Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Giles on Newstalk's Off the Ball

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

But isn't football like that? If Mourinho didn't beat Man Utd with 5 mins to go at OT with Porto would he of been made Chelsea manager etc etc etc etc

He accumulated more points(or better goal difference) over a season of 38 games, end of story. I just remembered he brought Wigan to a cup final to, albeit they got raped but Wigan in a cup final!

As for judgement of players, well we are hardly blessed with an array of talent, your average JoeSoap could pick Irelands best team, and yes Staunton falls below your average joesoap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Dutch u21 manager
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foppe_de_Haan

"De Haan is currently coaching the Netherlands national under-21 football team (Dutch: Jong Oranje), with whom he won the 2006 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship and 2007 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. A semi final spot in the latter tournament also qualified the Dutch for the 2008 Summer Olympics. He is a former coach of the club SC Heerenveen from 1985 till 2004, the longest time a coach worked for a Dutch professional football club. He brought the club back to the Eredivisie in 1993. In 1999 he reached second place in the Eredivisie with Heerenveen and thus qualified for the Uefa Champions League for the first time in the club's history."

Getting Heerenveen into champions league and winning back to back u21 european championships with Holland is something I'd rate a lot more than Jewells achievements in football so far. I'd at least like to see them trying to interview managers like him or see what other coaches are available after the qualifiers end. Not rush into getting the first available manager thats interested and wont cost them a lot of money.

To be honest I dont rate work at underage level that much. Sure Brian Kerr had a good record there. Also the Dutch have always been known for producing quality under age players and teams, not all them amke it to the top, but they have always produce world class players Ireland dont.

Also he was Heerenveen for nearly twenty years, it took him till 1993 to get them into the top division and another 6 or 7 to get them near the top. He wont have that kind of time with Ireland, plus its not as tough a league as the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Well true about the dutch league, but the u21 championships is a big thing I think especially with Holland seeing how much in camp fighting we hear about in the senior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

seen maxi in decked out in all his Dundalk gear in town @ lunch time...come on Dundalk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just wondering did anyone hear Giles tonight on Off the Ball? What did he have to say? Bill and the boys should be an interesting watch tomorrow afternoon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I heard the Giles interview
    Basically he said the FAI still haven't gone their selection commitee organized.:rolleyes:
    Giles reckons Jewell is a great candidate and he was concerned he would be snapped up by some club.
    He mentioned Wigan offered big money to get him back.

So Giles wanted to at least try to talk to him about the Irish job before it was too late.
    He got permisson from the FAI and talked to Jewell for about 45 minutes.
    Giles doesn't have the power to offer the job but he made it clear that Jewell was "very interested" by the end of the phonecall.

Dead cert lads, I'd say Jewell will take it.
    He's a future England or Liverpool manager and the Ireland job will be good for him. Very young and ambitous man after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I wonder what Souness will make of Giles essentially approaching Jewell off his own bat. It makes it seem that he doesn't think Souness is the best man (an opinion which he's of course entitled to), but it might make the punditry a bit interesting next time they're both on Rte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Giles still has a 70's fro... says enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

micmclo wrote: »
    I heard the Giles interview
    Basically he said the FAI still haven't gone their selection commitee organized.:rolleyes:
    Giles reckons Jewell is a great candidate and he was concerned he would be snapped up by some club.
    He mentioned Wigan offered big money to get him back.

So Giles wanted to at least try to talk to him about the Irish job before it was too late.
    He got permisson from the FAI and talked to Jewell for about 45 minutes.
    Giles doesn't have the power to offer the job but he made it clear that Jewell was "very interested" by the end of the phonecall.

Dead cert lads, I'd say Jewell will take it.
    He's a future England or Liverpool manager and the Ireland job will be good for him. Very young and ambitous man after all

That is where the story gets interesting. They say he did no such thing. His Herald piece today basically admitted as much. He was acting in what he thought were the FAI's best interests, but dont mistake that with having permission to approach prospective managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That is where the story gets interesting. They say he did no such thing. His Herald piece today basically admitted as much. He was acting in what he thought were the FAI's best interests, but dont mistake that with having permission to approach prospective managers.
    So basically Giles acted as a mediator even though he wasn't asked to? Makes him out to be a bit of a twat if that's the case, especially when he was the one that went all public about it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he's managed to get Jewell into the job I'll forgive him. You can say what you want about him, but he only has the interests of Irish football at his heart

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I recorded the interview, here it is: http://media.putfile.com/Johnny-Giles-interview-on-Off-The-Ball
    Draw your own conclusions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

BaZmO* wrote: »
    So basically Giles acted as a mediator even though he wasn't asked to? Makes him out to be a bit of a twat if that's the case, especially when he was the one that went all public about it yesterday.

