Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid as Irish Captain?

• 16-11-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Having read various articles and seen some interviews this week Andy Reid seems to talk alot of sense. He has been made captain at Charlton this year and by all accounts he has stepped up to the plate like a real captain should(granted I havent seen a lot of championship football just going on reports).

So my question is would he be a good candidate for the Irish captaincy as imo Robbie Keane needs to be let loose to start scoring again for Ireland.

I know this has been talked about before with regards Dunne and Given so try to keep it to Reid if possible

Andy Reid for Irish Captain 28 votes

Give him the armband
    0% 0 votes
    Maybe make him vice captain
    21% 6 votes
    Keep him as far away from it as Robbie
    78% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What's wrong with Richard Dunne?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Nothing at all and I think Dunne would be the perfect man but I'm just wondering if people rate Reid enough to regard him as a possible choice for the armband.

Like I said this has been talked before regarding Dunne and Given so I was tryin to avoid them and focus on Reid

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Xavi6 wrote: »

I'd have him over any player in the squad now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

He broke ranks and criticised the FAI and fans. So no, he is not captain material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

plus, he hasnt played that often in the last campaign. if hes as injury prone as that, then he wont be playin to be the captain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dunne is the only sensible choice but as Keane currently has the job it would take a brave manager to come in and take it away from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

The question isn't should he be made captain over dunne, its whether reid is irish captain material.

I dont think so at the moment as he needs to get a run of games under his belt and establish himself properly in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dunne would be my choice if he keeps himself fit.

Beyond him, Keane and Given, there are not many senior enough players. Carsley would be the only other one but then I don't know if he will be available for the next camaign.

I wouldn't like it to be Reid myself.

He is a good player, but not a dominent one - not even from an Irish perspective. I don't think he is a player to grab teh game by the scruff of the next and move us forward, and I don't think he would be the type of rip into a team mate. IMO, the captain should be the midfield general, or a defensive organiser.

On the other hand, i do question if captaincy actually makes any difference at the top level, apart from theplayer who gets it. If a player has the leadership qualities to be captain, then he should show them, regardless of who has teh armband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Give it to Stephen Carr... oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd give it to Hunt, the only player who seems to care about playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote: »
    I'd give it to Hunt, the only player who seems to care about playing for Ireland.

You think Doyle doesn't care? Or Dunne? Or Given?

I think they all care, I think Keane cares. But I don't think they show it, I don't think they really really put their country before their club. That's fair enough, most pros wouldn't. But I think Hunt does. I think he gets real pride putting on the shirt, possibly because it's still new to him.
    When he comes on, our drive and determination goes up instantly. He really really wants it, even though he isn't as good as the other players. That's what I think ya need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Q_Ball wrote: »
    The question isn't should he be made captain over dunne, its whether reid is irish captain material.

I dont think so at the moment as he needs to get a run of games under his belt and establish himself properly in the first team.
    I think Reid is well established in the Irish camp by now. In terms of respect from teammates he's up there with Dunne, Given, Duff and Keane.

Anyway, Dunne for captain. Reid would certainly be well capable though.
    Tauren wrote:
    He is a good player, but not a dominent one - not even from an Irish perspective. I don't think he is a player to grab teh game by the scruff of the next and move us forward, and I don't think he would be the type of rip into a team mate. IMO, the captain should be the midfield general, or a defensive organiser.
    Reid when he plays is probably our most dominant and influential player. He has the aggression and is as likely to shout at a teammate as Dunne is. In saying that, the players I mentioned above are probably immune to a good rollicking since Roy retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Xavi6 wrote: »

QFT! ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Andy Reid isnt vocal enough to be captain imo, on the pitch that is.

