Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apparently I'm a muppet/spanner because I needed help...

Options
  • 16-11-2007 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Dear eqwtegmtykultyk,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Being a Spanner
    7 posts on lost my password

the solution was in the first reply

I've had to ban someone for posting a link to a crack too

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    [post]54429945[/post]
    I just bought a PC from a lad here on boards - link.

Anyway, just got it setup now to do some work, but it's asking for admin password. So tried "password" etc, with no luck. So rang romperstomper, he said he hasn't used it in years and doesn't know what it is :rolleyes:.

He said I can get a password recovery program on the net?

Need to get this PC going today, what can I do?

TIA...

Edit;

It's XP

All the best,
    boards.ie
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

No; I believe you're a spaNNer for being incapable of understanding / too lazy to read the help given... It's an infraction. Live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Seems harsh all the same. If ignorance was an infraction, well you can imagine...

Though I'd be surprised if you weren't warned first. Also an infraction isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

one is a useful tool, the other is a delicious processed food.

how can you mix up spam and spanner?

surely thats worthy of an additional infraction?

Personally, I love the "All the best" part. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

karoma is actually hot like, I know I'd hit it, what ever gender it turned out to be. That said I've a vague remembrance of meeting said person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SPAM
    38197-spam.jpg

SPANNER
    spanner.jpg

CAT
    shr_flr_small.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Love the nick, a lot of thought went into that one.

I read the thread in the link above.
    Am I the only one wondering what that infraction was for? (I see I am not)

It wasn't the OP who mentioned the crack software.

And as for "incapable of understanding / too lazy to read the help given... "

Has boards come to this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Bit harsh to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Love the nick, a lot of thought went into that one.

I'd say a lot of thought does go into it. Can you imagine trying to log in with that nick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I have reversed the infraction, while I understand the possible frustration when a user appears not to get the message, I frequently get similar queries from my dad when he tries to log on to his hotmail account and even more questions about which mails are safe to look at in his spam folder:)

The purpose of the infraction system is really to penalise a nuisance poster, so if someone is making a frequent nuisance across a number of forums, the combined infractions will limit his ability until such time as cmods, smods or admins can make a category or site wide decision about the nuisance.

I think there is a bit of a learning process here, a) infractions are not that serious, do not take them personally, they can be and are part of learning the etiquette of boards.ie b) infractions should only be given to nuisance posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Vexorg wrote: »
    b) infractions should only be given to nuisance posters.
    Agreed but some people seem to have a very low tolerance for some things and very different definition of what a "nuisance" is compare with others.

This is where the karma system started to fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Boston wrote: »
    This is where the karma system started to fall apart.

Too True, but then anyone could use the karma feature, which left it open to abuse, I think the infraction system may be easier to get working as it is less open to abuse and there is a smaller number of people who can use the system.

Time will tell.

Tristame wrote:
    And as for "incapable of understanding / too lazy to read the help given... "

Has boards come to this??
    Nah; only in a case like this, it reads as the OP wanting his hand held with a tutorial on cracking a password. The lock was a perfectly sound call, IMHO. The infraction is reasonable if you think that he might have gone off to another forum under Tech and started again there... *shrugs on that one*

Ed: OK... I could have sworn I posted more than is in my first post... Oo

Too True, but then anyone could use the karma feature, which left it open to abuse, I think the infraction system may be easier to get working as it is less open to abuse and there is a smaller number of people who can use the system.

Time will tell.

This infraction system sound exactly like the karma system which was only open to mods and attracted to peoples profiles. The think you're thinking of the rep system.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Karoma wrote: »
    Nah; only in a case like this, it reads as the OP wanting his hand held with a tutorial on cracking a password.
    not just that,
    there was collateral damage since ob got an infraction because the thread dragged on so

I'm still not 100% sure it wasn't a good bit of trolling - "but after getting a copy of XP, the CD Rom drive will not open." , and just couldn't face waiting for the "now the drive opens, but the CD won't boot"

I don't want to place a sticky "How to reset windows passwords" as that would set the wrong impression, but as I've said so often the local password doesn't protect files so I don't mind the odd thread popping up. Will have to rethink because it's not the first time people posted crackz because an original poster couldn't understand the advice given.

Karoma wrote: »
    Nah; only in a case like this, it reads as the OP wanting his hand held with a tutorial on cracking a password. The lock was a perfectly sound call, IMHO.
    In my humble opinion,it's unfriendliness in the extreme and contrary to the community spirit that I think boards is.
    The infraction is reasonable if you think that he might have gone off to another forum under Tech and started again there... *shrugs on that one*
    *might*
    Ah jaysus so now you have to be able to fully understand everything after a few posts that might be too technical for you or you will be infracted or banned and worse if you are a relative noob,it's assumed you are a troll because you don't under stand something??

I think Vex put it quite well,thats not what infractions are for.

I do know where the attitude may be coming from given that I modded the ICDG fora here on boards for a few years.
    You can get tired of repetitive threads.
    It's still not difficult to answer them though.
    Their presence doesn't cause babies to die or anything.
    Theres no ramifications.
    Really and truly...people do google to find out stuff,they do find boards for the first time as part of that process.
    They also tend to surf around a bit and look for information here on topics as a noob having came here out of an interest for something else initially.

Thats not a crime,it's part of what boards is for.

To be utterly Frank with you I'd feel sad if this place were to become that unwelcoming.
    It's just not cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tristrame wrote: »
    I do know where the attitude may be coming from given that I modded the ICDG fora here on boards for a few years.
    You can get tired of repetitive threads.
    It's still not difficult to answer them though.
    Their presence doesn't cause babies to die or anything.
    Theres no ramifications.
    You're talking to an AH mod about repetitive threads?

• Advertisement

Well usefull ones on boards where people in a community like share advice on technical things or services..
    Thats what I was obviously referring to.

Not ones like-who's your celebrity **** and how many countries have you visited.
    AH is more of a chat/discussion /have a laugh forum.

By the way,while I'm here, I did something simple just now,it's something I often do when deciding on a poster.
    I used the drop down and had a look at the op's other posts.
    Every single one of them are helpfull and constructive.

That took about 5 minutes or less.
    2 minutes to look at the last 20 for instance.

I don't see how he could possibly have been construed as a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

That's fair enough.

BTW, which admin is the hottest?

Tristame, I think you got the wrong end of the stick. It's my fault though.*

Where I was coming from: The infraction was not because the OP was "looking for help" so they claim, but for the type of help that they were looking for and how they approached it.
    No; I was not referring to the reptitive nature of the question - this never even occurred to me. Nor is it an example of an ubergeek's disdain. Password cracking should not be discussed in-depth and a tutorial should not be provided for a user:
    me wrote:
    The infraction is reasonable if you think that he might have gone off to another forum under Tech and started again there... *shrugs on that one*
    Again, piss poorly phrased but I meant - he'd go off looking for a cracking tutorial again under another forum and the Infraction can help keep track of this. It's still iffy = "*shrug*".

Cap'n wrote:
    there was collateral damage since ob got an infraction because the thread dragged on so
    That's not really something we can pin on another user...
    Cap'n wrote:
    I don't want to place a sticky "How to reset windows passwords" as that would set the wrong impression, but as I've said so often the local password doesn't protect files so I don't mind the odd thread popping up. Will have to rethink because it's not the first time people posted crackz because an original poster couldn't understand the advice given.
    Put a post in Applications &Fixes with a link to the password reset tool and a notice that discussing cracking isn't allowed maybe? The password reset tool is fair game as you said it's a question of physical security, and it's always suggested in these threads.

*My first post is missing contents.
    Also, the OP's post has also been changed from "spammer" to spanner? (Was: "Apparently I'm a muppet/spammer..."?)

Terry: ecksor. Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭eqwtegmtykultyk

Follow-up;

I pm'ed the guy yesterday who I bought the PC from, I told him I wanted my money back as I could not access it and I couldn't open the CD ROM drive. He said fair enough and offered me my money back or he said he could fix it.

So I drove from Tallaght to Kilbarrack (again) and he fixed it in about 10 minutes. He replaced the CD ROM drive with a DVD Drive as he said the CD ROM drive was knackard.

I can now use the PC.

Thanks for the feedback...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I frequently get similar queries from my dad when he tries to log on to his hotmail account and even more questions about which mails are safe to look at in his spam folder:) .

Oh my God!

We have the same father!!! :D (Although mine is 74 so I can excuse him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Jesus man, how do you remember your username?

Hmm. Each letter is the first letter of a word in a well known quotation.*

As in, for example:

frclmyeicntpcbtbh

If you know the quote the rest is easy. It's like a good password policy.

*possibly

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Terry wrote: »
    Vexorg. No question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Jesus man, how do you remember your username?
    ROFL. Apparently this is particular muppet just happens to be one of the scumbag spammers that has been sitebanned the most. Pretty much every s-mod has double-figures on this guy.

He's pretty much ran out of usernames to try.

Oh, and almost every post above got reported. You are all bad people. Especially vexorg.

Might as well make with the cats until this is locked now :)

As one of the unreported, I must say: Vexorg, I am very disappointed!

funny-pictures-behind-me.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Terry wrote: »
    Dunno. Think she has since changed her name, making it harder to use google hacks to get her pictures...:eek::rolleyes::p

hax0r-cat.jpg

Advertisement