Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get a barcode?

Options
  • 16-11-2007 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Hi there all,
    Just working on a magazine design job at the moment for a client, and he tells me it's possible he may need to get it barcoded.

I've never done anything remotely like this before - does anyone know where to start?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

Don't quote me, but i heard barcodes can be very expensive around €70000 to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I thought you could use just about any barcode you like, alot of retail chains assign their own barcoding structure, and working in a POS software environment, you would be amazed at the sheer number of duplicate product barcodes out there !

I'm not 100% about magazines, but i do believe there is a charge to get books put on a central database, I didn't think their was any laws governing what barcode you use on a product (but i've been wrong before!).

oh and i've done a few things like CD covers before, I believe just leaving a section blank for the time being is perhaps the best, and leave the client decide / sort out the barcode issue until its time to go to print - as a BTW, any of the clients that my company has, use EAN13 style barcodes as standard and their are free barcode generators out their (based in numbers/letters) if your client decides he doesn't need aynthing more than "A" barcode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Yup it depends on whether your client wants a specific industry standard barcode - or simply a barcode. If he just wants a barcode you could literally make one here http://www.barcoding.com/upc/ in 10 seconds and copy and paste it in. Only problem is it may conflict with something else the retailers stock - generally though thats the retailers problem. In books - sometimes books from USA have same barcode as a different book from this side of the altlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

You need to contact the EAN - they regulate the barcode numbers

• Advertisement
Advertisement