Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishOpinions.ie Follow Up; The Rip Off Thread

Options
  • 16-11-2007 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Recently I seen someone post on IrishOpinions.ie in this thread about what the company was doing, asking people to sign up via email to a market research based operation, in which they would 'credit' your account everytime you successfully completed a survey.

Well, I have been a member of IrishOpinions.ie for over a year now and when I signed up I imagined myself getting at least €10 a week or something like that. I have only just, in the last 48 hours, recieved my first €10 (and it took them almost 2 weeks to 'process' the reward). So, having my got my reward for Amazon - the code was given straight away, I noticed that €10 is worth about GBP£7 and wanted value for my money, so I went to Amazon.com and tried to purchase something. It was at that point I noticed a series of 'faults' with their vouchers which I shall list below
    • The vouchers cannot be used on Amazon.com, only on Amazon.co.uk
    • The voucher is exchanged for £7
    • You cannot purchase items from 3rd Party Sellers, or second hand items
    • You must pay for postage costs on top of your item, there is no discount (although the voucher will encompass postage costs)
    • If you have an Irish address it is likely you wont even be able to purchase a single from the site with your voucher
    • In 99% of cases you have to add a credit card to cover 'overflow' costs

Personally, I find this unacceptable and do not believe people should be fooled by this obvious scam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

• You must pay for postage costs on top of your item, there is no discount (although the voucher will encompass postage costs)
    • If you have an Irish address it is likely you wont even be able to purchase a single from the site with your voucher

As far as I know, these conditions apply to any Amazon.co.uk voucher. Here's some of the fine print from Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Recently I seen someone post on IrishOpinions.ie in this thread about what the company was doing, asking people to sign up via email to a market research based operation, in which they would 'credit' your account everytime you successfully completed a survey.

Well, I have been a member of IrishOpinions.ie for over a year now and when I signed up I imagined myself getting at least €10 a week or something like that. I have only just, in the last 48 hours, recieved my first €10 (and it took them almost 2 weeks to 'process' the reward). So, having my got my reward for Amazon - the code was given straight away, I noticed that €10 is worth about GBP£7 and wanted value for my money, so I went to Amazon.com and tried to purchase something. It was at that point I noticed a series of 'faults' with their vouchers which I shall list below

Personally, I find this unacceptable and do not believe people should be fooled by this obvious scam

Hi

Reading your post looks like the main issue is with Amazon not with
    IrishOpinions.ie, the only problem I see with Irish Opinions is that they didn't specify .co.uk or .com but as they have in their website under Rewards "€10 Amazon voucher (£7)" is clear that is for co.uk

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Can't see what the problem is myself. I've been a member for the same amount of time and have had 3 lots of £7 vouchers for not a lot of work. I get quite a few surveys through but am female, early 40s and have completed all the personal info on the site . Often if you fill in the survey late or are from a more popular demographic group you won't be eligible as they will have filled their quota. I just treat it as money for time I wouldn't be doing anything else with and as such a bonus. Re Amazon.co.uk/amazon.com - I would always use .co.uk as the shipping costs are less and items delivered faster so not a problem for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

- Where did they say you'd get a discount on shipping or free shipping?
    - How do you expect to pay the difference without a payment method being setup?

imho this is certainly not a scam, sounds like somebodu just not reading the fine print or expecting alot of free stuff for nothing :)

I fully understand why there using amazon.co.uk, after all its a Irish site running the surveys and if you visit Amazon.ie it goes to amazon.co.uk NOT amazon.com :)

Certainly nothing wrong with them offering stuff that only works with Amazon.co.uk

At the end of the day if your not happy with the offerings then don't use the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

Cabaal wrote: »
    At the end of the day if your not happy with the offerings then don't use the service.

My problem lies with the amount of time it took me to get that voucher and then to find so many restrictions on it, and the fact that generally you have to wait until you get 2 or 3 vouchers before you can make a completely free purchase. My gripe lies with IrishOpinions.com because they do send me surveys but not enough to make my credits jump by anything more then €2 per month, so im left waiting 5 or 6 months for reward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

i signed up with irishopinions two years ago and i have done loads of surveys, yet i havent recieved any rewards, ever!