Or Delaney hung him out to dry when it leaked.

At this point who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just think about this situation. Ireland have reached the the 2010 World Cup (yes I know) and have to win their final group game to qualify for the 2nd round.

What manager would you like to have in this situation? Venables, Houllier (both with vast experience at every level) or Paul ****ing Jewell?

Yes I know Houllier is a bit out of our reach but we need a manager with the most experience possible. How much managerial experience did McCarthy, Kerr or Staunton have before they took the job?

Venables has been there, done that, and knows what it takes at this level. A type of manager never seen in this country. He is my absolute no.1 choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

deise59 wrote: »
    Just think about this situation. Ireland have reached the the 2010 World Cup (yes I know) and have to win their final group game to qualify for the 2nd round.

What manager would you like to have in this situation? Venables, Houllier (both with vast experience at every level) or Paul ****ing Jewell?

Yes I know Houllier is a bit out of our reach but we need a manager with the most experience possible. How much managerial experience did McCarthy, Kerr or Staunton have before they took the job?

Venables has been there, done that, and knows what it takes at this level. A type of manager never seen in this country. He is my absolute no.1 choice

Yeah but he's an awful twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Just turned on the coverage on RTE there 10 minutes late, just wondering did the Bill and the lads question Giles about Jewell, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

tdv wrote: »
    Yeah but he's an awful twat.

oh well in that case, lets completely disregard any football management skills he has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

deise59 wrote: »

Venables is no more than a common crook! Remember why he left Spurs all those years ago. And he failed badly at Leeds
    I suggest you read this excellent book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Helix wrote: »
    oh well in that case, lets completely disregard any football management skills he has

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think there is no harm in what Giles did, but lets be clear, he didnt do much! All he did was make sure Jewell knew about the job, and after all, Johnny is enamoured with Jewell's experience for some reason.

I'm not however, and I dont think anyone should be. True, he did bring Bradford up the league but lets not forget there was bit of exta money available to get them out of the 2nd level, and similarly with Wigan. If we set our 'world class' manager criteria as somone who has

a) managed at the international level with success
    b) managed top quality teams

and I would also like to add:

c) an affinity with Ireland

Then Jewell in my eyes doesnt score that well. Are our ambitions at the same level of Wigan? I give out when the Dumb-phy's etc, pontificate that we should be winning the world cup etc and knocking out the likes of Germany and Czech Republic, but Wigan's level is a step backwards. True, a new manager like Jewell could do it, and everyone deserves a chance, just like Staunton did, but personally I think this would be a very risky appointment.

There is no exceptional candidate for the job, and we could do worse than O'Leary out of those mentioned so far. Souness, no, he is not a good man manager which is needed for the international role, he suits clubs better, Wigan even. Venables, no, we dont need any 2nd hand cars at the moment! Houllier, I dont think he could drive the team with the passion that's needed.

choices, choices ... or lack of them. Aldo, we could give him a go. O'Neill would be ideal if he were available!

World Cup qualifying draw is on this Sunday(?) I understand, and that will be a factor in people putting themselves forward, etc .....

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Jewell has a track record of getting the best from average players. He's young and his teams play good football.

Venables of 1996 would be great. Venables of 2007, having spent 10 years doing little or nothing, getting older, doing a lot of media work, I would have to question his desire.

Fair play to John Giles, he obviously doesn't want a repeat of the last appointment, he wants to see Ireland do well, so anything he can do to push the process towards a favourable outcome is welcome.

Its not a glamorous job, its probably not the highest paid job in the world. I reckon if we got Paul Jewell we would be very lucky. As for the other contenders, Gerard Houllier, nice man, mixed record in fairness to him,but most importantly why would he have the slightest bit of interest in becoming Ireland manger? Souness, likewise, has a mixed record, I can see why he would be interested, but I think he is a weaker candidate than Jewell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Russia a woeful team who play in sub zero temperatures on a plastic pitch managed to get
    one of the best coaches on earth in hiddink, why? money of course.
    Is it not in the FAIs best interest to pay a manager 5 million and qualify for the world
    cup, thus making them a hatfull in the process or scraping the bottom of the barrel and
    paying some second rate manager 1 million and failing to qualify.
    Paul Jewell is not a top quality manager, end of story.
    So why are we settling for mediocre yet again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bah, you're judging it all wrong.

Ireland needs a manager that is adept at getting the most out of mediocre players.

Jewell does exactly that.

A good choice IMO.

Managed top quality teams??? pah ha ha ha. The only way Ireland will get someone who managed top quality teams is if they FAILED at managing top quality teams.

