Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women DJs

• 15-11-2007 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I hate hearing women on the radio. Most of them just natter on about riiiidiculous things ugh they embarass me. Especially can't stand Ruth Scott..that voice urgh...and all the female presenters on Spin are godawful.

The only woman I'll listen to is Jenny Houston on 2fm. Mabe it's because she's not Irish ... ah I'm a female sexist I know.

Anyone agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Totally agree but there have been a number of studies done which show that most people prefer the male voice on radio. The brain reacts differently (and more positively) to the male voice.

Unrelated to radio is the fact that males with deeper voices command more authority and respect than those males with higher pitched voices.

Also, taller men rise higher in companies than small men.

So, maybe size does matter after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well I'm female and want to become a radio presenter. Right now I present community radio and I can assure you I don't go on with any girlie, ditzy sh*te. I just concentrate on playing damn good music and giving interesting bits of info about the bands in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Dudess wrote: »
    Well I'm female and want to become a radio presenter. Right now I present community radio and I can assure you I don't go on with any girlie, ditzy sh*te. I just concentrate on playing damn good music and giving interesting bits of info about the bands in question.

You tell 'em Dudess! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ashyle wrote: »
    Anyone agree?

No! While I'm with you on not being able to stand "nattering" types on the radio, there are some fine women DJs out there. Best of the bunch is Anne Marie Kelly on Today FM before 7. Great music, great intelligent sense of humour (hilarious at times) and a really nice voice to go with it.

The only thing that annoys me is that she reads out news and sport items like she doesn't really understand them. Pity, since when she's talking about those items instead of reading them out, she clearly shows both understanding and the presence of an opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

totally agree with original OP.
    Thats not to say they are all bad. I like the morning presenter on Newstalk 103, not sure of her name. But I think she's good.

The likes of Jenny Kellys of this world annoy me so much . Its like they play up the 'dumb pretty woman' image....laugh at stupid things and basically give zero serious input to the program.

I'm not sexist, by any means. I can name you equally bad male presenters. But it definitely seems to me the poor female DJ's outweight the male ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Ok em..
    Here's a series of true statements...

There are bad female presenters. There are bad male presenters.

There are good female presenters. There are good male presenters.

There are far more men on air than women. For arguments sake, lets say it was a 50/50 divide between the good and the bad - the far fewer number of female presenters on any given station means that there are fewer good to compensate for the bad. See? Just my 2cents.

I could name you lots of great female DJs though. They're mostly on one Dublin station. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

fricatus wrote: »
    Best of the bunch is Anne Marie Kelly on Today FM before 7. Great music, great intelligent sense of humour (hilarious at times) and a really nice voice to go with it.

The only thing that annoys me is that she reads out news and sport items like she doesn't really understand them

;)

Dudess, are you on-line when you broadcast?

Mike.

roxy wrote: »
    Ok em..
    Here's a series of true statements...

There are bad female presenters. There are bad male presenters.

There are good female presenters. There are good male presenters.

There are far more men on air than women. For arguments sake, lets say it was a 50/50 divide between the good and the bad - the far fewer number of female presenters on any given station means that there are fewer good to compensate for the bad. See? Just my 2cents.
    Well said roxy!
    I could name you lots of great female DJs though. They're mostly on one Dublin station. :)
    Yep, and phantastic they are too! ;)
    mike65 wrote: »
    ;)

Dudess, are you on-line when you broadcast?

Mike.
    Yep. But I don't have a set show at the moment as I'm filling in gaps for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

From what I've heard, the good female deejays (on legal radio anyway) far outweigh the bad female jocks. The ones who do my head in tend to be on FM104 and Spin 103, and, maybe, 98FM. I wouldn't be able to name most of them, and I wouldn't anyway. It's just those plasticy, false accents and the vacuous nature of their chat - celebrity gossip, etc. And yes, there are numerous male equivalents.

I think the following are great to listen to:
    Nikki Hayes - 2FM - bright and enthusiastic, although I never get to hear her because I'm not into the ordinary playlist chart stuff.

Jenny Houston - 2FM - you just can't beat that Canadian accent, plus she is into the music she plays.

Alison Curtis, presenter of "The Last Splash" - Today FM - see Jenny Houston!

Anne-Marie Kelly- Today FM - interesting chatterbox with an interesting taste in music!

Sarah Frances, presenter of Livedrive. - Dublin City FM (formerly Anna Livia). She's just very natural - nothing arrogant or false about her delivery and she comes across as a nice person.

