Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lazy Teachers

• 15-11-2007 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

What do you think of the fact that teachers are entitled to a week off for their wedding? I'm not joking, if a teacher gets married during the school year they are entitled to the week off, paid. Is this not taking the piss?

Also, I know of a teacher who took a week off to get laser eye treatment. Shouldn't she just have done this during the summer, or the Halloween week off, or waited until the three weeks off at Christmas, or even the Easter holidays??? (Some) Teachers are the laziest people in Ireland! They seem to have the weakest work ethic and strongest sense of entitlement I have ever come across outside of an umemployed person who has no intention of looking for work, ever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dame wrote: »
    Also, I know of a teacher who took a week off to get laser eye treatment.

I work in the private sector and took three weeks off (medical cert for all 3 weeks) for laser eye treatment, am I a sponge? :confused:

Loads of companies give days off for your wedding too, 3 days seems to be standard.
    MBNA in Leitrim gives €1000 afaik.

You do have a point-they have so many free days but they insist on having parent teacher meetings or staff meetings on school days.
    Could they not just use a free day?
    And they won't stay late to meet parents who want to come after their 9-5 job finishes.

The strike a few years ago backfired big time, Irish people seem to have little sympathy for public sector staff moaning about their permanent, pensionable jobs these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

there are some really good teachers out there but there's just far too many who are useless lazy bollockses and bring the system down with them. I wouldn't be too bothered about the days off, it's more what they don't do when they work that gets to me. the system is a joke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Also, I know of a teacher who took a week off to get laser eye treatment. Shouldn't she just have done this during the summer, or the Halloween week off, or waited until the three weeks off at Christmas, or even the Easter holidays???
    Agreed. That's a joke.
    (Some) Teachers are the laziest people in Ireland! They seem to have the weakest work ethic and strongest sense of entitlement I have ever come across outside of an umemployed person who has no intention of looking for work, ever.
    They're responsible for the education of 30 kids though - that's some task. I certainly wouldn't do it - fabulous holidays and early finishing times every day or not. And even though they finish nice and early, they have to spend a huge amount of time outside of the classroom, preparing for future days. My friend is usually busy all evening every evening.
    micmclo wrote: »
    I work in the private sector and took three weeks off (medical cert for all 3 weeks) for laser eye treatment, am I a sponge? :confused:
    Are you a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Dudess wrote: »
    My friend is usually busy all evening every evening.

Your friend must be doing her Dip year then. Teachers usually give up all those hours of prep every evening once they're over that first year. Ask any teacher (who has been qualified a few years) if you can see their lesson plans and they won't have many recent ones (or any at all) to show you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You do have a point-they have so many free days but they insist on having parent teacher meetings or staff meetings on school days.
    And they won't stay late to meet parents who want to come after their 9-5 job finishes.

The strike a few years ago backfired big time, Irish people seem to have little sympathy for public sector staff moaning about their permanent, pensionable jobs these days.

That's not strictly true. I am a teacher and half of all parent teacher meetings have to take place outside school hours. i have a meeting next week and I will be in school until 6.45pm. Big deal I hear you say, lots of people work until that time every night, but I like a lot of other people didn't get into teaching because of the short hours/long holidays. I do actually like my job and I do spend many hours after school preparing work for classes - not lesson plans, but handouts, overheads, revision notes, correcting exams etc.

And while teaching may seem like a cushy number in terms of the hours worked and permanent pensionable jobs, that's not really the case, a lot of older teachers have permanent jobs, that's true but for anyone coming into teaching they can wait years for a permanent job if they ever get one, lots o my colleagues are waiting at the end of every school year to see if their contract will be renewed the following year... and sometimes they aren't.

And to be honest, I wasn't aware of the whole wedding leave thing until I had been teaching a few years, a few people avail of it, but to be honest if it was offered in any other job, i'm sure people would avail of it there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, she did her dip a couple of years ago. I suppose there's gonna be a difference to your workload depending on whether you get the same class every year or keep getting moved to different ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hi folks,

What do you think of the fact that teachers are entitled to a week off for their wedding? I'm not joking, if a teacher gets married during the school year they are entitled to the week off, paid. Is this not taking the piss?