Which is just another reason Dunne should get the armband, he is one loud mofo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Dunne as captain and given as vice.
    dunne gets the nod simply coz he's louder.

as for reid...i dont think id give it to him as he isnt(or at least hasnt been) the heartbeat of the team as he is at charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I think they all care, I think Keane cares. But I don't think they show it, I don't think they really really put their country before their club. That's fair enough, most pros wouldn't. But I think Hunt does. I think he gets real pride putting on the shirt, possibly because it's still new to him.
    When he comes on, our drive and determination goes up instantly. He really really wants it, even though he isn't as good as the other players. That's what I think ya need.

Showing a bit of determination doesnt mean he cares more than the rest , just cos they have different playing styles , I dont think he is all that great of a player really , There should be more to the game than "pride" and "passion"
    , I'd have Dunne as captain anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Richard Dunne... without question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dunne as captain
    Given as vice-captain

That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Andy Reid isnt vocal enough to be captain imo, on the pitch that is.

Which is just another reason Dunne should get the armband, he is one loud mofo.

I fully agree!

• Advertisement

prendy wrote: »
    Dunne as captain and given as vice.
    dunne gets the nod simply coz he's louder.
    I'd say Given would be the louder of the 2 actually. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I think Reid is well established in the Irish camp by now. In terms of respect from teammates he's up there with Dunne, Given, Duff and Keane.
    prendy wrote: »
    as for reid...i dont think id give it to him as he isnt(or at least hasnt been) the heartbeat of the team as he is at charlton.

Sorry thats actually what i was getting at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he shouldn't be in the starting xi, he has the vision of a bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

loyatemu wrote: »
    but as Keane currently has the job it would take a brave manager to come in and take it away from him.

Why would it take a brave manager to take it away from him?

Call_me_al wrote: »
    he shouldn't be in the starting xi, he has the vision of a bat.
    Who's this? If Reid you've lost all credibility. :) In terms of "vision" he's top of the Irish by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i've made this point before, Reid doesn't have the vision you all give him credit for. against cyprus he was appaling, i realise that's one game but it's one of the only games I have seen live in a while.

he insisted on playing the ball out the left EVERY time even though Hunt was being tightly marked and lost it whenever he received it. Keogh was free every time and came looking for it a lot but Reid continued to ignore him, the one time he made a pass out to him he hit the byline and put a ball in, and then didn't get the ball from him again, then got subbed wiht 30 mins left.

Whenever I have seen him on TV he has never impressed me, but you don't always see everything on TV.

He was never that effective in the premier league, he is a championship level player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i've made this point before, Reid doesn't have the vision you all give him credit for. against cyprus he was appaling, i realise that's one game but it's one of the only games I have seen live in a while.

he insisted on playing the ball out the left EVERY time even though Hunt was being tightly marked and lost it whenever he received it. Keogh was free every time and came looking for it a lot but Reid continued to ignore him, the one time he made a pass out to him he hit the byline and put a ball in, and then didn't get the ball from him again, then got subbed wiht 30 mins left.

Whenever I have seen him on TV he has never impressed me, but you don't always see everything on TV.

He was never that effective in the premier league, he is a championship level player.

me + 1. Reid is so overrated its is crazy. He was shocking against germany and cyprus. He couldn't pass the ball forward or move outside the general centre circle area. Every pass went to his left or right... The full backs were closed down and it went back to given about 9 times out of 10...

Suggesting that he should be captain! Are you having a laugh!

Richard Dunne without a doubt is the only one ahead of keane I would give it to..

I'm with Echelon on this about Reid. Nowhere near as good as made out. Anybody else impressed with Hunt today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anybody else impressed with Hunt today?
    Nope, we all thought he was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Andy Reid shouldn't even be on the pitch, let alone captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

loyatemu wrote: »
    Dunne is the only sensible choice but as Keane currently has the job it would take a brave manager to come in and take it away from him.

Why? New manager, new setup. Keane's term as captain is now up for renewal and he doesn't have any automatic right to it. Dunne would be the obvious choice. Should have been Given the last time anyway, not Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I've always said that a central midfielder or a central defender should be a team captain, as they have a better view of the game.....

