Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bones and Neutering

Options
  • 16-11-2007 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

Whats the right age to give a dog a bone? I have a 4 and half month old beagle and ive given her some bacon ribs recently and she loves them. The only problem i can see is that she eats the bones too, she chews them to pulp and eats them. I boil the bone first too.

Also what is the right age to get a pup neutered. The vet said about six months and im wondering is this because you need to wait for the dog to come into heat first before neutering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

bacon ribs
    :eek::eek:

Do NOT feed pork to your dog. In no shape or form, bones, raw, cooked, grilled, boiled ...doesn't matter ....DON'T !

Pork can carry the Aujetzky-Virus. This virus is lethal for dogs and can't be treated. For humans on the other hand it poses no danger whatsoever, so pork isn't checked for it.

If feeding bones (beef !), give them raw. Cooking only makes them hard and splinter.

Don't feed too much bone as it can lead to rather painful constipation in your dog.

Also don't give bones to pups while they still have their first (milk) teeth.
    Those teeth are very soft and can be bend out of shape, affecting the growth of the second set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

peasant wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Do NOT feed pork to your dog. In no shape or form, bones, raw, cooked, grilled, boiled ...doesn't matter ....DON'T !

Pork can carry the Aujetzky-Virus. This virus is lethal for dogs and can't be treated. For humans on the other hand it poses no danger whatsoever, so pork isn't checked for it.

If feeding bones (beef !), give them raw. Cooking only makes them hard and splinter.

Don't feed too much bone as it can lead to rather painful constipation in your dog.

Also don't give bones to pups while they still have their first (milk) teeth.
    Those teeth are very soft and can be bend out of shape, affecting the growth of the second set

Sheet, i should have aksed first. Feel like such a tool..thanks peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Peasant is right about too much bone constipating your dog. My girl loves them but I have to keep a close eye on her as she goes throught them like butter.

As for the neutering, most dogs are done at 6 months which is generally before the first heat cycle. Waiting for a dog to come into heat before neutering is not necessary.

Hmm i wrote something yesterday about being a responsible dog owner and then i go and do this. Ive just read a little about Aujetzky-Virus or PseudoRabie and i am sure my pup will be fine. Ill take her to the vet on the weekend for a check just in case and wont be feeding her pork ever again. Im sure ive seen videos on youtune of dogs eating huge pork bellies and the like and am wondering how many others out there werent aware of this like me!!

Anyway thanks Peasant and Toulouse for your responses.

Tom

Killme00 wrote: »
    Hmm i wrote something yesterday about being a responsible dog owner and then i go and do this. Ive just read a little about Aujetzky-Virus or PseudoRabie and i am sure my pup will be fine. Ill take her to the vet on the weekend for a check just in case and wont be feeding her pork ever again. Im sure ive seen videos on youtune of dogs eating huge pork bellies and the like and am wondering how many others out there werent aware of this like me!!

Anyway thanks Peasant and Toulouse for your responses.

Tom

Don't go and kill yourself over it :D

The risk is small, very small.

But it's lethal when it happens and easily avoidable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Oh she's sooooooooooo cute and very lucky to have an owner who has her best interests at heart. :)

I could just run away with her!

Don't go and kill yourself over it :D

LOL
    The risk is small, very small.But it's lethal when it happens and easily avoidable

Because its so avoidable it would sting so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Hmm i wrote something yesterday about being a responsible dog owner and then i go and do this.

Easy tiger! At least you asked, I did the exact same, only found out recently about the pork thing, couldn't believe it.

It costs a butcher 50 euro to get rid of a wheelie bin of by products. My local butcher is only to delighted to give me marrow bones. I pour boiling water over them before giving them to the dogs. Great when you have visitors that don't really like dogs, they stay out the back for hours without a sound.

That beagle is really really nice looking.

lightening wrote: »
    Easy tiger! At least you asked, I did the exact same, only found out recently about the pork thing, couldn't believe it.

It costs a butcher 50 euro to get rid of a wheelie bin of by products. My local butcher is only to delighted to give me marrow bones. I pour boiling water over them before giving them to the dogs. Great when you have visitors that don't really like dogs, they stay out the back for hours without a sound.

That beagle is really really nice looking.

Thanks lightening, i think ill lay off giving her bones for a few months though, might be best for her young teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Crikey I never knew that about pork either!

What about pigs ears then?

• Advertisement

might be best for her young teeth.

Yeah, my dogs are older. You could get her a kong toy if she is destructive, they have hollowed out bits that you can fill with meat or peanut butter.

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/x281.html

Lots of pet shops stock them.

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, my dogs are older. You could get her a kong toy if she is destructive, they have hollowed out bits that you can fill with meat or peanut butter.

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/x281.html

Lots of pet shops stock them.

Oh she has a kong, except she is too smart for it. When i put some food in it and pack it with peanut butter, she just picks it up by the rope and smashes it off the ground from side to side until the food pops out, i kid you not. Im gonna try one of those food balls this week.

fits wrote: »
    Crikey I never knew that about pork either!

What about pigs ears then?

Pigs ears are mostly grizzle, which apparently doesn't get affected by the virus so much. Plus they're heat treated and dowsed in preservatives which apparently should kill any traces of virus.

On the other hand ....:D

The get stored and transported in a very unhygenic manner and are usually riddled with funghi and mildew and all sorts of other nasties.

Ok as a "treat" every now and then ...not a staple food.

Pigs ears are mostly grizzle, which apparently doesn't get affected by the virus so much. Plus they're heat treated and dowsed in preservatives which apparently should kill any traces of virus.

On the other hand ....:D

The get stored and transported in a very unhygenic manner and are usually riddled with funghi and mildew and all sorts of other nasties.

Ok as a "treat" every now and then ...not a staple food.

Well mine get them as an occasional treat... but what would you recommend as the odd chewy treat?

I hate all those processed chews, and any time I ask for a bone from the butcher, he gives me a huge thing. Marrowbones?

and any time I ask for a bone from the butcher, he gives me a huge thing. Marrowbones?

He probably gives you the knee or the "knuckle" bone. Buy a hacksaw and saw the big ball or socket off, you are then left with a bone with marrow exposed each end.

yes thats what I got.

Well mine get them as an occasional treat... but what would you recommend as the odd chewy treat?

carrots :D

We do give bones occasionally ...but the dogs make a big mess with them, smell of bone for days and bury some of it to drag up a stinking mess weeks later only to get diarrhea from eating that then.

Carrots are much cleaner :D

Do they like carrots? Ive used grapes, she seems to love them but again only as a treat once in a while.

carrots :D

We do give bones occasionally ...but the dogs make a big mess with them, smell of bone for days and bury some of it to drag up a stinking mess weeks later only to get diarrhea from eating that then.

Carrots are much cleaner :D

yes meaty bones + carpet = smelly mess

I do give them the odd vegetable/apple core etc. Bob is very partial to outer skin of cauliflower.

I'll probably still give them the odd pigs ear though. I also get Burns treats which they love (and they have like 5 ingredients)

Do they like carrots? Ive used grapes, she seems to love them but again only as a treat once in a while.

Beeeep ! :p

Your second mistake today :D

Grapes and in particular raisins are also not good for dogs and should be avoided.

To save you from further embarrasment, here's a few more foods to avoid:

onions
    garlic
    chocolate
    spicy food
    raw potatos
    green tomatos

• Advertisement

Raw potatoes!

Its a wonder my dogs are still alive :D

(they kind of chew 'em rather than eat 'em though)

Beeeep ! :p

Your second mistake today :D

Grapes and in particular raisins are also not good for dogs and should be avoided.

To save you from further embarrasment, here's a few more foods to avoid:

onions
    garlic
    chocolate
    spicy food
    raw potatos
    green tomatos

LOL Ok chocolate onions garlic i get, but tomotoes i dont understand..why? Im also talking about 1 or 2 grapes not a boat load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

With regard to the neutering query, it is a common misconception that bitches need to have a season before they are neutered, its not true. Neutering before the first oestrus cycle virtually eliminates the risk of the dog developing malignant mammary tumours later on in life. The risk with neutering before the first season is 0.5%, after just one cycle its 8%, a huge jump, which increases with every cycle for about 3 years. Besides, dogs can still become pregnant during the first heat, its not worth the risk! Trust me, its much less hassle if its done at 6 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

what should you do if your dog has eaten a chicken bone ?

Advertisement