I have checked the status of my rewards and alot are pending then they just disappear???:mad:

dlambirl wrote: »
    i signed up with irishopinions two years ago and i have done loads of surveys, yet i havent recieved any rewards, ever!

I have checked the status of my rewards and alot are pending then they just disappear???:mad:

That never happened to me, I had lots pending for about 2 months but they moved to complete after that time, if they disappear send them a mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

nava wrote: »
    That never happened to me, I had lots pending for about 2 months but they moved to complete after that time, if they disappear send them a mail.

I was sent to surveys today. The first on Climate Change and the 2nd on Furniture. Both surveys were only sent to me today and I answered the email within a minute of recieving the notification. I entered my details and explained what area I come from (in the Furniture one I went into more detail) and yet despite this in both I was rejected and told I was not qualified and they had found enough respondants

I find this outrageous

worse is when you've spend 5 mins on a survey and then they tell you that they have enough respondents!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Just done a confectionary survey worth €3.50

Balance is €8 so when this credit goes through it'll be a voucher in the post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I joined over a year ago, I do most of the surveys they send me, sure sometimes you are not 'suitable' because they may be looking for a man in his 50's opinion on dogs for example and thats not me!!

I have received about 4 10euro vouchers for Boots since then, if you don't
    like the amazon vouchers because you have to pay for delivery then switch it
    to Boots or one of the other ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I get the surveys pretty regularly, and sometimes I'm not suitable, which is fair enough. I also started the GFK surveys about television and radio last month and I won a 5 euro voucher in the 1st draw I was entered in. The only problem is that you have to wait until you win more to get certain vouchers, because the amounts are listed in sterling so if you have a 5 euro voucher they count that as 3 pounds and some vouchers start at 5 pounds. Still, it was a nice surprise!

I get the surveys pretty regularly, and sometimes I'm not suitable, which is fair enough. I also started the GFK surveys about television and radio last month and I won a 5 euro voucher in the 1st draw I was entered in. The only problem is that you have to wait until you win more to get certain vouchers, because the amounts are listed in sterling so if you have a 5 euro voucher they count that as 3 pounds and some vouchers start at 5 pounds. Still, it was a nice surprise!

I also won one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

I have been a member of Irish opinions for 2 or 3 years now. It's only in the last year that I've started getting regular surveys, this may be due to the fact that I've been updating my details on the site as another poster reccommended. Also I'm 24 and have my own home, car, pets, insurance, bill phone etc so I may be eligible for more surveys that an 18 year old male living at home! Can't understand why people seem to think that this is a scam? They may need a very specific target group for a particular survey, and if you do not fit this group why should they pay you for it? The reason they ask a lot of questions is to ascertain whether you are eligible or not.

I have in the past had problems with credits being pending for ages, or vouchers taking several weeks to arrive, but any time I've emailed the address on the website I've had a very prompt response. So far I've received about €40 of Boots vouchers and just cashed a 5th one in today! I find that a fairly decent reward for occasionally filling in surveys that only take a few minutes each.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jenny-walsh

to be honest, the only way you can make money off any of these opinion sites is to join as many of them as possible. I'd definately adise plenty of googling and avoin paying any fee to jooin a site as all you're doing is lining other peoples pockets.
    Join maybe 100 surevey sites, most will hae you go through a rigorous profiling session, and none will send you many surveys, but between them all you could establish a nice little sideline income.
    One word of advice, if you're going down that road set up a survey only email address. :D

Anyone know of any other survey sites like IrishOpinions

www.testandvote.com

I only joined last week through Pigsback. You get points instead of money to convert into vouchers. A 15 euro cd wow voucher will cost you 60,000 points. I'm on 14,000 at the moment, just from filling out a few questions about myself, etc, and from doing mini polls. I got one survey so far, worth 2800 points, but the surveys can earn you between 2000 and 20000 I think. To be honest, I don't know if I'll ever get to the 60000, because I'm only new to the site, but sure tis worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'm doing a daily one from gfkireland.com
    Just answer a few qs about the tv/radio you watched the night before. Since I don't watch much on the Irish channels, doesn't take long.
    Each day you answer gets you a ticket, get 10 tickets go into a monthly draw, more tickets more chance of winning.

