Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

torque wrench

Options
  • 16-11-2007 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can buy a torque wrench?

I need to tighten a wire to a specific 'load'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can buy one at any tool shop .. if you're in Dublin, say McQuillans in Capel St. or maybe a good Motor Factors that sells tools.

I'm confused though about how you can tighten up a 'wire' using one? When using a torque wrench you're tightening up either a bolt or a nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GEORGEHenry

Thanks for that. I've tried B&Q and Woodies but maybe a specific tool shop is a better option, motor factors never occured to me.

Yes there is a nut and bolt thing going on but its holding a wire in place, well actually, there are 2 of them and I need both wires to be the same taughtness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I have seen one in Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

You need a tension guage. It looks like the tool piano tuners use.It sit astride the wire /cable and the tension in the cable works against a spring needle indicator.You tension both cables to the same reading.Where you can get your hands on one i don't maybe engineering/fencing companys or do you have a mate in the esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

We use a "Loose Gauge" for tensioning rigging on a boat. Try marine chandlers - that will get your wires exactly the same tension.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If they are both heading more or less the same direction could you use a bar to balance them ?
    |   |
    |   |
    |   |
    |   |
    #####  <------bar 
      |
      |
    //////////////////////

Advertisement