Also, I know of a teacher who took a week off to get laser eye treatment. Shouldn't she just have done this during the summer, or the Halloween week off, or waited until the three weeks off at Christmas, or even the Easter holidays??? (Some) Teachers are the laziest people in Ireland! They seem to have the weakest work ethic and strongest sense of entitlement I have ever come across outside of an umemployed person who has no intention of looking for work, ever.

its a job, they are not there to please kids or parents its a job something im betting you dont have.

ffs

what a dumb assed post.

kdjac

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My other half is a teacher.
    She spends most evenings marking or preparing. She also has other school things on. She also does school related stuff during the summer.
    Teachers may have long holidays. However, you could have become a teacher had you wanted to so don't begrudge someone for having something you didn't bother trying for.
    Also, teachers do have the crappy role of trying to rear the children of the country as many parents live in a sort of dreamworld about their responsibilities.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    its a job something im betting you dont have.

What did you want to bet on it? You've lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Also, I know of a teacher who took a week off to get laser eye treatment. Shouldn't she just have done this during the summer, or the Halloween week off, or waited until the three weeks off at Christmas, or even the Easter holidays???
    Maybe that teacher wasn't able to arrange the appointment during a holiday period. Perhaps he/she was only able to be seen to during the school year. It's not impossible.
    This is a very sweeping statement. I finished my secondary school education in 2002 and up until then, any parent/teacher meeting that involved me (primary & secondary school) started at around 7PM or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I have a company car with free diesel. Its a perk. I work bloody hard for it.

Teachers work hard. They have perks.

I don't see what the problem here is?

The only people who get paid too much and get too many perks are elected officials.

Should you want a week off for your wedding and/or laser eye treatment, I'd suggest you become a teacher.

Primary teachers very very rarely spend time in the evenings marking work. They are usually expected to do a set of standard tests every year and will probably mark those outside of school, but otherwise they will generally mark things during the day.

Secondary teachers might have more need to mark things outside of school hours (class tests, mock exams, etc). Then again, secondary teachers may have free periods during their day which very few primary teachers have. Those free periods can be used for marking.

Primary teachers can do optional training (a few days) during the summer but doing it gives them "course days" that they may take at any stage during the next school year. I presume this is what kbannon was referring to? Secondary teachers have the option of supervising exams or marking exams, both of which they will be paid for (on top of their salary for working the rest of the year). If it's optional then they can't really complain about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Teachers deserve the time off.

I was a complete prick in school. Looking back, I wouldn't inflict the 14 year old me on my worst enemy. There were quite a few like me too and that was in a small (at the time) school.

Picture having to put up with a bunch of obnoxious teenagers every day or think back to your own school days.
    Now imagine yourself on the other side of the desk having to put up with all those dicks in your class.

Thats just crap.
    My wife frequently has to stay late in school for parent/teacher meetings. Tonight her school had an open night which wrapped up about 10pm.
    As for staff meetings, I don't know who makes the decision but she certainly has no say in the matter.
    Please don't make uneducated sweeping statements.

Maybe that teacher wasn't able to arrange the appointment during a holiday period.

They had the option of getting it done during the Christmas break (after the Christmas and New Year) but chose to get it done earlier.

Primary teachers can do optional training (a few days) during the summer but doing it gives them "course days" that they may take at any stage during the next school year. I presume this is what kbannon was referring to? Secondary teachers have the option of supervising exams or marking exams, both of which they will be paid for (on top of their salary for working the rest of the year). If it's optional then they can't really complain about it.
    Nope, she does school related stuff. This summer she spent a good bit of time managing the stock list, a role she was given but not paid for!
    She has done the exam supervision/marking but the money wasn't worth the hassle.

connundrum wrote: »
    Should you want a week off for your wedding and/or laser eye treatment, I'd suggest you become a teacher.

Nah, I had far too many leaving cert points to be a teacher! :D
    Besides, as others have pointed out, why would you want to put up with teenagers every day? :D If you choose to though you shouldn't complain about it.

kbannon wrote: »
    Nope, she does school related stuff. This summer she spent a good bit of time managing the stock list, a role she was given but not paid for!

Oh well, it'll be someone else's turn in the future.

Primary teachers very very rarely spend time in the evenings marking work. They are usually expected to do a set of standard tests every year and will probably mark those outside of school, but otherwise they will generally mark things during the day.

