Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barrys or Lyons???

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

when asked about my favourite kind of tea people always think i am saying Barry's, when i actually mean NAMbarrie- nice and strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Barrys is the Catholic, working man's tea, while Lyons has always been a bit anglo Irish hoity toity.

Maybe because Barrry's is made in Ireland and Lyons tea is made in the UK

Barry's is better by the way.

Or Bewleys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

milly4ever wrote: »
    when asked about my favourite kind of tea people always think i am saying Barry's, when i actually mean NAMbarrie- nice and strong!

Yeah, nice tea as is Punjanna.

Prefer Barrys over Lyons.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Espresso guy

I have spoken previously with a very well known tea blender who always insists that if i must buy tea in a tea bag, that barrys is the highest quality tea available on the market, but a nicely infused mix of two or three different blends is best for me.......ah tea experimentation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bewley's followed by Lyon's. Barry's has a bit of a weird aftertaste to it, especially the gold blend stuff (the green label Barry's tastes a bit fresher).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Daffs

Down with the teabag, so NO to lyons & Barrys and to all out sub standard tea out there!
    Loose Leaf tea revolution....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

Bewleys is like virgin water, I liked Tetleys when I lived in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

deisemum wrote: »
    Bewleys is like virgin water, I liked Tetleys when I lived in the UK.

Virgin water?
    Is that good or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Earl Grey with a slice of lemon

<- See my avatar :P

If I had to choose one from the poll it would be Lyons Tea for me. My Dad loved collecting the tokens for the car giveaways. He used to let me cut them out for him (safety scissors of course :pac:), I remember being really young and loving the smell of the empty Lyons Tea box.

I'd actually be interested to see what percentage of the people drink the same tea that their parents drink. I've found this to be largely the case, of my friends that drink Barrys, their parents only ever have Barrys in the house, and vice versa for Lyons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lyons have a tea out called "Kenya Blend" and it's feckin lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco value tea bags 80 pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

OP your friend is right

Barrys

/thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

L31mr0d wrote: »

Hot?

I'm from Cork, and a Barrys household, but I prefer Lyons. When I went on my J1, loads of the lads brought boxes of Barrys, and I was given out to for my big box of Lyons :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

<- See my avatar :P

If I had to choose one from the poll it would be Lyons Tea for me. My Dad loved collecting the tokens for the car giveaways. He used to let me cut them out for him (safety scissors of course :pac:), I remember being really young and loving the smell of the empty Lyons Tea box.

I'd actually be interested to see what percentage of the people drink the same tea that their parents drink. I've found this to be largely the case, of my friends that drink Barrys, their parents only ever have Barrys in the house, and vice versa for Lyons.

That would be fun, I changed over btw!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

If I had been asked this a few weeks ago I would have said Barrys Gold Blend was the only tea I like but recently we bought a box of Lyons Gold Blend as it was as nice as Barrys, maybe even nicer. Previously I'd only tasted the Lyons in the green box which is pure muck tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I used to be a Lyons kenya-blend-only kinda girl, until they released their gold blend reserve. It's in a gold box and it's seriously good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Barrys. All the way, Barrys.

Lyons has a really weird aftertaste. And it's really bitty towards the end of the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Has to Barry's. not just because its Cork. Well maybe a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It was always Lyons in our house as kids and i've continued the tradition on. Same goes for milk,we always used Premier Dairies milk,never Avonmore,i still do the same to this day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Barrys ftw. Lyons ftl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 rbrt

Controversial, however sample Tesco Premium Tea Bags - I honestly think these produce a better cup of tea than Lyons/Barrys. Green box, half the price of the other two, would never have been looked at before, but I'm converted. Try it, report back.
    I'm a serious coffee drinker, have all the equipment and expensive beans from Has Bean plus grinders etc, from a tea perspective when there's a choice in the cupboard of Lyons and Tesco Premium, Tesco wins hands down for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Lyons Gold Blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Just love lyons tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Lyons Gold Blend, of course

Lyons tea. In the lovely dishwasher safe mugs. That you get free on their promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Barry's is probably my favourite of all teas. Lyons just tastes bitter to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Lyons manchester tea

Saipanne wrote: »
    Barry's is probably my favourite of all teas. Lyons just tastes bitter to me.

Would have to leave barrys in the cup for at least half an hour to get a good taste to equal the lyons one. And my tea would be cold by then. I am a lyons gold blend fan

mansize wrote: »
    Lyons manchester tea

No. Gold blend ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

No. Gold blend ?????

Well that's where it's packaged

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    Well that's where it's packaged

Manchester or cork. ????. Ok would probably prefer Manchester .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

They're both poor! Loose leaf is far better then tea bags.

Advertisement