Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Clubs - Greystones

Options
  • 16-11-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,
    Are there any Running Clubs in Greystones that cater to beginners? I am being cajoled into running a half marathon at some point next year and therefore need to get fit.

I would rather running around Greystones than give my money to Jackie Skelly's fleapit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I looked into this before and couldn't find one. There is one in Bray and they train somewhere on the southern cross road so it wouldn't be too far. Never went in the end myself though!....

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

If you find a place could you let me know...im also very interested...
    Im somewhat in the same boat as yourself..

I really dont want to join jackie kellys,,,, sounds horrible,,
    but i do need to do something in my evenings instead of drinking wine/beer.

i live in buraby mews and the burnaby pub is just so damn close.:)

wolf

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

There is a running club in Kilcoole, they train on the Charlesland running track
    i have attached a link to their web site

http://kilcooleac.com/training.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭SlinkyToo

I am up for organising an amateur club and working out some kind of training regime. I was an All Ireland Course Country in my Teens, so I think I can remember the training regime.

That was back in the days of the Greystones Athletic Club. We used to have morning beach runs, and town laps at night.

Drop me a PM if you are interested in joining.

would a beginner be catered for..

it takes me a few weeks training for me to get to 5 miles in 30 minutes standard...

wolf

just seen this:
    Easy 10K run, meeting at 8:30 am at the South Beach car park in Greystones village. (Subject to amendment, from time to time, see news section.)

• Advertisement

Yeah I have to start from the beginning as well. When I say amateur I mean very unfit, slow start training, buildup over months. I think the one thing that puts people off exercise is having what are known in the UK as 'Gym Rats' walking around. Its those guys (some girls) who spend all day in the Gym working out, and spend their time eyeing up the women and commenting on how ripped they are.

I am looking to form a non competitive, relaxing, maybe even stress relieving run and giggle get together.

SOB.....:( I want to be a "GYM RAT", too

Sounds like Jackie Skellys is just the place for you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

SlinkyToo wrote: »
    Yeah I have to start from the beginning as well. When I say amateur I mean very unfit, slow start training, buildup over months. I think the one thing that puts people off exercise is having what are known in the UK as 'Gym Rats' walking around. Its those guys (some girls) who spend all day in the Gym working out, and spend their time eyeing up the women and commenting on how ripped they are.

I am looking to form a non competitive, relaxing, maybe even stress relieving run and giggle get together.
    There is nothing relaxing or giggle worthy about running!

Masochists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Hey I'm in Kilcoole Athletic club. We train on a Wed's night, they usually drop you off into four different levels depending on your ability. Best bet is to just drop down and see what you think. It's 7.15pm Wed down at the track. The Coaches name is Eamon tilley very nice guy used to run in Bray runners. There are some really good runners down there but there are also some beginners.

• Advertisement

Jeez, who let Kilcoolers into Greystones??!!!!

Just kidding, thats good to know Damian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

I know they're claiming squatters rights on our track!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Hey folks, for anyone who might be interested in running with kilcoole ac the weekend run has recently been changed from saturday in greystones to sunday at 9am at the main gates of shangannah park in shankhill. the wednesday session still take place at the track at 7.15 pm.
    it is a great club that accomodates everyone from total beginners to gazelles. come along and give it a try.

Advertisement