Secondary teachers might have more need to mark things outside of school hours (class tests, mock exams, etc). Then again, secondary teachers may have free periods during their day which very few primary teachers have. Those free periods can be used for marking.

I usually end up spending my 'free classes' supervising other classes if teachers are out sick etc, or photo-copying material, preparing materials in the lab for a practical class (i'm a science teacher), cleaning glassware in the lab, dealing with paperwork, fixing computers and a million and one other things that i'm not going to mention here. I rarely have time in school to mark work.

On top of that, I take girl's soccer, school table quiz teams, school website maintenance, school tours, all in my own time. As do many of my colleagues. Much of this takes place after school. Earlier this evening I was working backstage at the school musical as I will be for the rest of this week. Many teachers give up their time willingly to get involved in lots of extra-curricular activities which students would not have the opportunity to get involved in if teachers didn't volunteer to do it.

And there are many parents who are appreciative of these activities being provided for their children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm not teaching long but I often stay past 5 or 6pm, and then do an hour or two of work at night. I also work a half day at least every second Saturday.

Now.. Im not screaming for more money, Im just saying not all teachers walk when the bell rings. I certainly can't/don't.
    They are usually expected to do a set of standard tests every year and will probably mark those outside of school, but otherwise they will generally mark things during the day.

I haven't got time to mark anything during the day. I'm too busy teaching!

• Advertisement

And there are many parents who are appreciative of these activities being provided for their children.

Good for you. I'll be appreciative too when my children reach that stage and I did appreciate extra-curricular activities when I was in school.

However, it does seem particularly scabby for teachers to purposely arrange their wedding so that they will get the week off (when they have 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 months holidays in the year already) and to book yourself in for an unnecessary (I mean medically unnecessary) elective surgery during school time and take a week or more off for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ok, I want to retract my comment that teachers don't stay late.:o

What I vaguely remember from the strike a few years back was any extra parent or staff meetings had to be on school days and there were disputes about staying late to meet parents.
    I do remember my own parent teacher meetings were on school time and certainly didn't run past 5pm.
    Like the nurses dispute, initally they had sympathy and people quickly turned against them. Such as refusing to supervise the yards during breaks??

But as stated lots if not most teachers are excellent and and do help in GAA, quiz teams and school plays when they don't have to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Its like any job, some people get away with taking the pi55 and give the rest a bad name, and the strike really didn't help their case, a bad move.

However, it does seem particularly scabby for teachers to purposely arrange their wedding so that they will get the week off (when they have 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 months holidays in the year already) and to book yourself in for an unnecessary (I mean medically unnecessary) elective surgery during school time and take a week or more off for it.

Well just like anyone else trying to pay for a wedding, it's cheaper to get married in the middle of November than in July so I can't blame some of them for doing it really.

And people in all professions take time off for elective surgery. I don't know many people who would give up their two weeks summer holidays for surgery so it wouldn't inconvenience their employer. There are people in all sorts of professsions who work the system, teachers included, that doesn't mean all teachers should be tarred with the same brush. Most of my colleagues were working in some capacity this evening. However I also work with one of two who don't see anything wrong with sending in a sick cert in the middle of September for a week and coming back with a suntan. But they are in the minority and are present in every walk of life.

Well just like anyone else trying to pay for a wedding, it's cheaper to get married in the middle of November than in July so I can't blame some of them for doing it really.

And people in all professions take time off for elective surgery. I don't know many people who would give up their two weeks summer holidays for surgery so it wouldn't inconvenience their employer. There are people in all sorts of professsions who work the system, teachers included, that doesn't mean all teachers should be tarred with the same brush. Most of my colleagues were working in some capacity this evening. However I also work with one of two who don't see anything wrong with sending in a sick cert in the middle of September for a week and coming back with a suntan. But they are in the minority and are present in every walk of life.

Agreed, there are people everywhere who take the piss. That is a fact. Two/three weeks is a short time to fit an elective surgery and a holiday into, 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 months on the other hand......

Of course most of your colleagues were working this evening...it's the school show and none of them will want to be seen as the one who didn't contribute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Funnily enough, the teachers in the school I teach in were having a conversation about the holidays they get the other day. They said that they spend most of their time off either correcting exams (Christmas time), preparing lesson plans and schemes of work (it takes most of the summer to devise a plan for the whole year, and then on a day-to-day basis they have to correct homework and exams, prepare handouts, etc.

I'm in my Dip year and I'm busy all the time. I know it will get easier next year, but not by much. It's not an easy job. A lot of people, parents included, complain about teachers getting so much time off, but what do you want to happen? Do you want the teachers to go into school during the holidays and just sit there? Or do you want the students to get less holidays just so the teachers get less holidays?

As regards Parent/Teacher meetings, I think that a few years ago the DES decided that they could be held from 2 or 3 onwards, as opposed to the schools closing at 11 as they used to in some cases. Schools are just following guidelines, and the teachers certainly cannot be blamed for the timings of P/T meetings. They don't get a say in the matter. The school calendar is created by the board/principal.

One of my colleagues remarked that in her husband's job, if he's feeling a bit tired or just not motivated he can just switch off, take a break. Teachers cannot do this. As teacher you are responsible for the education of our young people, you can't just switch off. If you do, the first people to complain would be the parents. Fair enough, you're supposed to be teaching their kids. (Although in some cases it really is just that the child is lazy! But that's beside the point.)

I was under the impression that a lot of employers gave a good bit of time off to people for their wedding, and I'm not going to complain that teachers get a week. (Personally, I'd rather get married during the holidays anyway. Less stressful.)

However, I will agree that some teachers don't use their time off to prepare for classes, etc. There are some lazy teachers out there, some who are not motivated, or who are even in it for the holidays. These people give the dedicated teachers a bad name. Teaching is a cushy job if you make little effort. For those who are dedicated to it, it can be hell. (A rewarding hell!)

Some teachers probably are the laziest people in Ireland. Some plumbers are too. As are some doctors. Should I go on? Because I could name every job.

If anything you should complain about the lack of resources available to teachers and students in some schools. So many schools don't have basic computers or projectors, some schools are falling down. There are so fantastic many resources, especially technological resources, available nowadays that Irish teachers and students just don't have access to. I mean, some schools barely have labs for teaching science. If anything is 'taking the piss', it's this.

Focus on the important things in life, OP, not on the trivial.

Agreed, there are people everywhere who take the piss. That is a fact. Two/three weeks is a short time to fit an elective surgery and a holiday into, 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 months on the other hand......

We're obviously not going to agree on this, but it's not as clearcut as you make out, as I already said, not everyone is permanent, therefore not everyone gets paid for the summer, a number of my friends end up having to work the summer either supervising/correcting exams in June/July and job hunting in August or doing summer work in bars/restaurants/county council to make ends meet and hope a contract comes up in another school. granted, plenty are getting paid for the summer, but not everyone has that luxury and lots spend their summer working

Of course most of your colleagues were working this evening...it's the school show and none of them will want to be seen as the one who didn't contribute!

that's a very cynical attitude to take, people who don't want to help just don't help, but most will give some of their time.

Funnily enough, the teachers in the school I teach in were having a conversation about the holidays they get the other day. They said that they spend most of their time off either correcting exams (Christmas time), preparing lesson plans and schemes of work (it takes most of the summer to devise a plan for the whole year, and then on a day-to-day basis they have to correct homework and exams, prepare handouts, etc.

I'll bet that at least 95% of them were at least mildly, if not wildly, exaggerating. Was the principal or vice-principal present by any chance? Sounds like they were all jumping on the band-wagon and making sure everyone knew how dedicated they are.

I'll bet that at least 95% of them were at least mildly, if not wildly, exaggerating. Was the principal or vice-principal present by any chance? Sounds like they were all jumping on the band-wagon and making sure everyone knew how dedicated they are.

Nope, they were just warning us Dips that it's not as easy as people say it is. Neither the principal nor the vice-principal were present. (Now they're dedicated. The principal had health problems and stayed at work as long as possible before finally leaving the day before her surgery.)

You can say whatever you like about what you think it sounds like. This was not the first time I'd heard this.