The following from Phantom for their enthusiasm in what they do, their good broadcasting voices and their intelligient chat.. and they don't talk endlessly either- they let the music do most of the talking!: Sinead Ni Mhordha, Laura Lee-Conboy and Edel Coffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

The following from Phantom for their enthusiasm in what they do, their good broadcasting voices and their intelligient chat.. and they don't talk endlessly either- they let the music do most of the talking!: Sinead Ni Mhordha, Laura Lee-Conboy and Edel Coffey.

100pc agreed, Mr Walsh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I personally think Tracey Lee on nothing but 90s is great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

I tend to agree with the original post and want to add my 2 cents worth .... although you're all gonna kill me cos I'm gonna change it slightly . . . for those of us numbskulls who follow football, there are now female commentators on BBC R5 Live and that, to me, is the worst EVER - sorry girls, I know this sounds awful, but football and ladies commentary just does NOT work - EVER ! (and it's nothing to do with the offside rule !!!!) - there ! I've said it now.

..... just checking my back for daggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

Jenny Greene, Nikki Hayes, Claire B and Louise Jordan are all fantastic female presenters. Claire and Jenny in particular stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ruth Scott (2fm) & Louise Heraghty (98fm) should set up their own station...Bogger FM would be apt ;)

DREADFUL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

LOL.

Someone needs to tell Louise H that she is broadcasting to Dublin alright.

She mentions Sligo FAR too much in her links. (I'm not even a big 98 listener but I know she's from there).

Female and a country accent - just not sure how well a Dublin daytime audience will take to that. If women did the job so well, take my word for it, every PD in the country would have a woman on afternoons (and I'm just talking using my radio head, I'm not trying to be in any way discriminating towards people from outside Dublin or women before someone starts to have a go!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Dudess wrote: »

good for ya, thats why I like Jenny Houston, she seems to actually know what she's on about.. Edel Coffey on Phantom seems to have her head screwed on proper too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Jenny Greene, Nikki Hayes, Claire B and Louise Jordan are all fantastic female presenters. Claire and Jenny in particular stand out.

Claire B, are you serious? Claire B's Big Handbag? Woeful ott girlieness! Look at the name of her show for jaysus sake. And Nikki Hayes talks and talks and TALKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I listen to Anne-Marie Kelly in the mornin. I cant stand the rest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

i like nikki hayes and shes also a hottie , ruth scott is particulary annoying with her constant attempts at cheesy humour and week old daily gossips reports , garerth o callaghan used to do that , hed mention a song he thought was destined for the top even though it had been number 1 three mths previous

while she has great taste in music , i cannot stand jenny houston , what with her extremley pronounced accent and the fact that she seems to moonlight occasionally on gerry ryan now as some sort of psychologist , what with her segments on how we should be more comfortable at complaining in restaraunts or looking at ourselves naked in the mirror
    shes the biggest headwrecker on the radio this side of rick o shea

Big Balls wrote: »
    LOL.

Someone needs to tell Louise H that she is broadcasting to Dublin alright.

She mentions Sligo FAR too much in her links. (I'm not even a big 98 listener but I know she's from there).

Lets do a fundraiser and get her a 1 way ticket back to Sligo, Im sure she'd almost be some sort of Z List celeb in those parts :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

alleepally wrote: »
    Totally agree but there have been a number of studies done which show that most people prefer the male voice on radio. The brain reacts differently (and more positively) to the male voice.

I dunno, have you ever heard Victoria Derbyshire on R5L? mmmmmmmmm.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Sizzler wrote:
    Lets do a fundraiser and get her a 1 way ticket back to Sligo, Im sure she'd almost be some sort of Z List celeb in those parts :o
    Sizzler wrote:
    Ruth Scott (2fm) & Louise Heraghty (98fm) should set up their own station...Bogger FM would be apt

DREADFUL

On one of your bogger rants again ... I'd love to be like you

^^ :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GemmaDoyle

Zoe Ball was great but haven't listened to her in a while. Anyone know where she is now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Popping sprogs for fatboy slim I'd imagine. She was okay, better than her successor TBH (Sara Cox).
    On the subject of R1 jocks, our very own Annie Mac makes an excellent DJ/presenter...she seems to get the balance between girlie bullsh*t and more mundane radio stuff or talking about music just right....but that could be down to her producer as much as it is her.
    Jo Whiley is okay, but too far up her own arse really....always good music and links but she concentrates far too much on facebook crap and celeb stuff of late.
    Someone mentioned AMK; the only decent mainstream female Irish radio jock that I can think of....the rest do absolutely nothing for me.

