Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this projector any use for movie watching?

• 16-11-2007 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to acquire this projector very cheaply. I know its not specifically designed for dvd/movie viewing but do you think it would do a reasonable job??? or should I just stick to using it for business/club presentations??

Thanks

Olly

P.S. I've been mulling over getting a projector for movies for a while so now that this chance has come up Im thinking I'll use this projector and see if the setup suits me etc. and then perhaps get a better quality projector down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

It depends on what very cheaply means? I myself started off a couple of years ago "dabeling" in Home Theatre when I borrowed the office BenQ PB6240 for a long weekend.

Basically I connected the PJ to my DVD player & sky box with a VGA cable/Scart adapter and projected on to a blank wall. Picture was pritty basic when compared to my Optoma DV10.

You will get the experience of watching movies on a big screen (80"+) but without the quality of picture of todays HT PJ.

How much will the Optoma cost you?

JJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

jmal wrote: »
    It depends on what very cheaply means? I myself started off a couple of years ago "dabeling" in Home Theatre when I borrowed the office BenQ PB6240 for a long weekend.

Basically I connected the PJ to my DVD player & sky box with a VGA cable/Scart adapter and projected on to a blank wall. Picture was pritty basic when compared to my Optoma DV10.

You will get the experience of watching movies on a big screen (80"+) but without the quality of picture of todays HT PJ.

How much will the Optoma cost you?

JJ

Actually I've gotten it on an extended loan for free and it's working pretty well with a dvd player. :D:D

Running it off my laptop its quite poor for watching dvds :( on the vga input but using my dvd player as the source on a composite input its looking pretty good and even the sounds are pretty decent as well :) (I could wire up my surround sound later but for the purposes or experimentation I'm pretty pleased.

Now to let the other half get used to using it for movie watching and then I can convince her about going for a specific home entertainment projector at a later stage.;)

Wish me luck!! lol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

Olly, I feel your pain!

Convincing the other 'half' is usually one of the major headaches encountered when embarking on a modern home theatre installation!!

Probably one of the major objection to this type of setup is the fact it usually involves ceiling mounting the projector and running 'more' cables around the room.

My personal 'get around' for this problem is to invest in one of the highly understated All-In-One Home Theatre projectors. These pj's are usually a 480p (Native 16:9) projector with a built in DVD player and speaker system.
    Currently there are 3 models in the market.

With the built in DVD & 2.1 surround sound system, this pj is simply taken out of its (out of sight/out of mind) storage area and transforms your living room into an amazing home theatre withing seconds.

In my personal opinon this €1000 pj on a 90" screen will beat any 37-42" LCD hands down when it comes to the true home theatre experience.:) A picture paints a thousand words....

Advertisement