By any chance did you have a bad experience in school? Or do you have anything positive to say about teachers? (A lot of whom, as mentioned above, are not permanent and have to work during the summer.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Arrogance....lovely. :rolleyes:
    Besides, as others have pointed out, why would you want to put up with teenagers every day? :D If you choose to though you shouldn't complain about it.
    Because there are some teachers who are idealistic (perhaps foolishly so considering the way the attitudes of most people in the western world are these days) and they want to help have a positive effect on the minds on this country's future.

As for your second 'point', I choose to work in IT. I have complained about aspects of my past jobs, tools I've worked with, etc. I choose that path and I damn well will complain about it if I find just cause to do so. Becoming a teacher does not mean that they lose their rights to complain about issues just because they choose that career path or because they're seen as having a cushy job.

I'd like to see how you would have turned out without teachers. Did you teach yourself to read or write? Didn't think so.

Not really, our exams run right up until the day we break up at Christmas otherwise our students would be off working in the local supermarket instead of in school, we could have them in early December and turn a blind eye to skiving but we don't. We have to have our results in when we go back in January so that does involve corrections during the holidays. Schools now get subject inspections in some area at least once a year which involves lots of paperwork - including lesson plans and schemes of work. my school had one last week.

And to add to what janeybabe26 said about facilities. The last school I taught in had a 'lab' with no gas, running water or electricity, the only electrical item that worked was the light in the ceiling... I used kitchen knives and sheets of cardboard for a dissecting kit and had students fill coke bottles with water from the sinks in the toilets to clean up afterwards...but you make do and get on with it.

It's really the lack of facilities for students (and teachers) that should be the bone of contention, not the holidays.

It's not the holidays that are the bone of contention folks, it's the teacher's sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ask any teacher (who has been qualified a few years) if you can see their lesson plans and they won't have many recent ones (or any at all) to show you.
    Many experienced teachers won't necessarily need formal written lesson plans ... they would prefer, quite rightly, to spend the time preparing teaching aids / handouts / posters (depending on age of students) or marking homework etc. than writing down lists of things which come as naturally to them as you drive a car.
    Primary teachers very very rarely spend time in the evenings marking work.
    Rubbish, tbh. My mother usually spent 2-3 hours an evening marking homework. She taught 4th, 5th and 6th, and usually had at least 30 pupils between the 3 classes ... one year she had 38.
    Terry wrote: »
    Teachers deserve the time off.

I was a complete prick in school. Looking back, I wouldn't inflict the 14 year old me on my worst enemy. There were quite a few like me too and that was in a small (at the time) school.

Picture having to put up with a bunch of obnoxious teenagers every day or think back to your own school days.
    Now imagine yourself on the other side of the desk having to put up with all those dicks in your class.
    Unfortunately, such self-awareness is scarce, Terry ... wp!
    If you are assuming that no-one with excellent LC results goes on to teach, again, you would be very very wrong. Your statement does say much about your sub-concious (or conscious) attitute and assumptions about teaching and teachers, however.
    If you choose to though you shouldn't complain about it.
    Firstly, you started this thread to complain about them, not the other way around. Apart from that, however, you are of course right ... teachers should be the only people in the world not allowed to complain about their job from time to time.

There are of course good and bad teachers, the dedicated and the lazy as hell. Many good teachers have left over the last couple of years. Why? Children who are impossible to deal with, unsocialised and undisciplined by their parents. Parents who are impossible to deal with!! Parents who are living nightmares, tbh!

And the more this becomes the reality, the more the standard of teachers WILL decline ... as the idealistic, dedicated ones give up, and the time servers who enjoy their long holidays and do as little as possible during the year stick in there!

It's not the holidays that are the bone of contention folks, it's the teacher's sense of entitlement.

Oh right, well I don't feel a sense of entitlement. Do any other teachers?

Oh right, well I don't feel a sense of entitlement. Do any other teachers?

You feel entitled to your holidays and feel sorry for teachers who aren't permanent and have to work in supermarkets or wherever during the summer.

• Advertisement

Rubbish, tbh. My mother usually spent 2-3 hours an evening marking homework. She taught 4th, 5th and 6th, and usually had at least 30 pupils between the 3 classes ... one year she had 38.

Your mother would be more of the exception rather than the rule. She had no time to correct during the day because when one class group was sitting occupied on a task, she needed to be active with one of the other two groups and vice versa.

I cannot remember ever not having a spelling test or other such work corrected by the end of the same day. Essays etc would be read by the teacher when we were busy working on another subject.

You feel entitled to your holidays and feel sorry for teachers who aren't permanent and have to work in supermarkets or wherever during the summer.

I didn't say I felt entitled to my holidays. Those are the holidays that are given to teachers. (Holidays that I have yet to have because as I said, this is my Dip year.) And of course I feel sorry for people who aren't made permanent. People have kids, mortgages, bills, etc. Having to worry about where you are going to be working come September is not fair.

Please try not to put words in my mouth.

No I don't feel a sense of entitlement to anything, I just get on with my job. But if the Dept of Ed are happy to provide certain working conditions - 3 months summer holidays, I'm not going to feel guilty about availing of them. Those are the terms of my job.

There are very few people who get into teaching just for the holidays, and there are plenty leaving for jobs with 'regular' holidays because they don't want to teach undisciplined, selfish, unruly students anymore and entitlements is the last thing on their mind when they are contemplating a career change.

Permanancy isn't really an issue there are so few permanent jobs available, most on temporary contracts are just hoping there will be a job available for them the following year and that they won't be left go and someone else hired due to a change in subject requirements or a drop in numbers etc

No I don't feel a sense of entitlement to anything, I just get on with my job. But if the Dept of Ed are happy to provide certain working conditions - 3 months summer holidays, I'm not going to feel guilty about availing of them. Those are the terms of my job.

There are very few people who get into teaching just for the holidays, and there are plenty leaving for jobs with 'regular' holidays because they don't want to teach undisciplined, selfish, unruly students anymore and entitlements is the last thing on their mind when they are contemplating a career change.

Permanancy isn't really an issue there are so few permanent jobs available, most on temporary contracts are just hoping there will be a job available for them the following year and that they won't be left go and someone else hired due to a change in subject requirements or a drop in numbers etc

Avail of the holidays you are given of course, but my point is that teachers should manage to fit a simple thing like an unnecessary elective surgery into those holidays rather than taking more time off during the school year.

There are more permanent jobs than temporary jobs in primary teaching. I suppose it's just lucky for them that they are all qualified to teach the full curriculum to all classes, rather than select subjects to particular levels.

Your mother would be more of the exception rather than the rule. She had no time to correct during the day because when one class group was sitting occupied on a task, she needed to be active with one of the other two groups and vice versa.

I cannot remember ever not having a spelling test or other such work corrected by the end of the same day. Essays etc would be read by the teacher when we were busy working on another subject.

You perhaps went to a relatively large primary school like i did where you were in a class which was just one class group. The majority of children are taught in small primary schools in this country, especially in rural areas where there are only two classes and 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th class students are all in together and all four classes have to be taught, assigned work and given individual time, to be honest, I don't think i'd be able for all that juggling, hats off to primary teachers, i couldn't teach 4 different year groups all at once... even if primary teachers aren't bringing home spelling tests to correct, i'm sure there are plenty of them spending evenings making posters and god knows what else out of crepe paper and toilet roll tubes!

• Advertisement

Your mother would be more of the exception rather than the rule.
    With respect, dame, no, she wouldn't. Her two sisters were teachers, many of my cousins are teachers, many of her friends were teachers ... I grew up among teachers, mostly primary, but at other levels as well (NOT always a good thing, believe me!). She was by no means the exception.
    She had no time to correct during the day because when one class group was sitting occupied on a task, she needed to be active with one of the other two groups and vice versa.
    Your logic is flawless ... it just doesn't lead you to the correct conclusion. She considered her time in school to be for teaching ... either with a full class, or (if she ever had the time) with individual pupils or small groups who were falling behind. Corrections and preparation were done out of school hours.
    You were either unlucky in your teachers, or very lucky, in that they were hyper-efficient. Admittedly, where a teacher only has one class, that is probably more viable ... it is seldom the case in rural schools, whatever about urban ones.

Avail of the holidays you are given of course, but my point is that teachers should manage to fit a simple thing like an unnecessary elective surgery into those holidays rather than taking more time off during the school year.

There are more permanent jobs than temporary jobs in primary teaching. I suppose it's just lucky for them that they are all qualified to teach the full curriculum to all classes, rather than select subjects to particular levels.

