Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something i have wondered....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

There are female only boards and they are not dominated by sexual conersation. There is more to life.

And have you wanered over to the cuckoos nest. There are a number of fora in which this happens. If you have not seen the majority of posts on this thread have agreed with the original statement so im obviously not the only one who sees it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Jules80 wrote: »
    and would like your opinion on.

I have not been around boards for years and years, well a year and a bit, and in my time here i have noticed one thing. Why is it that most of the girls who start to post on boardshave to makes them selves seem like raging under sexed overly hormonal sluts.

I have been guilty of acting flirtatious in my first little while on boards but then i coped onto myself and slapped myself upside the head. And began posting as myself.

I guess what im trying to say is why do the majority of girls on boards think they need to act like twats to get noticed?

And what do you guys really think of girls who post in such a way.?

How about you enlighten us and answer the question your self? Why did you act like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I'd say we are talking about the vapid Hello-magazine contingent. Customer care workers in massive call centres in outer Dublin. The sort who go to naff trendy bars like D2, Dicey Reilly's, Rogue etc, people whose very existence is defined by the amount of sh!te they talk on their bebo sites. :rolleyes:

Cuz i didn't know any better and tbh when i first posted on boards i lived in one certain forum and its kinda standard in there. Didn't see the wider picture. I also had some nice boardsies point me in the right direction and took their advice. Plus i was not as bad as some here. And also i coped onto myself and it seems some just don't, and continue to post like desperate bitches in heat.

What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Silverfish wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point. Its not EVERY female poster, or forum specific, it's mostly 'New Female User' specific. Lots of smilies and flirty comments in every post, and dragging threads off topic to reply to every male comment. They also make it VERY VERY clear by username or in posts that they're female.

I have to say I havent noticed it that much. Its not that prevalent
    There's plenty of female posters that no-one knows the sex of, because they don't feel the need to start off every post with 'Well, I'm a girl :) and I think....'

Users always assumed I was male until I stuck that wee girly avatar thingy on to my username a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

fits wrote: »
    I have to say I havent noticed it that much. Its not that prevalent

Just because you personally haven't noticed it doesn't mean it isn't. It's prevalent enough to have a Gathering card made for it, and that normally takes some doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The going of topic is the most common form of crime on forums , the mods on one gave up telling people because they just continued to do so regardless ,and now theose mods are hardly to be seen at all now.

Just because you personally haven't noticed it doesn't mean it isn't. It's prevalent enough to have a Gathering card made for it, and that normally takes some doing.

Whats a 'gathering card'?

When I said its not that prevalent, I meant to imply 'imo'.... Its just not something I've really noticed.

I'm not pretending to be the boards fountain of knowledge or anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

fits wrote: »
    Whats a 'gathering card'?

Second post on the first page.
    When I said its not that prevalent, I meant to imply 'imo'.... Its just not something I've really noticed.

After this thread, you'll probably see it a lot more, we've ruined it for you :(

Second post on the first page.

:(

Dont want to veer too much off topic, but whats the point of gathering cards?

I have noticed it a bit, but I suppose I stick to very few forums where it wouldnt really be that common. I dont really go into 'after hours' much, and theres limited scope for flirting in 'animals and pet issues' (at least there should be :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

There are female only boards and they are not dominated by sexual conersation. There is more to life.

And have you wanered over to the cuckoos nest. There are a number of fora in which this happens. If you have not seen the majority of posts on this thread have agreed with the original statement so im obviously not the only one who sees it.

Down with this sort of thing Jules. I won't have it. The Chessplayer will not stand idly by and allow Ireland to sink to this depravity.

Allow me, if I may, Jules, to quote Eamon De Valera. If he was alive today, and a moderator on the boards, I'm sure he would have been dishing out the bannings with a rabid fervour unprecedented on boards.ie.

That Ireland which we dreamed of.....would be joyous with the sounds of industry, the romping of young children, the contests of athletic youths and the laughter of comely maidens... It would be a home of a people living the life that God desires that man should live.

;)

EEHh Dev anti long limbed shenanigans never.

I've check out as much of Cuckoo's Nest as I can bear and I see what you mean. But the lads seem just as bad.

Maybe dominate is too strong a word, but the Irish and English female boards that I have seen, focus very much on relationships, sex and sexual health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Cuz i didn't know any better and tbh when i first posted on boards i lived in one certain forum and its kinda standard in there. Didn't see the wider picture. I also had some nice boardsies point me in the right direction and took their advice. Plus i was not as bad as some here. And also i coped onto myself and it seems some just don't, and continue to post like desperate bitches in heat.

What do you think?

I am not sure what to make of your reply. "Cuz you didn't know any better" Well maybe it is the same for them? Or is that a concept that is beyond your new found elevation above it all? Maybe you should be a nice boardsie and give them pointers?

Perhaps they to will "cop on to themselves"

Quite frankly the answer is you are all young. Kinda simple really. Applies off boards.ie and in the real world funnily enough.

These days, in these modern times, childhood last a lot longer than it did years gone by.

The answer to your original post is not really that difficult.

latchyco wrote: »
    The going of topic is the most common form of crime on forums , the mods on one gave up telling people because they just continued to do so regardless ,and now theose mods are hardly to be seen at all now.

Yes going off topic is not tolerated... so don't do it. :)

TBH David i think your wrong, childhood doesn't last longer it is much shorter. Kids are forced to grow up too quickly these days. And its not a new found elevation, as you so put it, i coped on fairly quickly, after listening to advise given to me. The majority don't want to listen. And are happy enough skipping along in their airhead existance.

But none of this takes away from the fact that i find it degrading and makes me kinda feel sorry for them. I'm sure they have a lot more to offer but they feel they have to act in this way.

I like when people persue interesting off topic veins that come up in threads.
    Over moderation gets on my wig.

Start a new thread if you want to persue some other topic. Threads going off topic gets on my wig. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

childhood lasting longer. no
    immaturity lasting longer, most definitly

and, /me puts on her acting voice+face

[acting]omgz like the internets is all boys, there are no girls on the internets but im a girl really i am and i have boobz, BIG BOOBZ, and like coz there's no other girls on the internets and therez only boyz and like ye're all anoraks and losers who'll never get a gurl i'll be your girl i suppose if you love GIANT BOOBZ and you'll give me all the attention i want coz im a GIRL and i have BOOBZ omgz lets go get locked
    [/acting]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I think Peared put it best :)

I just find it annoying, in real life as well as the internet.

I mostly find girls who fill their sentences with innuendos and flirting get responses.... but not the kind they're seeking. They want attention, and get it, but the type they get doesn't solve the problem that causes them to seek it, so it goes on....and on... and on. And eventually, they wonder why they've no female friends left, really.

I could post my long and rambling psychological report on this, but you'd all fall asleep with your faces against the monitor :)

Why thank you Silverfish :)

And at the risk of starting a mutual appreciation society I have to say I very much agree with what you said about these girls ending up with no girlfriends. But you know, that doesnt bother them cos other girls are just "jealous" and sure if men are looking at them its happy days.

I can understand (kinda) this behaviour in real life but not really online unless you're planning on following it up. Hmm its nearly enough to make me wanna turn up at Boards Beers. My god what a people watching opportunity. Like my anonymity too much tho.

*wanders off to buy disguise, camera and notebook*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

but they can follow up on it. there's beers and other ways to communitate outside of the board, liket he dreaded bebo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

I'm not quite sure I want to visit here anymore. I don't like the way this whole 'Patsy' area is heading. I'm not getting a good vibe.

On second thoughts, I take that back as new people aren't entitled to an opinion. Geneflecting as I leave.....:mad:

Edited: to remove a reference to a Mod

What you mean new people are not entitled to an opintion. In what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

July wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure I want to visit here anymore. I don't like the way this whole 'Patsy' area is heading. I'm not getting a good vibe.

On second thoughts, I take that back as new people aren't entitled to an opinion. Geneflecting as I leave.....:mad:

Edited: to remove a reference to a Mod

As a user with 7 ports ( as of now ) i really think your oppinion of this forum is moot. Your have had nothing to contribute so far with all of your 7 posts. This forum was not made for you, and you alone. So if you feel this forum is not for you, there are many more which should take you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Moonbaby wrote: »

I find a severe lack of women on boards, nevermind sluts.

hahaha I'm with this guy!!! The more the merrier :P

And just coz it's on a gathering card doesn't make it true. Those things are just for people who can't make a rational point in writing.

I don't always kow the sex of posters, but the girls over at BGRH are gereally pretty good banter. The posts always give me a laugh. And there's a lot of flirting over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

What you mean new people are not entitled to an opintion. In what way?
    Look here
    Like you said you are fairly new to boards, have a look around, go to some beers, and then have an opinion.
    And here
    Anti wrote: »
    As a user with 7 ports ( as of now ) i really think your oppinion of this forum is moot.

According to the charter, this forum is a place for the female boards minority to come. Great. Then when the female minority come over here, they will find that the majority of them are being bashed/ridiculed/insulted e.g.
    Why is it that most of the girls who start to post on boardshave to makes them selves seem like raging under sexed overly hormonal sluts............................. I guess what im trying to say is why do the majority of girls on boards think they need to act like twats to get noticed?

It's off putting tbh, especially for a new forum that has yet to develop a regular set of posters.

The charter also says that if a thread descends to woman bashing silliness the thread may get locked or sent to a more appropriate Forum.
    I think this thread has done just that.

Why go to the trouble of creating a new forum for the female minority only to bash the majority of the aforementioned minority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You are right about some things there July.
    Personally I think it is a bit unfair to you say your opinions are moot, and I'm sure I would be a bit pissed off too, had I just joined.
    But if I may just and say that after using on boards for a short while, you do get to see some things that aren't as obvious to you.
    I personally don't really mind so much what style a poster has to offer, it doesn't bother me as much, i can easily ignore it. But if it bothers someone enough to make a thread about it, then they are of course entitled to do that. I don't know if this thread was initially intended to have a go at certain users, but it raises some good points about how some Women behave in general to get attention.
    I wouldn't call it Woman bashing, as such. After all, Women are the majoritive posters on this forum and I think it is important for there to be a good discussion with counter opinions like yours to keep a good argument going and maybe enlightenment.
    I hope you won't get scared off, but as has been said, it is a new forum and we would like the users to set the bar themselves.

Thanks for the reply July, i can see you have a point to a certain degree. But i am a woman and i post on boards am i not entitled to start a thread on a topic that i have thought about and seems to have gotten a fair bit of traffic.

And in all fairness the person i addressed in that reply to had a look at what i was saying and has seen what i was originally posting about. And in no way is it woman bashing silliness. It is a very relative topic to all women on boards. Other people have pointed out opposite things and i have not said a word. So one raised a question and i responded.

As you said it is a very new forum and it still has to find its feet. And i would think you have a lot to contribute to it. If someone wanted to start a thread about women on boards been too serious or not fun or whatever and have a good discussion, well all the better.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

So what?

If people want to flirt, let them. Its not a matter of life and death.

And if some women only want to be seen as sexual objects on the internet, that is their personal choice. You don't know anything about them or their background or where they have come from. They're having a bit of fun on the internet, who cares? Personally I log on as a bit of escapism from the daily grind and steer well clear of heavy topics because i have enough of that in my daily "real life".

Your personal choice is to be seen as something more than a pair of breasts, good for you. You're obviously more secure in yourself than some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Maybe dominate is too strong a word, but the Irish and English female boards that I have seen, focus very much on relationships, sex and sexual health.
    Are women really that shallow?

• Advertisement

No we are not!

Advertisement