In real terms there are loads of great female DJs....of course I mean DJs in the club sense. A lot of them wipe the floor with their male counterparts in terms of mixing and song selection. But we're talking about radio jocks here....no room for silly stuff like mixing or tune selection on the airwaves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RobertaHQ

I really like listening to girls on the radio but sometimes I think girls are more likely to be irritating and annoying than a male presenter.

I live in Dublin so can only comment on radio I hear but I know that I just don't listen to Spin at all because of that D4 pretentious thing all the girls have, then when you listen in the morning it's like you've been transported overnight to the middle of a bog in Mayo with the 2 lads. That radio station in general has Skitzophrenia with it's presenters I think

And Louise Hegarty on 98fm along with Ruth from 2fm should be on Farmers FM somewhere too.

FM104 DJ's seem to be mostly male but of what girl voices Ive heard they are pretty clever and non-offensive with regard to accents BUT!!!!! That Niamh bird that's on The Strawberry Alarm Clock sends shivers down my spine - if she was attractive i would let her away with it, but ive seen her and dumb ugly people just aren't appealling. Still FM104 is my first choice, after breakfast anyway

Pretty weird attitude to have.. A persons looks don't really determine what they are like. Chris Moyles ain't much of a looker but he's a damn fine broadcaster!

RobertaHQ wrote: »
    if she was attractive i would let her away with it, but ive seen her and dumb ugly people just aren't appealling.
    What an utter joke of a thing to say... Sounds pretty "dumb" and "ugly" to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dame Edna

I have been watching this thread over the last few weeks and Robertahq really has problems with regards female presenters obviously a wannabe presenter by the sounds of it and a grudge against culchies. Everybody has different tastes when it some to presenters and if you dont like a presenter then simply switch off the show! you are not being forced to listen to any of these female presenters who you think should be on farmers fm and going on to slag off a presenter because of their looks is not only immature but also shows your total lack of intelliegence. I happen to think all of those female presenters that you have slagged off are excellent and I enjoy listening to them.

• Advertisement

Dame Edna wrote: »
    I have been watching this thread over the last few weeks and Robertahq really has problems with regards female presenters obviously a wannabe presenter by the sounds of it and a grudge against culchies. Everybody has different tastes when it some to presenters and if you dont like a presenter then simply switch off the show! you are not being forced to listen to any of these female presenters who you think should be on farmers fm and going on to slag off a presenter because of their looks is not only immature but also shows your total lack of intelliegence. I happen to think all of those female presenters that you have slagged off are excellent and I enjoy listening to them.

Are you from the country per chance ;)

The previous poster was entitled to their opinion, just like you.

Acually I am a Dub and I am aware that people are entitled but mature comments I would expect??Slagging off presenters for the sake of it? Point being

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I just don't listen to Spin at all because of that D4 pretentious thing

I actually think its an American thing going on, i.e. they sound American.

Sizzler wrote: »
    The previous poster was entitled to their opinion, just like you.
    Yeah, but it was a pretty dumb opinion.

True, it was a dumb opinion, but it was more of a throw away comment, an additional extra and nothing at all to do with the point of my arguement.

I thought that was clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maxwell jump

True, it was a dumb opinion, but it was more of a throw away comment, an additional extra and nothing at all to do with the point of my arguement.

I thought that was clear

It wasn't clear - you sounded like a bitter person who regularly puts down other women to make themselves feel better. why criticise anyone based on their looks?

• Advertisement

All I said was she'd get away with playing dumb (which I've been forced to listen to for the last hour, and she does "play dumb" quite intentionally I believe) if she were attractive, not just in terms of her physical appearance, but if she didn't sound like someone who herds cattle in her spare time - then the playing dumb would be easier to take, however; her voice is aggressive, obnoxious, irritating and in my opinion not suitable for morning radio.

Now, I've removed the emphasis from her physical appearance and my point remains

Gosh RobertaHQ I have never read so much Bull in my life - do you actually work in the radio sector or are you just a wannabe??