Fair enough, but again it's not just teachers that take time off to have elective surgery.

As for permanency, I'll be qualified to teach 2 core subjects (English and Irish) to Leaving Cert level and I wont be guaranteed a job. It's not 'lucky' for Primary School teachers that they can teach the full curriculum, it's just a fact of the job that they do, a job they chose. I chose to be a Post-Primary teacher, so maybe I shouldn't complain about the lack of jobs. (Or maybe I should complain that the DES are allowing people to train without the possibility of a permanent job.)

Either way, it's not fair to call teachers lazy because they decided to get some surgery. What about people who call in sick regularly? What about people who go to work and do a half-assed job because no one is watching. (Not the case in teaching. Teachers are on show all the time, and kids pick up on everything.)

What about people who go to work and do a half-assed job because no one is watching. (Not the case in teaching. Teachers are on show all the time, and kids pick up on everything.)
    I'll bet you very few teachers spend half their day on Boards! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 RadioActive

Anything run by the government is going to be inefficient. Teachers do work hard for not so much pay, so I guess if anyone deserves a break it'd be them.

I'll bet you very few teachers spend half their day on Boards! ;):D

Ha ha, if only I had the time!! If I so much as sit down at the computer in the staff room to find something for a class there is inevitably a knock on the door. ('Miss, is Miss. XXXX there?' 'No, she's in this magical thing called a class. You should try it sometime!') If you ask me, the students get too much time off!! :p If I left the class to go to the staff room I'd have the parents on the phone first thing the next day!

That was a joke by the way, just in case anyone decides to take me up on it!

Either way, it's not fair to call teachers lazy because they decided to get some surgery. What about people who call in sick regularly? What about people who go to work and do a half-assed job because no one is watching. (Not the case in teaching. Teachers are on show all the time, and kids pick up on everything.)

I agree. And it's one of the few jobs where everyone has been through the system and because they have been taught feels that they are an expert on teaching. I teach in a small town and the dogs on the street could tell you which teachers are hard working and which are just passing the time until retirement. There are very few jobs which come under such public scrutiny. Kids watch my (and all the other staff's) every move and their parents are able to tell me what i've had for breakfast, dinner and tea. Everything that happens in class is reported at home, no matter how trivial, so going in lazing about and taking time off for trivial things doesn't really happen all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Hi folks,
    I have absolutely no problem with it. There are two partners in a marriage. I'd imagine there are other factors in determining when two people decide to hold their wedding other than this alleged cushy perk you keep bleating about.

I always find it amusing that so many people that complain about entitlement waste their breath bitching about others. Get over it and get on with your life.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am not a teacher but if you get married in my company, you get an extra weeks holiday too.............you got to love the public sector

You know of one teacher in several thousand who had this done yet by suggestion tar them all with the same brush.
    What I vaguely remember from the strike a few years back was any extra parent or staff meetings had to be on school days and there were disputes about staying late to meet parents.
    I do remember my own parent teacher meetings were on school time and certainly didn't run past 5pm.
    Like the nurses dispute, initally they had sympathy and people quickly turned against them. Such as refusing to supervise the yards during breaks??

But as stated lots if not most teachers are excellent and and do help in GAA, quiz teams and school plays when they don't have to
    You vaguely remember?
    I can remember all of my and my siblings parent teacher meetings and they were all at night.
    As I already said, teachers have no say in the matter but even if they were held during the daytime, so what? Would your bank manager meet you at nighttime because it suits you better?
    Did they pick the date for the surgery? Are you sure it wasn't needed urgently?
    And you have a sense of entitlement to bitch about something you don't seem know a huge amount about!
    ...and what? Do you feel entitled to your holidays? Has there ever been anyone in your workplace who has had to do some extra work to make ends meet?
    and presumably you have the stats showing that the majority of teachers don't do this? What else do they say?
    I suppose it's just lucky for them that they are all qualified to teach the full curriculum to all classes, rather than select subjects to particular levels.
    I'm not an expert on this but I believe that part of the logic in ensuring teachers can teach the full curriculum is so that there is stability in the childrens education, rather than having 5 to 10 differerent teachers seeing them every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

dame what do you do for a living?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement