Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women DJs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't listen to a huge amount of radio, so there's only two female DJs I hear regularly enough to have an opinion on. It seems that I'll be going against the majority with this opinion, but Anne-Marie Kelly does my feckin' head in. It's a combination of her voice and her inane chatter that really bugs me. Her only redeeming feature is that occasionally she'll play some decent music, but she plays a fair bit of crap too. The other is Alison Curtis, who should be given loads more shows IMO. She plays great music, knows what she's talking about and sounds great on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Bard wrote: »
    No. No, she isn't.

C'mon - radio has always been mostly a man's world, and that's the way it's going to stay. Sorry, but the only time I've heard a good womans voice on the radio was when she played second fiddle to a good man (e.g. Joan Lea on FM104's Strawberry Alarm Clock with Colm Hayes and Jim Nugent).

Women soooooooo do not play second best to men. I've heard some female dj's far better than some of the males around. Having said that for the last 4 months we've been told that Male voices sound better on radio cos female voices sound high pitched... I'm not convinced with that argument though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Dudess wrote: »
    No accounting for taste I suppose. I think Nikki looks fab in those pics.

Oh don't get me wrong, I like Nikki Hayes and think she's one of the better ladies on the radio. I just wouldn't find her all that attractive - but that's irrelevant to her talent as a DJ.
    Anyway, I'm an aspiring female DJ and maybe you'd like me! I play only great music and there's no inane chatter from me - no way!

Sure! Maybe I would like you you! Where and when can we hear you?

Radio definitely NEEDS more good female DJ's - I just can't see the balance being tipped any time soon. I reckon it's always going to be a male dominated industry ... that's not such a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Evelyn O'Rourke.

There's another voice radio can do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bard wrote: »
    Sure! Maybe I would like you you! Where and when can we hear you?
    Just community radio. I'm an alternative music head (especially retro stuff - 80s/early 90s is my thing, "shoegazing" and the like) so there aren't many job openings! I wouldn't be interested in going for a position with Spin etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Don't knock community radio ... I'm on it myself (My show is on [url="http://www.dundalkfm.com/]Dundalk FM 100[/url] - which streaming on the web).

What station are you on, and is it online?

CCR in Cork but not doing anything there at the mo as I'm working 9 to 5 and it's only on air til 5.30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Excuse me - can I butt into this mutual admiration society of radio "stars".

Women DJ'S get my goat - why do they have tobe so relentlessy cheerful - HOW ARE YAH !!! and so frakin patronising - especially Ruth Scoh and that bimbo Nikki Hayes - I won't even mention those desparate wannabees on Spin and the FM'S.

Only one with a nice understated style is MAXI on RTE 1 in the mornings.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

petals wrote: »
    Women soooooooo do not play second best to men.

What Bard said was there are far more men in radio then women.

And that is true, from presenters up to Programme Directors, radio is a man's world by and large.

Research has shown that the majority of women don't like listening to a woman on their radio. If it were not the case, the knee jerk world of commerical radio would be swamped with female voices. Fact is, it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

for the most part i don't enjoy listening to women dj's. the reason for this is simply that women dj's define themselves as women dj's, rather then just radio dj's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Harry Bo

I've been listening to Phantom a bit in the mornings and I think Edel Coffey is a good DJ. She's pretty relaxed and easygoing and isn't too caught up blathering on all day.

A lot of the other ones that come to mind do nothing for me or just annoy me but then again plenty of male DJ's do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Big Balls wrote: »
    What Bard said was there are far more men in radio then women.

And that is true, from presenters up to Programme Directors, radio is a man's world by and large.

Research has shown that the majority of women don't like listening to a woman on their radio. If it were not the case, the knee jerk world of commerical radio would be swamped with female voices. Fact is, it isn't.

you are perfectly entitled to your opinion but it doesn't change mine.

I don't think women play second best to men. I do see the radio industry getting more and more females on air each year as well. So the argument there's more men blah blah isn't going to hold out for much longer!

If i had to pick one sex to listen to on the radio it'd be women! They're less cocky!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

my oh my, what an interesting thread. Have any of you thought of the fact that radio presenters (be they male or female) may actually be encouraged to be a certain way on the radio, they are like puppets on strings in some stations?? One guy there posting is just sexist. Another bunch of you don't see beyond the Dublin accent, in fact probably don't see beyond Dublin at all. The "Dublin bubble" as its known in some parts of the "COUNTRY". And the guy in radio who left, well maybe he's bitter, but alot of ex radio people are bitter because they were paid **** money. Talk to them, and ask they'll admit it. Radio people love radio and don't like leaving it. In fact radio people are in a bubble of their own most of the time!!

Just my opinion now....don't start killing me!

petals wrote: »
    I do see the radio industry getting more and more females on air each year as well. So the argument there's more men blah blah isn't going to hold out for much longer!

I'm aware of ONE woman in the whole country who programmes the music on a radio station. How are ya Shona ;)

I'm aware of maybe 3 or 4 PDs.

I'm not aware of ANY woman DJ who has a male sidekick on breakfast.

Out of everyone in this thread I am one of the most pro women on air, but the facts are the facts Petals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

Out of everyone in this thread I am one of the most pro women on air, but the facts are the facts Petals.

glad to hear it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Glad you are glad to hear it.

Maybe I will hire you if your demo ever comes into me - just put Saskia on it, I will remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aac.conroy

ashyle wrote: »
    I hate hearing women on the radio. Most of them just natter on about riiiidiculous things ugh they embarass me. Especially can't stand Ruth Scott..that voice urgh...and all the female presenters on Spin are godawful.

The only woman I'll listen to is Jenny Houston on 2fm. Mabe it's because she's not Irish ... ah I'm a female sexist I know.

Anyone agree?

GOD YEAH! Get rid of them, they're all nervous little voices attempting to be heard / i hate when they try be funny.

"All"? Hardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

LOL.

Someone needs to tell Louise H that she is broadcasting to Dublin alright.

She mentions Sligo FAR too much in her links. (I'm not even a big 98 listener but I know she's from there).

Female and a country accent - just not sure how well a Dublin daytime audience will take to that. If women did the job so well, take my word for it, every PD in the country would have a woman on afternoons (and I'm just talking using my radio head, I'm not trying to be in any way discriminating towards people from outside Dublin or women before someone starts to have a go!!).

You'll be able to tell her yourself now;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Glad you are glad to hear it.

Maybe I will hire you if your demo ever comes into me.

Will i send that demo to the old job or the new place???:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

ashyle wrote: »
    I hate hearing women on the radio. Most of them just natter on about riiiidiculous things ugh they embarass me. Especially can't stand Ruth Scott..that voice urgh...and all the female presenters on Spin are godawful.

The only woman I'll listen to is Jenny Houston on 2fm. Mabe it's because she's not Irish ... ah I'm a female sexist I know.

Anyone agree?

I couldnt agree with you more, the radio has come close to going out the window before with that ditzy bullcrap talkin nonsenceical feckin eejit Ruth Scott.

"Oim a boggerr, oi am such a silly billy, youll neverr guesh what oi did the otherr day..." SHUT UP!!!!:mad:

Advertisement