every single customer being one who knows how to move provider.

203140840.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

magnet only offer dsl services to new customer sthrough magnetbusiness.ie nowadays.

i signed up in february and have been on 8meg with only 1 dropoff for 40 minutes in the whole time.
    the service is, imo, the best thing since sliced bread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I find IBB to be extremely good tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Yup, I agree that Smart is very good. Been with them for over a year and the speeds are always good, reliability is always good, the pricing is good (for both the broadband and landline services) and the lack of a download cap is one less thing to worry about.

Their customer support was impossible to contact at first, but these days they're easily reachable by phone and email, so no problems. Go Smart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I'm with smart and they are very good, took about 4 attempts to actually join them as eircom keep blocking the transfer.
    8meg line so can normally get 900k plus downloads and quick as well. for less then i was paying for the eircom 2 meg

Advertisement