Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you help me? Internet question.

Options
  • 16-11-2007 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

First of all, I live in an area which has no Broadband available.
    A few years ago we got an ISDN line (Plug and Play) which allowed us to answer the phone at the sametime as being on the net. We got an ISDN modem from Eircom called “Dreytek”. Anyways, there was always problems with this. So, I moved out of home and the computer was never used anymore – it was a Pentium 3 processor so was fairly old.

So, recently my parents got a new computer. Neighbours down the road won a new one for themselves in a raffel, so my parents, when asked, jumped at the chance for a new computer. It’s a black Dell one. New looking in itself.
    Anyhow, my father seems to have gotton the old internet bug as last night he asked me around to set up the internet for him to check out a rugby site. They are currently charged €65 per bill for this ISDN line which never really worked. So, I suggested that they get rid of this altogether, and use, in the meantime, a normal dial up connection.

Anyways, my sister recently started a new job-they had no computer or internet. So, they ordered it and got a “wireless broadband”. She said something about it using satellites.

Anyways, after all that, my questions are, can I get wireless broadband on my parents’ new computer? I don’t think it is wireless enabled. Would I need to install a card? Are there anyother alternatives to all this? I have forgotton how get internet working on the computer as in setting up a normal dial up connection i.e do I need an Eircom disk to get me started and the Eircom switch number? Or is there another way to do this? Something not too complicated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi dellas,

Computer/laptops made within the past 3-4 years, or older even, can utilise most types of internet connection. Whether it be dialup, broadband over phone line (DSL) or via a Wireless broadband supplier, ie a dish.

Your sister's service sounds like a Digiweb connection or similar company. They supply a dish and an external modem which sits near your PC. Instead of a phone cable, you use a network cable to feed the internet into your PC from the modem. It all depends on where your parents house is and the availability in their area to be eligible for wireless broadband

Some people get mixed up with the word "Wireless". WIFI is for within your house, as in walking around with your laptop. Wireless Broadband would cover companies like Irish Broadband, Digiweb, Ice Wireless. They are your provider the same as Eircom for dialup and DSL. Only difference is, the internet comes to your house using radio waves, not phone lines.

I would be 95% sure the PC is suitable...if not, it would only be a case of installing a network card which should set you back roughly €20-30 for supply and installation.

Dialup is easy enough to configure. which version of Windows is installed? Here 's a link for XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310410 number is 1892150150 username and password is eircomnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks for the good advice!

I will configure a basic dail up connection for the during the week.

Yes, we seem to live in a blackhole when it comes to Broadband, with regards both cable and wireless connections. Seems that it is impossible to get either.

My brother in law has a 3G, wireless connection to his lab top and he brought it up at the weekend and the reception/connection was terrible. Maybe the satellite is the only way to go!

Advertisement