Robbie "Ah Ref" Keane is a f**king useless captain. He's not interested in what's going on behind him, cos he always has his back to the play........

DesF wrote: »
    Nope, we all thought he was crap.

You thought Nicky Hunt was crap when he came on??? Are you blind, mate??? He did very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

You thought Nicky Hunt was crap when he came on??? Are you blind, mate??? He did very well.

Doesn't he play for Bolton? Must have missed that! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Nicky Hunt??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You thought Nicky Hunt was crap when he came on???
    Well done. You got the name wrong and missed the sarcasm!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well done. You got the name wrong and missed the sarcasm!

D'OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:rolleyes:

Sorry dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think Stephen Hunt should be given the armband. His work rate/effort is incredible. He can bring even the dullest of games to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Has Steven Hunt even made a start for Ireland yet? No way in hell would he be made captain.

Richard Dunne is the only candidate.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Andy Reid shouldn't even be on the pitch, let alone captain.
    Get it right up ye!!!!! :D

How wrong you're looking with Reid now. Man of the match in 3 premiership games in a row! One of the best passers and one of the most intelligent players in the premiership.

It says a lot about that you actually thought Reid was a poor player.

• Advertisement

Yes and when Sunderland start playing in Dublin whilst wearing green shirts & socks I'll take that point into consideration. Great for Sunderland but I don't see that getting us any world cup points does it? I couldn't care less if Reid was playing for ManU and keeping Ronaldo on the bench if he still plays dogger for us. He plays like a lost man for us and therefore I don't want him playing.

It says a lot about you that you're digging up threads from five months ago. Slow day for you?

No. I haven't been on here in weeks so I thought there'd at least be a thread on Reid after his recent exploits. Reid has been really good for Ireland so far and is now probably our most influential player. If it wasn't for the lack of cover for Given and Dunne he'd be our most important player imo.

"He plays like a lost man for us"

What an absolute load of rubbish. Since his debut he's looked like he's made for the international stage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i'd say everytime he's played for ireland he's been our best player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote: »
    He plays like a lost man for us and therefore I don't want him playing.
    :confused: Are we talking about the same player?

Exactly. It's not as if I picked on some random guy who doesn't think Reid is very good. Pigman, you spend a lot of your time on here critisising Ireland and our players. I get a bit stick on a certain Celtic forum whenever an Irish player makes a mistake on match of the day because I'm constantly playing up the likes of A.Reid, S.Reid, Given, Dunne, and whoever else, McShane being the player I get most abuse about. :) I expect and accept that. you should expect me to be dragging up old threads about Reid when you're blatantly wrong.

You're the type of person that posts in a best 11 thread with the worst Irish 11. I'll keep dragging up your posts if you keep posting them. I'm sure I've given an opinion on every Irish player by now so I'm obviously open to a lot of stick as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

To be honest I haven't noticed Pigman being that Anti-Irish....Des on the other hand.

Did anyone see Reid against Villa? He didn't play great, but he was the best player on the ball, along with Carew.

First you say you pull up this thread up to acknowledge Reids form but then you go on to say you actually dragged it up to try stick one to me for criticising the Ireland team. Why don't you try making up your mind?

If it bothers you so much and you so don't agree with what I say about Reid and some of Irelands players then just ignore it. Just because you can blather on endlessly and blindly in your hyped-up way about a team and players who clearly aren't good enough doesn't necessarily mean I have to agree with you.

Given Dunne and STEPHEN Reid are players I would want in the XI but McShane and ANDY Reid are ones I wouldn't. The fact that you have to blindly support every one of these these wash-outs such as Andy Reid and never-will-be's such as McBobblehead shows that perhaps you rather than I should take-5 and reassess some of the stuff you're saying.

I don't dig up your old threads purely because I couldn't be bothered. What's your reason for being different? Does everyone (no matter how belatedly) eventually have to agree with you? I say what I believe about Irish team without enforcing my opinions on others. It'd be welcome relief to see you try likewise.

Advertisement