Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something i have wondered....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jules80 wrote: »
    And have you wanered over to the cuckoos nest.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    I've check out as much of Cuckoo's Nest as I can bear and I see what you mean. But the lads seem just as bad.
    Absolutely, Moonbaby, we are!! Quite deliberately, at that. tCN is a pishtake forum, and nothing said there should be taken seriously ... in fact, taking things seriously is one of the few transgressions in that forum. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine too. And yes, it becomes a flirtfest at times ... so what? It's entirely tongue-in-cheek. And truth to tell I am quite friendly with a couple of the other regulars in RL, and we often chat more seriously ... but we do that by PM, or on gmail chat, or face to face, not on thread in tCN.

Similarly, BGRH is a pishtake ... completely and utterly. I noticed someone (not anyone who has posted in this thread) popped in there recently to tell the lads to cop on and lose their chauvinism and live in the modern world (I paraphrase). I'm sure the guys laughed themselves silly, given that the "pull us a pint there, tanya, and where's the wimmen with the rasher sandwiches?" personae adopted there are, again, completely tongue-in-cheek and bear little or no relationship to how those guys behave in the real world.

Maple summed it up perfectly from my own point of view:
    maple wrote: »
    Personally I log on as a bit of escapism from the daily grind and steer well clear of heavy topics because i have enough of that in my daily "real life".
    I do occasionally get involved in more serious discussions on Boards ... and when I do, my approach and my "voice" is very different ... but for the most part, I log in to Boards for a bit of R&R, as I suspect do many others. And a bit of harmless flirting falls under that heading for me, as, again, for many others, I suspect. Where's the foul?

Hmmm ... ever notice how odd thoughts pop up from your sub-conscious, and you're not quite sure where they come from? I'm thinking right now that Hallowe'en is quite a while back, and that it's about time for a bit of Christmas spirit instead ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

But none of this takes away from the fact that i find it degrading and makes me kinda feel sorry for them. I'm sure they have a lot more to offer but they feel they have to act in this way.
    If you find it degrading then you're really only degrading yourself tbh.

Put it this way, there are A LOT of male posters on Boards who I think are absolute idiots, but I don't feel that their behavior is degrading to me because they are of the same sex as me.

Sure, female posters might be a minority, but why does being part of this minority have to be such a big deal? In the context of the vast majority of threads on Boards, one's gender is of utterly no relevance.

Some female posters might highlight the fact that they are female for attention, but there are an equally proportionate amount of male posters on here who play along with this and often try to initiate flirting with them.

I just ignore it and don't really consider it to be degrading to either sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I really don't see why what, for the most part, is very clearly toungue in cheek banter can be viewed as being so wrong. Yes, if it drags a thread off topic, it's a problem. However if its a "fun" place (tCN, BGRH) then why does it matter what posters say to eachother? Surely the point of places like this boards is that you can have some r&r, a bit of a laugh- with serious fora, if you so wish to go there. Similarily, why go somewhere that is "silly/ flirt" etc if it bugs you?

This is not RL, very few people here know more then a handful of posters in RL,but they will still make judgements on them based on their own hang-ups. I reckon most people here are nice, heck probably everyone is. I don't know most of you, so I can't verify, but I'd be more then willing to get to know you as something other then your post style. A lot of people have an internet persona, where they are ott, and a bit crazy, unless the situation needs to be handled seriously- and then they are calm, mature etc. This is meant to be a fun place to let off steam, not a police state.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

More fun police being recruited.

Sad to see.

And I thought this would be a fun forum. OOPS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Why can't there be one or two serious thread, where people can have an actual discussion. Why does everything have to turn into a joke or what ever. This forum was ment to be somewhere women can come and have a joke but also talk about things that they want to talk about.

All i am saying is that i have observed this particular behaviour, as obviously, have other people on boards and i wanted to to it across to other people.

God forgive someone wanting to have an actual serious conversation.

• Advertisement

Why can't there be one or two serious thread, where people can have an actual discussion. Why does everything have to turn into a joke or what ever. This forum was ment to be somewhere women can come and have a joke but also talk about things that they want to talk about.
    No reason at all, Jules ... I certainly wasn't suggesting that it shouldn't. Actually, I wouldn't consider myself qualified to make any serious suggestions about what this forum should be, given that, as you mention, it is primarily intended for women, and I don't qualify ... and I'm fairly sure I never will! :D

I do, however, think that there is a need for people to differentiate between the serious and the frivolous on Boards generally ... and not to mistake one for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Of course it can be both.

But this thread seems to be a b1tch and a moan about people having fun.

The Cuckoo nest is a fun forum.
    And it's not all sexualised like has been insinuated. And the sexualised bits are just another small tongue-in-cheek part of the fun.

There are some on boards who make no bones about saying in one way or another (and I'm not referring to this thread) that most/all regular posters in the nest are morons, and/or immature.

Fun and maturity have f-all in common tbh.

Too many people don't realise that, they think the opposite.

That's my 3cents.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

All i am saying is that i have observed this particular behaviour, as obviously, have other people on boards and i wanted to to it across to other people.

God forgive someone wanting to have an actual serious conversation.[/QUOTE]

So you've put your point across and its been refuted, deal with it. Some people agree with you, some people don't.

And hissy fit little comments such as the one highlighted above, well :rolleyes: is all I have to say to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This thread is both ironic and ridiculous, all at the same time.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

BGRH is full of flirtatious nonsense. Does it bother me? No, I love the place, it's a community, and a bloody good one.

Let people have their fun, it is hurting no one :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Peared wrote: »
    Theres nothing wrong with being a bit flirty, most people have that side to their personality in real life. But I have to say I cringe when I see girls who base their whole identity (online or otherwise) on something like... I dunno, having boobs say. Or acting "available". Its kinda needy, especially online, and imo comes from girls who value attention from men more than anything else.

We all have the same body parts and we are all capable of doing the same things wth them. Feeling the need to advertise that is a tad sad, and as Beruthial (I think twas her) said, indicative of having nothing else to say.

QFT!

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    And just coz it's on a gathering card doesn't make it true. Those things are just for people who can't make a rational point in writing.

Hey! I think the card in question rocks! >_>

Anyway a pictures says a thousand words .... unfortunately some people need it spelt out to them in BIG LETTER (and written in crayon).

Maple... Hissy fit you say...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Maple... Hissy fit you say...

can't view it on my computer unfortunately. care to enlighten me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

^Yep, it's Jules's reaction when a thread derails ;)

(not many people know this but...she is actually a 14 year old german boy)

That explains alot.

WindSock wrote: »
    she is actually a 14 year old german boy
    LOL!

Has anyone told a certain male mod with a penchant for overclocking? :D

Of course he knows, and thats why he loves me!

:eek:

Ooooooh ... ammunition! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

vote4pedois0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

You lot have far too much time on your hands. Jules I insist you issue some warnings for veering off topic.

• Advertisement

Report posts if you dont like them but I insist you don't tell Jules what to do.

chessplayer, thanks for the tips, but back seat modding is a no no :).... but you are right, and that includes me.

Back on topic please lads!

Advertisement