Failure at the top level vrs success with mediocre players? Easy choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

redspider wrote: »

a) managed at the international level with success
    b) managed top quality teams

and I would also like to add:

c) an affinity with Ireland
    redspider wrote: »
    Aldo, we could give him a go.

So simply C is enough then?

Can the mods arrange some kind of lifetime ban for anyone that suggests Aldridge as manager?

gosplan wrote: »
    Managed top quality teams??? pah ha ha ha. The only way Ireland will get someone who managed top quality teams is if they FAILED at managing top quality teams.

Failure at the top level vrs success with mediocre players? Easy choice.

I think ya hit the nail on the head. I can't believe some people aren't happy with the idea of Jewell joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

PHB wrote: »
    I think ya hit the nail on the head. I can't believe some people aren't happy with the idea of Jewell joining.
    Agree 100%. The likely alternatives are Aldridge / O'Leary / Brady and similar. People are in cloud cuckoo land if they think Ireland can attract or afford Hiddink/Houllier/Mourinho or managers of that caliber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Will people stop the whole ''we have crap players' stuff. We have a very decent team, which if told to play the right way could be a great team to watch and qualify and reach the latter parts of tournaments.

We need to focus on being a creative team from now on. I'm sick of the boring Irish style. Let us play with an attacking midfielder playing off the strikers. We need to split teams open..we need to improve our counter-attack. Our goals are always the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Will people stop the whole ''we have crap players' stuff. We have a very decent team, which if told to play the right way could be a great team to watch and qualify and reach the latter parts of tournaments.

We need to focus on being a creative team from now on. I'm sick of the boring Irish style. Let us play with an attacking midfielder playing off the strikers. We need to split teams open..we need to improve our counter-attack. Our goals are always the same.

What formation of current players would give your suggested result?

If most people here think that Jewels can get the best out of a bunch of mediocre players, then I guess we have a bunch of mediocre players. A good manager won't change the quality of players we have, you've got to work with whats at your disposal.

Paul has my vote.

I tried a 4-2-3-1 on FM( I mean just to see the actual formation with the current players on more than a sheet of paper)
    Given
    Finnan
    Dunne
    McShane(He is ok with Dunne)
    Kilbane(I was impressed with him on Saturday)

The two in midfield would be Reid(Steven) for the box to box player, alongside a tidy player, perhaps Darren Gibson if he breaksthrough. Perhaps even Liam Miller, as he is tidy with the ball.

On the wings I would go for Hunt(and tell him to conserve his energy..just close down in your own part of the field. His touch becomes heavy when he runs around too much, and for a guy with excellent control it makes him look bad.

Duff on the right and Ireland, Keane or Reid playing off the striker with Doyle up front on his own.

Anyone think a 3-5-2 would be good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Jewell has a track record of getting the best from average players.

QFT

I think that's the quality we should be looking for most in our next manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I'd be delighted if jewell got the job.

He's a young martin o neill with a working class aura and that's what we need. Someone needs to give these guys a reality check and get them motivated and playing for the flag first and foremost.

We've no leaders on the pitch, Stan wasn't a leader off it and that's why the problem lies. He was *trying* to be a manager and you could see that in the way he walked, talked and his body language - it was forced and wasn't natural.

I dont want Ireland to have this ''work ethic'' lark. When I say this I mean I want the talent of the team to be the starting point, and then move onto how hard each player must work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I dont want Ireland to have this ''work ethic'' lark. When I say this I mean I want the talent of the team to be the starting point, and then move onto how hard each player must work.

No. We've had that since Kerr took over - talent. That talent has gone to waste because we havent had the balls of steel to go along with it.

First, you need attitude/commitment, then you build on it from there. If people don't like it, chuck them out of the squad.

Talent is useless without heart and that's been proved by some young Irish players over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

That heart crap is exactly what Ireland don't need, it will make for an average side with average ambitions (play well and do ourselves proud to lose by a small amount!)
    We need a tactition. Simple as.

It's possible to be both. Jewell is both. He got average players playing well, not just through hard work, but through a solid 4-4-2 passing system that imo would suit the Irish side.

We need the 3-3-2-2 formation.

Work ethic was the death of me as a footballer. I just liked striding around the pitch, bitta passing with the odd dribble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Work ethic was the death of me as a footballer. I just liked striding around the pitch, bitta passing with the odd dribble.

Oh my god are you Matthew Le Tissier? Oh wait you forgot to say I chip in with the odd goal of the season too,.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ideally I would have liked this appointment to have been made before this Sundays draw for the world cup group,now we have a situation were some tool in the FAI is going to be agreeing our fixture schedule.I cant wait to see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Jewell would be an OK appointment , nothing spectacular really , would have preferred someone with a bit of international pedigree

Advertisement