You humour me. I worked in radio but in keeping with my career plan progressed to print media after a duration. Having worked in the radio industry though, I can hand on heart say that anyone who "aspires" to be a radio presenter and cannot make it must be really bad because listening to what's on these days the standard is way below par in comparison to what it used to be.

Roberta you sound pretty bitter to me!

Radio and actual on air presenting is not the type of industry you can get into to 'tie you over' waiting for your print job. There are people banging down PD's door to get on air.

You're talking bollocks if I may be so crude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

Back to Topic:

Ann Marie Kelly is a top notch mainstream DJ.
    Alison Curtis and Jenny Heuston know their stuff and a Canadian accent is a plus.
    Rachel English was a credit to Radio One. (not a dj, I know)

Debbie Allen, Ruth Scott, Louise Hegarty and Siobhian from 98fm should be burned at the stake for giving women a bad name in broadcasting with their blond bimbo broadcasting crap or BBBC:rolleyes:!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    while she has great taste in music , i cannot stand jenny houston , what with her extremley pronounced accent and the fact that she seems to moonlight occasionally on gerry ryan now as some sort of psychologist , what with her segments on how we should be more comfortable at complaining in restaraunts or looking at ourselves naked in the mirror
    shes the biggest headwrecker on the radio this side of rick o shea

I don't listen to Jenny Houston's programme, and her stint on Gerry Ryan puts me right off her. I don't want her advice, she's probably a few years younger than me, no thanks! In fact I listen in to his show nearly every day, but when she comes on, or Evelyn O'Rourke, I switch over to another station.

Big Balls wrote: »
    Roberta you sound pretty bitter to me!

Radio and actual on air presenting is not the type of industry you can get into to 'tie you over' waiting for your print job. There are people banging down PD's door to get on air.

You're talking bollocks if I may be so crude.

I never was, nor ever had any intentions of becoming a radio presenter. I apologise if that was not clear.

I am not bitter, there are some women I think are great on the radio and some men too.

I was simply airing a grievance or two. It's so very immature to identify an opinion as negative therefore write it off as bitter.

If you re read all my posts there is not one single statement that could be construed that way.

My opinion is my entitlement, I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. Your entitled to your opinion too but do be clever enough to base it on more than speculation. You are diluting the credibility of all your other posts with such remarks.

Your entitled to your opinion too but do be clever enough to base it on more than speculation. You are diluting the credibility of all your other posts with such remarks.

Eh, don't think so love. :rolleyes:

I have my career in radio, I don't have to prove myself or make myself "credible" to anyone.

Your last post shows what a hypocrite you are when your first post was a blatant personal attack on someone.

I think you should stop digging now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think you should all get back on topic and stop sniping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

ashyle wrote: »
    I hate hearing women on the radio. Most of them just natter on about riiiidiculous things ugh they embarass me. Especially can't stand Ruth Scott..that voice urgh...and all the female presenters on Spin are godawful.

The only woman I'll listen to is Jenny Houston on 2fm. Mabe it's because she's not Irish ... ah I'm a female sexist I know.

Anyone agree?

No. I don't agree

I think radio needs more women on it. It's to male dominated.
    I think that any female presenters I've heard are good.
    I luv the mix in Spin with the zoo crew and in 98fm with the morning crew bringing the male and females together to present the shows means wider opinion.
    Fave female presenter would be Nikki Hayes though.

Petals no offence but all you ever do is backslap the lads in 2FM and 98 - surprise us with a post one day will ya ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I don't spend enough time on here for that statement to be justified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    i like nikki hayes and shes also a hottie

No. No, she isn't.

C'mon - radio has always been mostly a man's world, and that's the way it's going to stay. Sorry, but the only time I've heard a good womans voice on the radio was when she played second fiddle to a good man (e.g. Joan Lea on FM104's Strawberry Alarm Clock with Colm Hayes and Jim Nugent).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Personally, I'd prefer if male or female they kept the chat to a minimum and just played the music, but of those I listen to, I like AM Kelly.

Bard wrote: »
    No. No, she isn't.

C'mon - radio has always been mostly a man's world, and that's the way it's going to stay. Sorry, but the only time I've heard a good womans voice on the radio was when she played second fiddle to a good man (e.g. Joan Lea on FM104's Strawberry Alarm Clock with Colm Hayes and Jim Nugent).
    No accounting for taste I suppose. I think Nikki looks fab in those pics.

Anyway, I'm an aspiring female DJ and maybe you'd like me! I play only great music and there's no inane chatter from me - no way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement