Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Giles on Newstalk's Off the Ball

• 16-11-2007 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Newstalk's Soccer Pundit, John Giles has refused to confirm rumours coming from Cardiff - that he's acting as a mediator for the FAI - in talks with former Wigan Manager, Paul Jewell - about the vacant Rep. of Ireland Manager's job. Speaking on OTB this evening, Giles said that it's not something he can discuss at the moment - but will talk about at length tomorrow on the station.

Linkeh

Betfair have Jewell at 8/7 since the news broke.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jewell would be great, I'd be amazed if we got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Didn't Jewell quit Wigan cos he felt he was under too much pressure/stress? Suppose an international job would be good for him then seeing as there's only about 10 games a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

After so many years in high pressure management, a international job might be just what Jewell is after.
    I'm not saying the Ireland job is a retirement home but it should be less stressful for the manager.

Plus it'll be good for his CV. He is an ambitious guy and probably hopes to manage England or Liverpool in the future.

So I'd be confident we could get Jewell and he can do great things for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

You persue failure, you will achieve failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Oh please no, I thought we were getting a world class manager here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Release Maxi and arm him heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I agree with ShaneU.

Can't see what all the fuss over Jewell is about.

A decent record? yes.

World Class? no.

I like the guy he has a good attitude & charachter & dosent fill you with bulls!t excuses.

I'd be confident about us getting him but doing great things for us I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

tdv wrote: »
    I agree with ShaneU.

Can't see what all the fuss over Jewell is about.

A decent record? yes.

World Class? no.

I like the guy he has a good attitude & charachter & dosent fill you with bulls!t excuses.

I'd be confident about us getting him but doing great things for us I can't see that happening.

In fairness, what self respecting world class manager would manage Ireland, I ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

What has Paul Jewell done thats amazing? he had one good season in the premiership and now he's a great manager?

George Burely performed more wonders with Ipswich that Jewell had done with Wigan even if he got relegated in his second season. But yet he is not being mentioned.

"He is an ambitious guy and probably hopes to manage England or Liverpool in the future."

He hopes, but theres more change of Steve Staunton getting the Irish job again than Paul Jewell getting a big job.

We can forget about any euro/world cup with the likes of him as manager.

Sad state of affairs that ppl are hoping he gets the job. May aswell start interviewing other amazing managers like Joe Royle, Peter Reid, Dave Basset!

I'd take any foreign coach before the likes of Jewell and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

micmclo wrote: »
    the Ireland job is a retirement home but it should be less stressful for the manager.
    Want to see if Steve Staunton agrees with that?

His treatment by the press was horrible, and got way too personal at times.
    Release Maxi and arm him heavily.
    I'd do that anyway, just to get rid of some of the circus clowns who run football in this country.
    In fairness, what self respecting world class manager would manage Ireland, I ask?
    QFT
    Jewell IS a foreign coach. Ireland is not England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think Jewell would be great. He'd get us organised and playing as a team, which at the end of the day is all we really need or can ask of him. He won't perform miracles, but we don't need him to.

What has Paul Jewell done thats amazing? he had one good season in the premiership and now he's a great manager?

George Burely performed more wonders with Ipswich that Jewell had done with Wigan even if he got relegated in his second season. But yet he is not being mentioned.

Eh, that's the point. Jewell managed to not only keep them up, but to play good football in the process. That's a huge difference. It's the difference between say Jewell or Copell and Burely or Warnock. There's a huge difference there. Jewell has gotten a decent set of players playing nice good effective football. If he joins I'll be over the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

he was also successfull without spending lots of money.he's a good motivator and gets on well with players.
    anyone thinking were gonna get a cappello morinho type manager is not livin in this world.
    the irish job isnt the best and i think jewell wud be a good candidate.
    I also think whoever gets the job SHOULD be given 2 FULL qualification campaigns to turn the team around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Hope this is true, Jewell was always my no.1 choice.

As has been mentioned we are not going to get a world class manager and if we did the only way we would get him would be to pay him an extortionate amount of money, which is never a good place to start from. You tend to get someone in it for the paycheck as opposed to really trying to do something with the team.

