Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prague

• 16-11-2007 1:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading to Prague on monday.Does anybody know anywhere in the city that sells good militaria,preferably WW2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I'll make enquiries but be careful. If you go to any of the flea markets or shops you can be sure that 80%-90% of German WWII material is fake or reworked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Preusse wrote: »
    I'll make enquiries but be careful. If you go to any of the flea markets or shops you can be sure that 80%-90% of German WWII material is fake or reworked.

Just like everywheres else!;)
    Any help would be appreciated.

Just found out there was a militaria fair in Prague Saturday the 10th of November :( Pity, as I was told it was quite good but you had to be careful because the Czechs had prices for their own countrymen and women but different prices for anyone not speaking their language. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I haven't heard back yet about possible shops.

The next fair may be in December but I am not sure at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I would hold on to my money if i were you, been there and whats not fake is cheaper elsewhere (and from sources that you can return to if youre not happy)

Soviet stuff in particular is for the tourists.

Got a field lantern and a german baoyonet quite cheaply,i had to go off the beaten track though..

• Advertisement

Hi degsy,

tried to fix your second image link but it didn't work. Can you post the lantern again, please?

As for the bayonet: It's not in a bad condition, only the scabbard. Have a look along the hilt and also the scabbard and note any WAa markings as well as makers names and all numbers. That will help pin down the maker and year.

I stand corrected, but the regular tourist areas do sell muck as i'm sure you've seen!

kowloon wrote: »
    I stand corrected, but the regular tourist areas do sell muck as i'm sure you've seen!

True,in addition to the russian labour medals and fur hats i saw some very ropey-looking iron crosses.

Hi degsy,

tried to fix your second image link but it didn't work. Can you post the lantern again, please?

As for the bayonet: It's not in a bad condition, only the scabbard. Have a look along the hilt and also the scabbard and note any WAa markings as well as makers names and all numbers. That will help pin down the maker and year.

The scabbard has 44 fnj written on it..the blade has E.Pack &S..does this mean anything to anybody?

• Advertisement

Not so worried about Labour and Anniversary medals, they're so cheap they're not worth faking, same goes for a lot of later soviet stuff.
    The orders of glory, red stars etc. fake, every last one of them.
    The German stuff is worse, dress daggers anyone? :rolleyes:

Degsy wrote: »
    The scabbard has 44 fnj written on it..the blade has E.Pack &S..does this mean anything to anybody?

I'll get back to you about that. Just a bit busy at the moment. ;)

Have a look around the area where the hilt meets the blade. there should be a two-digit number somewhere in the back of the blade just after the hilt and on the hilt itself (near the button) the WAa stamping (eagle style with number). It would be great to have these as well.

I'll get back to you about that. Just a bit busy at the moment. ;)

Have a look around the area where the hilt meets the blade. there should be a two-digit number somewhere in the back of the blade just after the hilt and on the hilt itself (near the button) the WAa stamping (eagle style with number). It would be great to have these as well.

The number "38" is stamped in the back of the blade..let me guess 1938?;)

The number "38" is stamped in the back of the blade..let me guess 1938?;)

Correct! ;)

It also means that the scabbard does not originally belong to the bayonet. It's not a big deal really but should you get into bayonet and bladed weapons collecting you will see that a very important part is to have the bayonet (or any bladed weapon) with the original scabard (matching numbers).

The condition is important too. Make sure to buy the items with no sign of blade sharpening. Bayonet as well as presentation daggers etc have originally blunt edges. Any sharpening of the edges will result in reduction of price and loss of interest to the serious collector.

Look out for bakelite and wooden handles/hilts. Both are common on these bayonets. Also be careful if someone offers you bayonets with etched blades (inscription etc. of particular regiment/brigade/etc.) These are mostly fake. Only few exist with a certain types of etching and they are all dress bayonets and the etchings are usually something to do with service time. But even these are faked.

To start with I would look out for a nice conditioned (no rust etc.) bayonet with scabard (not necessarily matching) with a bakelite hilt. The price should be between €60-€100 for these but not more.

Correct! ;)

It also means that the scabbard does not originally belong to the bayonet. It's not a big deal really but should you get into bayonet and bladed weapons collecting you will see that a very important part is to have the bayonet (or any bladed weapon) with the original scabard (matching numbers).

The condition is important too. Make sure to buy the items with no sign of blade sharpening. Bayonet as well as presentation daggers etc have originally blunt edges. Any sharpening of the edges will result in reduction of price and loss of interest to the serious collector.

Look out for bakelite and wooden handles/hilts. Both are common on these bayonets. Also be careful if someone offers you bayonets with etched blades (inscription etc. of particular regiment/brigade/etc.) These are mostly fake. Only few exist with a certain types of etching and they are all dress bayonets and the etchings are usually something to do with service time. But even these are faked.

To start with I would look out for a nice conditioned (no rust etc.) bayonet with scabard (not necessarily matching) with a bakelite hilt. The price should be between €60-€100 for these but not more.

Thanks for that Pruesse.In actual fact the blade is in very nice condition,perhaps not evidenced from the picture.There's no rust and no signs of sharpening,the scabbard is covered in some black oil gunk and its bright underneath(i'm not sure whether to clean it),again no rust.I have seen a HJ blade with etching from a reputable dealer..i think it said "blut und ehre".What do you reckon?

Thanks for that Pruesse.In actual fact the blade is in very nice condition,perhaps not evidenced from the picture.There's no rust and no signs of sharpening,the scabbard is covered in some black oil gunk and its bright underneath(i'm not sure whether to clean it),again no rust.I have seen a HJ blade with etching from a reputable dealer..i think it said "blut und ehre".What do you reckon?

If it is oily you can try wiping it off to see what's beneath.

The HJ knives did in fact have the Blut und Ehre (Blood and Honour) etching. If you are interested in a bona fide piece I can see what some of my collector friends in Germany have. You can be sure that the knife is not a fake or assembled piece. You usually pay more for the knives still carrying the etching. Lots of these have been removed. Also the HJ pastille in the handle has often been replaced or ist missing. Again, a fitting original pastille is always nice to have.

If you know the dealer pm the name and links to me and I can put them up in our Links list here.

Advertisement