Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie - Heli advice

• 16-11-2007 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

I'm new to the RC scene so I decided to break myself in easily by picking up a Heli.

At the moment I'm ramping up on the simulator.
    I've a few questions before I get used to things been wrong;

- How does trottle relate to collective pitch ?
    - on the simulator the trottle always seems full
    - in reality is the trottle conrolled by a switch or a joystick ?
    - I take is the left joystick on the TX is for collective pitch/rudder control
    - Leaving the right joystick for cyclic pitch ?

TIA,
    Ray.,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

- How does trottle relate to collective pitch ?
    This depends on how you set up norm/idl up1/idl up2.
    Starting of you will normal use norm, this should translate to a 'fairly' straight line for both your throttle curve and pitch curve, i.e when you raise the throttle stick, your throtle will go from about 10% (engine at idle) to 90%/100% (engine up to near full throttle). The throttle stick will also act as you collective, so at the same time you raise your throttle, your collective (in norm) should go from about -4% (at bottom stick) to 0% (at mid stick) to about 9/10% at full stick.
    Idle up 1 and 2 used for 3d flying. this will mean your throttle curve will be a V-shape, i.e. bottom stick = 90/100% throttle, mid stick = about 50% throttle and full stick = 90/100% throttle again. With these setting and more - pitch at botom stick on the collective (say same at full stick : -10,0,+10) you will be able to invert the heli and still have power when your throttle/collective stick is below 50%.
    - on the simulator the trottle always seems full
    This is most likely becasue you are using a govener on the sim. this sets your engine/head speed is at a constant RPM, thus you dont have to worry to much about your throttle curve. You should be ableto disable it on the sim and you will see what I mean.
    - in reality is the trottle conrolled by a switch or a joystick ?
    With out govener, its controlled by the stick, with govener on, once your throttle stick goes past 25% (i think) it will enable and put your head speed at the RPM you set. You govener should be hooked up to a channel in your reciever which should translate to a switch on you Tx. That way you enalbe and disable the govener by flicking the switch.
    - I take is the left joystick on the TX is for collective pitch/rudder control
    depends on what mode you fly, In mode 2 (which is the most common for helis) that is correct.
    - Leaving the right joystick for cyclic pitch ?
    Again in mode 2, thats correct. have a look at attachment for flight modes.

If your starting off, I would say dont worry to much about a govener just yet. learn to setup your throttle and pitch curves correctly. then when/if you advance to 3d you can look into one.
    Try find a club and join, memebers can explain alot easier to you while showing you at the same time. Where are you located, they are alot of heli clubs around Ireland and im sure theres one fairly close by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Forgot attachment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Great Thanks...well explained.. :)

I'm actually in Budapest with my TX/sim, but my heli is at home in Carlow..
    Hope to get it off the groud at xmas :)

Advertisement