Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L Cert student looking for advice on DIT computing course

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

strychnine wrote: »
    Maybe im wrong but isn't visual basic a drag and drop type application, like frontpage where your hidden from the code. Also, calculators, clocks and mini-games???!!! Wtf!!??? What is this, a creche!!! ?

you create your interface in drag-and-drop fashion, but then you have to write the code in the background so that the interface does something. you can also code the interface if you so wish.

it gives you a good grounding in programming, how to use variables, arrays and all of that stuff. it's also used in various industries to "script" with, like games engines and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

Dudes, get a grip, Haskell isn't some obscure programming language only taught in DIT, it's used all over the world to help people develop problem-solving and programming skills. There are at least 40 seperate implementations of Haskell which tends to indicate it is reasonably widely used.

Just to re-iterate a point already made, the purpose of a computer science degree is not solely to develop programming skills for relevant for industry (but it is definitely is an important part), other parts include developing a wider range of key transferable skills, it's easy to see why certain subjects are seen as "filler" if you don't take this into account, but if someone just wants to learn skills relevant for industry they shouldn't bother doing a degree, they should just do a series of training courses.

More importantly the wider range of programming languages you encounter in college the more likely you will be able to quickly pick up a new language once you get a job. If the course just taught, for example, OO languages (VB/C++/Java/C#) then those would be the only ones anyone would know how to program, and then what would they do the first time they got a job working with 4GLs or something ? Languages like Java and C++ sure as heck aren't going to be as widely used in ten years time as they are now, something bigger and better is going to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

What are the assignments like/involve??
    An example any1??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I hated Haskell too lol, though lawlors a legend!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

barcoe4 wrote: »
    An example any1??
    when i done dt228/1 the programming assignments were as follows.

1. currency convertor using C.
    2. lotto machine using C.

last year they got a PIN entry system into a keypadded door.

nothing too strenuous.

they'll be different depending on the lecturer tbh and i don't know who teaches 211 programming so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

In DT211, the first assignment so far is a program in C which prints a list of powers and their max and min exponential values using arrays and looping structures.

The base value raised to the max and min exponents must also be produced i.e, if you specify the max exponent as 7, the program must list every value from say 0 to 7.

You also have to "trap" data using relevant measures such as ensuring only certain data types are entered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote: »
    i don't know who teaches 211 programming so...

How do you not know Denis Manley:p
    Both Art Sloan and Denis should be given some sort of medal in comparison to the small minority of "bad" Lecturers tbh:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

barcoe4 wrote: »
    An example any1??

Hard :(

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Anyone want to share some more info?

Thinking of going to TCD or DIT for Computer Science, tell me why DIT is better! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭The Hacker

haven't you watched our youtube videos? Its obvious why DIT is better :-) For the computer science course well I believe, don't know how true this is but employers favour the degree from DIT because a lot more practical, "hands on" work is covered + you have the option of 6 month work placement in 3rd year. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

Yup, I was talking to a guy who runs his own IT company now. He had gone to UCD himself, and he said he'd always wished he had gone to TCD (for the cobblestones :confused:). BUT he said given a choice of a TCD or a DIT graduate, he'd alway go for the DIT grad :D.

Advertisement