Won a 5 euro voucher my first full month, so its OK. Only take a few seconds each day.

MOH wrote: »
    I'm doing a daily one from gfkireland.com
    Just answer a few qs about the tv/radio you watched the night before. Since I don't watch much on the Irish channels, doesn't take long.
    Each day you answer gets you a ticket, get 10 tickets go into a monthly draw, more tickets more chance of winning.

Won a 5 euro voucher my first full month, so its OK. Only take a few seconds each day.

As far as I know you can't just go onto the GFK website and join up. I joined through Pigsback because they happened to be looking for people at the time.

Update on testandvote.com....got another survey today worth 4800 points. I might get that voucher someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jenny-walsh

I've signed up for loads and loads. Anyone interested pm me, I can email an international list. It's slow going but somthing to do in the evenings.
    There's also sites where you can get paid for clicking on ads, often you'll find surey sites through clicking on these.
    BTW I'm not a bot, not going advertising here, I can gie lists of surey sites for nothing, however if I can make a few points by referring people I'm not going to miss out on it, so a couple of links might look odd as they'd be linking to my thingy...set up...wotsit...username...not many do thet though.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

Is igned up with testandvote and irishopinions a few years ago. Like some people said you could spend ages typing rubbish and then be told you dont qualify, so its a waste of time.
    If nobody bothered they might up their rewards and make it worth peoples time.
    Personally I think anyone who spends hours filling out the surveys are mad just for a couple of quid.

cudman wrote: »
    Is igned up with testandvote and irishopinions a few years ago. Like some people said you could spend ages typing rubbish and then be told you dont qualify, so its a waste of time.
    If nobody bothered they might up their rewards and make it worth peoples time.
    Personally I think anyone who spends hours filling out the surveys are mad just for a couple of quid.

Ya I only fill out the ones that I know will take little time. I have 2 vouchers from Irish Opinions coming to me in the next week or so. I earned them over the last 2 months alone. But like I said, I don't spend hours at it.

I'm still not so sure about the testandvote one. I'm finding it hard to believe that I'm going to qualify for my cd wow voucher anytime soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

Yeah janeybabe, I filled them out for a while but got sick of it when you consider minimum wage and stuff my hours would be better spent picking up dog poo or something.
    Just want to make it clear im not having a dig at anyone here I just really did not find it worthwhile for the measly rewards they offer.
    If we all boycott they might make it worthwhile....hooray

cudman wrote: »
    Yeah janeybabe, I filled them out for a while but got sick of it when you consider minimum wage and stuff my hours would be better spent picking up dog poo or something.
    Just want to make it clear im not having a dig at anyone here I just really did not find it worthwhile for the measly rewards they offer.
    If we all boycott they might make it worthwhile....hooray

Yup, I filled one out today and I got 5.50 for about 5 minutes work, so that was worth it. But I also got another one that took ages! (I can usually do them in about a quarter of the time they say they'll take but this one was spot on!) I prefer doing the real life ones to be honest. I do them a lot and I get up to 80 euro for a couple of hours chat and free food and drink!

Just so you know, GFK are currently looking for people over 55 to sign up. You fill in a survey about television that doesn't take that long. The idea is that you fill in at least ten and are then entered in a prize draw. I won 5 euro my first month. Top prize is 1000. I have a link if you are over 55, so PM me and I can send it to you! (I do get 5 euro if you sign up, but dont let that stop you!)

Just so you know, GFK are currently looking for people over 55 to sign up. You fill in a survey about television that doesn't take that long. The idea is that you fill in at least ten and are then entered in a prize draw. I won 5 euro my first month. Top prize is 1000. I have a link if you are over 55, so PM me and I can send it to you! (I do get 5 euro if you sign up, but dont let that stop you!)

Hi

You only get them for the 1st 4 request so if you get over 4 pass them to me so I can also get the €5 to up to €20

Regards

Advertisement