Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free java compilers

Options
  • 15-11-2007 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I am learning java version 1.4
    At the moment i am compiling my programs from the DOS command line.
    Can anyone recommend a free compiler that i can download from the internet?
    Is textpad any good?
    What other compilers are there?
    I would like a compiler that allows me to step through the program and to see what value is in each variable as the program is executing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sharpeire

I am new enough to Java and find Textpad very friendly to use, however it doesnt include the ability to step through, which is disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

textpad isn't a compiler, it's just a text editor.

you need the java run-time environment installed on your client machine to compile java files. you can download it at www.sun.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Install the latest JDK. Then install an IDE. Eclipse is by far the best in the universe. The debugger is good (which is what you are looking for), but jesus, it basically writes it all for you!As cremo said, the editors aren't compilers, they just do the command line work for you. Seriously, though, Eclipse. It does code completion for you, compiles as you type (so you know if you've made syntax errors or tried accessed variables or objects that haven't been initialised)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Cremo wrote: »
    textpad isn't a compiler, it's just a text editor.

you need the java run-time environment installed on your client machine to compile java files. you can download it at www.sun.com

I'm pretty sure you need the JDK rather than the JRE to compile Java programs....just after looking throught the JRE folder on my machine here and the javac.exe file doesn't appear to be there whereas it does come with the JDK.

Cheers
    Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Compiler:
    javac (From the java.sun.com JDK)
    http://jikes.sourceforge.net/

Although, I believe you mean a development environment.
    TextPad is great (Lightweight and versatile) and has a trial version available.
    Otherwise, great for larger projects and free: eclipse or Turbo JBuilder 2007 (Based on Eclipse) [ http://cc.codegear.com/Free.aspx?id=24728 ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I like Netbeans as an IDE, seemed to run in a lot more stable fashion than Eclipse for me but I don't do much Java programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

I think you should just start with notepad/cmd line just to get the basics right.

Then you should move onto using some basic IDEs/tools such as JBuilder/JCreator which will ease you into the whole IDE environment thingy.

Eclipse\Netbeans are great etc.. I toyed with them initially, but found they took the actual learning out of the equation & I felt completely overwhelmed by their features.

I only stared using Eclipse properly once i knew i could really program in Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

funktastic wrote: »
    Install the latest JDK. Then install an IDE. Eclipse is by far the best in the universe. The debugger is good (which is what you are looking for), but jesus, it basically writes it all for you!As cremo said, the editors aren't compilers, they just do the command line work for you. Seriously, though, Eclipse. It does code completion for you, compiles as you type (so you know if you've made syntax errors or tried accessed variables or objects that haven't been initialised)

I'll second that, Eclipse is by far the best at the moment. A lot of companies are also begining to use it.
    You can download it here Eclipse
    I'm fairly sure the latest SDK comes with it too so it doesn't have to be installed seperately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I find Eclipse atrocious, I much prefer Netbeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I strongly recommend that if you're learning java, that you don't use something like eclipse. Having the IDE basically write the code for you is a terrible way to learn how to code. Also it's incredibly complex for anything less then a large programming project. Maybe when you're comfortable with the language then give it a try.

For starting off, I'd recommend Notepad++.. very clean interface, syntax highlighting (colour code), very small and fast, generally nice to use.

And then the JDK from http://java.sun.com to compile stuff with.

Good luck learning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I find Eclipse atrocious, I much prefer Netbeans.

I find netbeans is full of bugs (unless you pay for the full one).

As people have said, stick with a text editor at least until you understand the basics. The likes of Eclipse will point out where you are going wrong in your code and even try to fix it, as well as drop down help.

Compiling on the command line is for dinosaurs like myself. :) Personally I'd go with Eclipse but open the file as a text file in one window and then in Java when nothing is working.

UltraEdit also supports Java syntax and will color the text for you (and allow to collapse sections).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

For a simply open source editor aimed at programmers, I like jEdit myself (http://www.jedit.org/). Being java based it will run on linux, windows or mac which I find very useful. There are many plugins to add additional functionality but for complex projects I tend to use eclipse... but I would agree with others' recommendations to start with a simple editor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

JCreator all the way!

It's like notepad, except you can compile as well. Very handy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

jedit very good as a basic editor for practically everything, not just java but xml, php, C++ and too many other to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Am Using Textpad but the syntax colours are not working (all text is black) ive tried to sort this in the configure drop down but it shows that all the colours are set for Java. any one any Ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I've been using Jedit as the editor, but to answer your question as previously mentioned install JDK, you might need to add java to your PATH variables.

Advertisement