Jewell is a young guy and pretty ambitious, he would be determined to do really well with Ireland if he got the chance as he has a long career ahead of him as a manager, not like an older manager looking for a retirement package....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's obvious we're getting mediocrity with Jewell but we don't really deserve much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

don't jump the gun lads...

Jewell admits he talked with Giles, but it wasn't an interview.

i'd be relatively happy with Jewell, i said from the beginning he's probably the best we could get. all this talk of him not being world class is nonsense... why would a world class manager want to manage a blew average team? what's more important in the Jewell scenario is that he's still relatively young for a manager, and so should still have lots of ambition and motivation. let's hope this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We're moving up in the world, would i be right in saying this is our most experienced manager since Big Jack, someone who has managed at the top level at a top league

Stan - water boy for some random lower league team
    Brian Kerr - national youth teams
    Mick McCarthy - Millwall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lippi will not be taking over nor Jose nor Beckenbauer not even Beenhakker.

A bit of realism would'nt go amiss. What the ROI need is someone to manage a bunch of largely mid level players who, well motivated with some decent tactics, can punch above thier weight.

If that makes Paul Jewell a slightly more cultered Jack Charlton so be it, but its proberly whats required.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

zabbo wrote: »
    We're moving up in the world, would i be right in saying this is our most experienced manager since Big Jack, someone who has managed at the top level at a top league

Mick McCarthy - Millwall

Agreed. Wigan are no world beaters, but Jewell did very well with them. To get them into the Premiership AND keep them up there is no mean achievement. And with a very, very average bunch of players. There were much better teams (on paper) relegated in the mean time (Charlton had the likes of Bent and other top players). I think Jewell would be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

prendy wrote: »
    he was also successfull without spending lots of money.he's a good motivator and gets on well with players.
    anyone thinking were gonna get a cappello morinho type manager is not livin in this world.
    the irish job isnt the best and i think jewell wud be a good candidate.
    I also think whoever gets the job SHOULD be given 2 FULL qualification campaigns to turn the team around.

NO, NO, NO! This is not how it's done at international level. Have you forgotten already what happened with Staunton who was inexplicably given a 4 year deal. Virtually every country on the planet give managers contracts by campaign - if you're happy and they're happy then you renew. the last thing we need is to have another disastrous campaign and have to pay up the remaining 2 years of someones contract.

The general vibe going round is no self respecting top manager would consider the Ireland job so let's settle on a 'Paul Jewell'. What is it with this self condescending crap? And don't tell me that it just being realistic because if Russia can get Hiddink, Poland - Beenhakker, Georgia - Topmoeller, Finland - Roy Hodgson and so on, then so can we.
    There are plenty of world class mangers out there who would relish the chance to try and bring Ireland to a World Cup finals because they know were not just also rans with no hope at all and qualification would bring them hero status and look great on their CV.

Personally, I think that if the FAI don't contact Hodgson late next week(when his Finnish contract runs - unless they qualify!), then they should all be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

We go from Houllier to Jewell.
    A man that won the Uefa cup, every domestic honor in England and France except the
    premership, the super cup etc to a man who managed a crap wigan team for one season
    in the premiership.
    Shocking turn of events.
    Will have to this all again in 3-4 years when he is yet another failure in a long line of
    failures for the national team.
    If we settle for Paul Jewell we dont deserve to qualify for the next world cup.
    The lack of ambition by the FAI is a complete disgrace.
    Oh and who is the idiot who decided that John "they have a good work ethic" Giles
    should mediate on behalf of the FAI?
    At least they could have chosen Brady to do it from that panel of morons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

zabbo wrote: »

Mick McCarthy - Millwall

Kerr won a number of league titles. More than Jewell.

Its all academic anyway, Houillier has the job.

Sauce?

Mike.

Hasn't Houllier said the Irish job was below him? It is below him. We didn't go from Houllier to Jewell, crazy optimist nutjobs went from Houllier. We have as much chance of getting him as getting Mourinho.
    Jewell is somebody who might actually want to come. Personally, I think he's above the job, but if he wants to come, jesus christ, come fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I'd be very happy with Jewell. He'd be the best qualified manager we've had in a long time (if not ever).
    I can see him doing a great job with Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

IrishMike wrote: »
    Oh and who is the idiot who decided that John "they have a good work ethic" Giles

Well Brady couldn't do it because he was interested in the job. How could be part of the selection process when he wanted to be one of the men considered for the job.

A statement from the FAI is due this afternoon according to Newstalk. Giles interview on OTB this evening.

Mike.

Agreed. Wigan are no world beaters, but Jewell did very well with them. To get them into the Premiership AND keep them up there is no mean achievement. And with a very, very average bunch of players. There were much better teams (on paper) relegated in the mean time (Charlton had the likes of Bent and other top players). I think Jewell would be very good.

Well Boro are no world beaters but Steve Mclaren got them to the Uefa Cup final & things are not going to smoothly for him at the moment.

Thats what were getting a poor mans Steve Mclaren.

Jesus ****ing christ, come on. Who the **** could we get that's better than Jewell? Who could we get that would actually want to come and manage Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Easy tiger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

2 seasons ago Wigan had more away wins than any team outside the top 3 (beating almost half of the teams they faced away). Last season they finished 1 place above relegation but still won more away games than all teams in the bottom half bar Man City. It's no surprise their home form isn't great, what manager could make Wigan a fortress? :D

PHB wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing christ, come on. Who the **** could we get that's better than Jewell? Who could we get that would actually want to come and manage Ireland?

See post #21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Didn't this whole thing happen before Stan was announced as manager?
    Interviews in secret... rumour's O'Leary or Aldo was a dead cert... then it'd change onto someone else.
    My bets are Venebles or Hodgson will be next for a 'meeting' with Giles or some other FAI helper, and he'll be favourite...

While there's no denying Jewell is an excellent club manager, I don't see him as good as an international manager as El Tel

mike65 wrote: »
    A statement from the FAI is due this afternoon
    Which means they'll lead every journalist on a chase through Dublin, down to Athlone and over to Limerick, before deciding to have conference in the Westbury at half two Saturday morning, to tell us that Giles spoke to Jewell, but nothing has been decided yet.

John Delaney will tell us all how great he is though, so it won't all have been a big waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

IrishMike wrote: »
    We go from Houllier to Jewell.
    A man that won the Uefa cup, every domestic honor in England and France except the
    premership, the super cup etc to a man who managed a crap wigan team for one season
    in the premiership.
    Shocking turn of events.
    Will have to this all again in 3-4 years when he is yet another failure in a long line of
    failures for the national team.
    If we settle for Paul Jewell we dont deserve to qualify for the next world cup.
    The lack of ambition by the FAI is a complete disgrace.

We go from a man who was given huge financial resources by one of the biggest clubs in the world yet couldn't mount a serious challenge for the Premier title (Houllier) to a man who achieved miracles at a crap club with mediocre players (Jewell).

The fact is that Jewell is much better suited to managing a crap country with mediocre players than Houllier. Give him the Ireland job.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Interviews in secret... rumour's O'Leary or Aldo was a dead cert... then it'd change onto someone else.
    My bets are Venebles or Hodgson will be next for a 'meeting' with Giles or some other FAI helper, and he'll be favourite...

While there's no denying Jewell is an excellent club manager, I don't see him as good as an international manager as El Tel

Who?

Who?

Are you serious:confused:

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What kind of a bollox point is that? Jewell is foreign(as Desf mentioned already)

Some people like to glorify managers and players that live outside the U.K and Ireland. If he was called Paulo Jewellier I bet you'd be **** over the possibility of him becoming Ireland manager

Well Boro are no world beaters but Steve Mclaren got them to the Uefa Cup final & things are not going to smoothly for him at the moment.

Thats what were getting a poor mans Steve Mclaren.

I don't care about England and McClown.

Everyone is rubbishing Jewell, but I haven't seen anyone propose a better manager who we can realistically get.

/Edit Hodgson may be okay, I don't really know too much about him.

• Advertisement

another LOI fan then?

im sorry but how many Irish ppl do you see referring to people in the Uk as foreigners. Im sure DesF refers to his LOI club's new english signings as "we signed a foreign lad".

Stop talking *****

If Paul Jewell was a good manager he'd have being offered a good job by now.......he hasn't. If Wigan didnt stay up last season, he'd still be there, he left when his repuation was still decent. I cant see any of the Irish players respecting a young English manager. They should go for some foreigner (sorry someone in mainland Europe) with good experience.

another LOI fan then?

im sorry but how many Irish ppl do you see referring to people in the Uk as foreigners. Im sure DesF refers to his LOI club's new english signings as "we signed a foreign lad".

Stop talking *****

LOL

Never thought I'd be called a LOI fan on here.:D

I'm right though, their name sounds exotic so they are automatically better than any British or Irish manager

Afterall you would take any foreigner(your definition) over them

If Paul Jewell was a good manager he'd have being offered a good job by now.......he hasn't. If Wigan didnt stay up last season, he'd still be there, he left when his repuation was still decent. I cant see any of the Irish players respecting a young English manager. They should go for some foreigner (sorry someone in mainland Europe) with good experience.

Jesus all these assumptions, you are talking crap here unless you know Paul Jewell or the Irish players personally and they tell you how they feel.

Again your last point sums you up, Paul Jewell has good experience but he isnt called Paulo Jewellier so lets forget him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well Brady couldn't do it because he was interested in the job. How could be part of the selection process when he wanted to be one of the men considered for the job.
    Much better to get your buddy to be on the selection instead! :D
    Brady won't get the job though as he ruled himself out by saying that he doesn't have enough experience and that it should go to a more experienced Manager. He did however say that he'd give it a go if the FAI couldn't get anybody to do the job.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    2 seasons ago Wigan had more away wins than any team outside the top 3 (beating almost half of the teams they faced away). Last season they finished 1 place above relegation but still won more away games than all teams in the bottom half bar Man City. It's no surprise their home form isn't great, what manager could make Wigan a fortress? :D
    Wigan were a great team to watch in their first season up in the PL. The papers had a field day week with their "Jewell in the Crown" type headlines.

The following season I think he fell foul of the usual case of the better players being poached by the bigger clubs.

It's also worth noting that Jewell took over Wigan when they were in the 2nd Division (or 1st Division. Which is really the 3rd Division)
    So he's well used to getting results with less than spectacular squads.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    That's why the bookies love this stuff.

They should go for some foreigner (sorry someone in mainland Europe) with good experience.

Again, who do you suggest?

Unearthly wrote: »
    LOL

Never thought I'd be called a LOI fan on here.:D

I'm right though, their name sounds exotic so they are automatically better than any British or Irish manager

Afterall you would take any foreigner(your definition) over them

Jesus all these assumptions, you are talking crap here unless you know Paul Jewell or the Irish players personally and they tell you how they feel.

Again your last point sums you up, Paul Jewell has good experience but he isnt called Paulo Jewellier so lets forget him

Yes i think they should give it to the manager of some second divsion Polish team with a nice name.

There have being "foreign" managers linked with the job such as the Holland u21 manager and others who have acheived an awful lot more than Jewellio.

Good experience..............fair play he had one good season. We'll forget the bits when he just avoided relegation with Bradford and Wigan and done nothing with Sheff Wednesday (But he had crap teams its not his fault?). Sure Brian Robson probably has similar credentials and who the hell would want him. Steve Coppell seems to be doing just as good a job at Reading yet I done see ppl praising him like some ppl are praising Jewell.

Steve Coppell seems to be doing just as good a job at Reading yet I done see ppl praising him like some ppl are praising Jewell.

The thread is about Jewell, that's why we're discussing him.

Also Jewell is out of a job and is being linked with the Irish job. Coppell isn't.

For what it's worth I think Coppell has done better than Jewell, but we'll never get him.

Well you did say any? Retract your statement if you didn't mean it.

Of course there are managers out there who are better qualified but would they take the job? This isn't Championship Manager 98/99 where you throw money and they automatically come. Managers have familys etc to take into consideration.

I like how you put his time at Bradford as a failure when it shocked everyone bar the idiot chairman that he helped Bradford stay up. The next season after he left they fell apart and were relegated by Christmas.

Again, Wigan in his 2nd season a lot of his star players were poached and the squad was crap, he kept them up.

Brian Robson reputation was ruined forever when Terry Venables came in to save him at Boro. It gave out the message "i'm not good enough"

Steve Coppel was mentioned many times in the big thread about the new manager, I would like to have him to.

Holland Under 21 manager - No idea who he is, what's his achievements/Style of play? If he was interested and has a record like you say then fair play.

If they find any manager who has a proven record then happy days but I can't say I won't be happy if Jewellier is appointed.

Well you did say any? Retract your statement if you didn't mean it.

Of course there are managers out there who are better qualified but would they take the job? This isn't Championship Manager 98/99 where you throw money and they automatically come. Managers have familys etc to take into consideration.

I like how you put his time at Bradford as a failure when it shocked everyone bar the idiot chairman that he helped Bradford stay up. The next season after he left they fell apart and were relegated by Christmas.

Again, Wigan in his 2nd season a lot of his star players were poached and the squad was crap, he kept them up.

Brian Robson reputation was ruined forever when Terry Venables came in to save him at Boro. It gave out the message "i'm not good enough"

Steve Coppel was mentioned many times in the big thread about the new manager, I would like to have him to

If they find any manager who has a proven record then happy days but I can't say I won't be happy if Jewellier is appointed.

That's not really true though.

After first season in Premiership, Wigan sold Pascal Chimbonda, Jimmy Bullard, Graham Kavanagh, Jason Roberts, Stephane Henchoz and let Damien Francis and David Connolly leave after disappointing performances and injury.
    They brought in Emile Heskey, Denny Landzaat, Chris Kirkland, Antonio Valencia, Kevin Kilbane, David Cotterill, Fitz Hall, Emmerson Boyce, Julius Agahowa and David Unsworth.

Undoubtedly, they would have liked to keep Chimbonda and Bullard but the rest were no great loss and were replaced with better players.

Their starting XI and squad looked far healthier in their 2nd season did it not?

Well Bullard and Chimbonda are far better players than any of the new ones in my opinion. Kavanagh is no great shakes but was solid for Wigan, as was Henchoz.

One big problem that strikes me with Jewell is his woeful transfer activity, but atleast with Ireland he won't be able to buy players

He kept Bradford and Wigan up on the last day of the season from what I can remember. Hardly an amazing achievement. Two different results on those days and his name would never have even being mentioned. Wigan lost good players but what they get payed in? peanuts? and their chairman isnt exactly poor. So as you say, his transfer acitivity is woeful, it doesnt matter because he doesnt have to buy and sell players with Ireland, eh, does that not reflect on his judgement of players? If stayed with Wigan and continued his woeful transfer activity it would hardly get Wigan up the table. Hopefully he doesnt think too highly of John O'Shea!

I simply dont like him or rate him. The Irish players helped get rid of 2 managers (no matter how bad Staunton was) and I dont think their going to respect any young manager.

Dutch u21 manager
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foppe_de_Haan

"De Haan is currently coaching the Netherlands national under-21 football team (Dutch: Jong Oranje), with whom he won the 2006 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship and 2007 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. A semi final spot in the latter tournament also qualified the Dutch for the 2008 Summer Olympics. He is a former coach of the club SC Heerenveen from 1985 till 2004, the longest time a coach worked for a Dutch professional football club. He brought the club back to the Eredivisie in 1993. In 1999 he reached second place in the Eredivisie with Heerenveen and thus qualified for the Uefa Champions League for the first time in the club's history."

Getting Heerenveen into champions league and winning back to back u21 european championships with Holland is something I'd rate a lot more than Jewells achievements in football so far. I'd at least like to see them trying to interview managers like him or see what other coaches are available after the qualifiers end. Not rush into getting the first available manager thats interested and wont cost them a lot of money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Beenhakker

But unfortunately it seems like Poland have extended his contract.

They should at least give some thought to ppl like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement