Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Culchies day out

• 16-11-2007 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

December 8th is the traditonal day out in the 'big schmoke' :rolleyes:

Does it happen any more though? Would you be arsed :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Sizzler wrote: »

It does happen. Last year Dublin city was packed anyway. My boyf's family will be down from Mayo anyway.....Must be weird not to live in Dublin! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Must be weird not to live in Dublin!
    You'd be surprised how fast you'd get used to it if you've never lived there...

You'd be surprised how fast you'd get used to it if you've never lived there...

I can only imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Must be weird not to live in Dublin!

Clean air, no traffic jams, no M50 commute, less crime, less socail problems, less heroin muggers, cheap pints, a decent football and hurling team, knowing your neighbours..........etc etc. 70% of the Irish population

Poor bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

SetantaL wrote: »
    Clean air, no traffic jams, no M50 commute, less crime, less socail problems, less heroin muggers, cheap pints, a decent football and hurling team, knowing your neighbours..........etc etc. 70% of the Irish population

Poor bastards.

All this, in Limerick!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Poor bastards.

So 70% of the population live in Galway and Cork then? They are the only two counties that have a decent Hurling and Football team. Limerick threatened to, but they didn't quite make it.

Also, cheaper does not mean cheap, and the crap about knowing your neighbours and less crime does not really fit either to all parts of the country. The countryside, yes, other cities, no.

Poor bastards.

Have to say I know all my neighbours and don't use the M50. I spend a lot of time on Clare Island, off Mayo (the boyf's home "town") and love it but I have to get a boat to go to the bank and the pub doesn't open until 8pm. That said, obviously that's an extreme example of "the country" I realise!

I also spend a lot of time in Enniscorthy (with my other boyfriend :D) and it's grand. Sundays are crap though because nothing opens. I dunno, I just like Dublin, warts and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I knew what this thread was about the second I read the title. I remember it years ago when I was young. All the country kids being afraid of the escalators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

ah let them come up i say, the one day a year they get to experience what being a stinking townie crammed together with nasty foreigners feels like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

cance wrote: »
    ah let them come up i say, the one day a year they get to experience what being a stinking townie crammed together with nasty foreigners feels like.

Don't hold back there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Frantic Friday" is olde Irelande, old habits die hard for those of a certain age group but why would anyone else shlep up to Dublin these days. Not for a grand day out, thats for sure.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Massey Fergusons blocking O'Connell Street. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

5starpool wrote: »
    So 70% of the population live in Galway and Cork then? They are the only two counties that have a decent Hurling and Football team. Limerick threatened to, but they didn't quite make it.

Also, cheaper does not mean cheap, and the crap about knowing your neighbours and less crime does not really fit either to all parts of the country. The countryside, yes, other cities, no.

I would like to object to you saying cork and galway have good football teams

Rob_l wrote: »
    I would like to object to you saying cork and galway have good football teams

i see your objection, and raise you this. 90% of us inside of the pale dont give a shíte. :D

When did we refine the parameters to one couty Vs one county? I was speaking about Dublin Vs the rest. Look I'll even give you the pale counties as they might as well be re-named Dublin beag + 2 hours drive (with traffic).

Look you can be as pedantic as you like. I spent 23 years living in Killarney, Galway and Cork and I've had three in Dublin. The dubs seeem to be like Americans with only 5% with passports thinking anything outside their own area is dark and backward. The country has a better living standard in general for the majority of the persons living in it.

I didn't even mention the difference in house prices..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

cance wrote: »
    i see your objection, and raise you this. 90% of us inside of the pale dont give a shíte. :D

This may be true but that doesn't mean you should go around saying it

This may be true but that doesn't mean you should go around saying it

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not for love nor money would I drive all the way to Dublin to do Christmas shopping. We do have shops out here you know and just this year we got the internet. :)

The only reason I'd go to Dublin these days is to get a flight. Either that or some concert, it would have to be someone pretty special though. The Apocalypse featuring Jesus would be about the only thing I'd be willing to go see. That'd be a bit of craic, watching Dublin burn. :p

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Classic :D

Pity you didnt have the rear pic so we could see the towbar ;)

When did we refine the parameters to one couty Vs one county? I was speaking about Dublin Vs the rest. Look I'll even give you the pale counties as they might as well be re-named Dublin beag + 2 hours drive (with traffic).

Look you can be as pedantic as you like. I spent 23 years living in Killarney, Galway and Cork and I've had three in Dublin. The dubs seeem to be like Americans with only 5% with passports thinking anything outside their own area is dark and backward. The country has a better living standard in general for the majority of the persons living in it.

I didn't even mention the difference in house prices..............

Laughable, you believe 5 percent of dubs have passports obviously this statistic is bullcrap or budget travel wouldn not be the booming succes it is here and as result of you using bullcrap statistics to prove your point that thusly makes everything else you say highly doubtful.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The only reason I'd go to Dublin these days is to get a flight

For a second there I thought you said fight ;)

Not for love nor money would I drive all the way to Dublin to do Christmas shopping. We do have shops out here you know and just this year we got the internet. :)

The only reason I'd go to Dublin these days is to get a flight. Either that or some concert, it would have to be someone pretty special though. The Apocalypse featuring Jesus would be about the only thing I'd be willing to go see. That'd be a bit of craic, watching Dublin burn. :p

should this not be in the dublin forums mods?

Typical backwards bogger thinking here Dublin cant be the site of the apocalypse because it is already built on the original site of the Garden of Eden and when god has scoured the world of all others but the chosen(where chosen is typed enter DUBS) it will once again return to its former state

should this not be in the dublin forums mods?

Typical backwards bogger thinking here Dublin cant be the site of the apocalypse because it is already built on the original site of the Garden of Eden and when god has scoured the world of all others but the chosen(where chosen is typed enter DUBS) it will once again return to its former state
    England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

zuutroy wrote: »
    All the country kids being afraid of the escalators.

Where did they come from? The 1850's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sizzler wrote: »

No, we live in a world of on-line shopping these days. December 8th has become the day culchies power up the diesel fueled generator that runs their laptop and go then wild with the 56k modem.

Laughable, you believe 5 percent of dubs have passports obviously this statistic is bullcrap or budget travel wouldn not be the booming succes it is here and as result of you using bullcrap statistics to prove your point that thusly makes everything else you say highly doubtful.

Only 5% of Americans have passports. Learn to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Where did they come from? The 1850's?

:D Well, I wouldn't say your average rural 7 year old came across them too often in 1985.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote: »
    No we live in a world of on-line shopping these days. December 8th is the day culchies power up the diesel powered generator that runs their laptops.
    I don't know who came up with this laptop lark, the owl BBC micro has the legs burnt off me I just had to go back to leaving it up ontop the silage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Ahhh the old Dublin v country debate.

Says I to hersel abroad in the garden "sure if you were livin above in Dublin won't be horrible altogether with the nise and the smog and the drugs aren't we as well off down here with Mick and Tom and Paddy and the pigs and the thractors"

*hikes up trousers using baleing twine and leaves thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah bollocks ,its falling on a saturday this year!

****ing town will be a nightmare and the traffics bad enough as it is now.

god damn culchies, only good for insecure farmers daughters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Along with the shopping I wonder will any of them be up here looking to "take a wife"? (where to I know not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's better to have them all up on one day than a constant stream of them.

Also, please have your passports and visas open and ready for inspection.

That is all.

Coppers. Surely.

I find it ironic that the majority of the "dubs" on here are most likely 1st generation dubs whoose "culshie" parents moved into the city for work. Besides the real dubs can't read and write. Everyone knows that. I mean if we're going to badgering sterotypes lets get it accurate people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Poor bastards.

Crappy Roads, smells of cow sh*t, slow internet, less amenities, 1 night club, limited available social activities, 5 years behind on what's cool, no international airport, no public transport, chip on shoulder, nearest shop and/or friend's house is miles away, no street lighting, limited social skills due living in a small town with other boggers, less job opportunities.......etc, etc. 70% of the Irish population

Poor bastards.

I think Father Ted summed up rural Ireland just right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mike65 wrote: »
    "Frantic Friday" is olde Irelande, old habits die hard for those of a certain age group but why would anyone else shlep up to Dublin these days. Not for a grand day out, thats for sure.

Mike.

Dublin is such a mystical place to me that even in three years in Maynooth I didn't go into town more than a handful of times.

Crappy Roads, smells of cow sh*t, slow internet, less amenities, 1 night club, limited available social activities, 5 years behind on what's cool, no international airport, no public transport, chip on shoulder, nearest shop and/or friend's house is miles away, no street lighting, limited social skills due living in a small town with other boggers, less job opportunities.......etc, etc. 70% of the Irish population

poppy cock indeed.

Crappy Roads- Yes because the roads in Dublin use special concrete. Roads are the same. Only difference is less traffic so we get to use ours.

smells of cow sh*t,- That's called a farm. I think you'll find that clean air actually smells rather pleasant.

less amenities- depends on what you like to do. heroin use is defo curbed
    slow internet- braodband roll out slow- granted.

1 night club, limited available social activities- depends on the town I guess but that's only a very limited number of really isolated towns. very few.

5 years behind on what's cool, :rolleyes: Oh please. mullets and pj's in the day- you can have it.

no international airport, shannon, cork, Kerry, sligo, galway.

no public transport- apart from the luas and dart- its the same.

chip on shoulder- other way round I think- this thread wasn't started by culshies slagging the dubs.

nearest shop and/or friend's house is miles away. - depends. I'm from Killarney so I pop next door.

limited social skills due living in a small town with other boggers- actually the oppisate. Better social network and community spirit. Unless- "come here and I'll ride ya" is your idea of a social contact.

less job opportunities- sadly true, that's why I have to live in Dublin.

The dubs seeem to be like Americans with only 5% with passports thinking anything outside their own area is dark and backward.

If I misinterpeted your intention it was because you failed to clarify the above statement, it clearly links dubs to americans and then states five percent of those they are like have passports.
    Seeing as you have only given two things which you see as qualities of american one must presume you are accusing the dubs of having the same qualities.

Perhaps you should learn to be more careful in what and how you type.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

England?

Viking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Coppers. Surely.

I find it ironic that the majority of the "dubs" on here are most likely 1st generation dubs whoose "culshie" parents moved into the city for work. Besides the real dubs can't read and write. Everyone knows that. I mean if we're going to badgering sterotypes lets get it accurate people.

Oh good jebus don't tell me you are one those people who can be heard b1tching about their neighbours/people?

[snooty tards]
    'They are 2nd generation :eek:, I'm 12th generation born and reared, one of the high kings of Ireland lamped my great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother out of it, right here in this town' [/snooty tards]

Can't stand that obnoxious sh1ttttte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Coppers. Surely.

Pfft! I'm 14th generation dub. I'd be rich right now If my great, great something or other didn't love a catholic woman! (Also I wouldn't be here at all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Whats the point in amenities when you dont have time to avail of them...

2+hour daily commute,
    everyone in a foul mood,
    cost of living,

v

up at dawn and a 1 hour surf before work
    nice air and a scenic walk home after work
    virtually no crime

no contest, so why am i still here? :mad: yup that thing called work !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Crappy Roads- Yes because the roads in Dublin use special concrete. Roads are the same. Only difference is less traffic so we get to use ours.
    Country roads are narrow, windy, not lit, and full of potholes.
    smells of cow sh*t,- That's called a farm. I think you'll find that clean air actually smells rather pleasant.
    I live in Howth - I prefer the fresh sea air to cow sh*t, but thanks anyway.
    less amenities- depends on what you like to do. heroin use is defo curbed
    slow internet- braodband roll out slow- granted.
    I was referring to bowling, karting, karaoke, gyms, concerts, supermarkets, cinemas, etc, etc, etc.

1 night club, limited available social activities- depends on the town I guess but that's only a very limited number of really isolated towns. very few.
    Agreed.
    5 years behind on what's cool, :rolleyes: Oh please. mullets and pj's in the day- you can have it.
    Oh, you're referring to the knackers. I was referring to music & trends. In bogger nightclubs, they still play 'Saturday Night' by Whigfield, and they shout "Alice, Alice - who the f*ck is Alice?" while stomping their feet. I saw it firsthand in Waterford & Athlone this year alone.

no international airport, shannon, cork, Kerry, sligo, galway.
    Air Araan doesn't count. I'm referring to non propellar flights. Besides Shannon (which is only still in business because of the government), all boggers must drive to Dublin or Belfast to go on Holidays.
    no public transport- apart from the luas and dart- its the same.
    So boggers have the equivalent of Dublin Bus: i.e. lots of routes & frequency?
    chip on shoulder- other way round I think- this thread wasn't started by culshies slagging the dubs.
    See "People's Republic of Cork" as a prime example of a chip.
    nearest shop and/or friend's house is miles away. - depends. I'm from Killarney so I pop next door.
    You're one of the lucky ones.
    limited social skills due living in a small town with other boggers- actually the oppisate. Better social network and community spirit. Unless- "come here and I'll ride ya" is your idea of a social contact.
    I have found culchies to be a bit slower, & more naive, than Dublin people. Thats from experience.
    less job opportunities- sadly true, that's why I have to live in Dublin.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Not all the culchies go to Dublin on the 8th, so the Dublin vs the rest of the country debate is pointless.

I grew up just outside Cork city and myself and my sister used to love going into town on the 8th to play 'spot the farmer'. Obviously some people from the country are the same as people from cities, but some of them are just so hilariously obvious.

I don't go into the city on the 8th anymore. I never actually bought anything because I pretty much usually had it all bought by then. We purely went in to laugh at people. And now that's not fun anymore because I'm all growed up.

I can't imagine not living a few minutes from a city. Even worse, I can't imagine not living near a cinema! And I hate country roads because I get travel sick. But of course I will have to live in the back of beyonds because I wont be able to afford a house near a city.

The 8th is great, we always got a day off school even though we didn't need it to go shopping. And this year I get the 10th off teaching for it. (Even though the school I teach in is about 5 minutes from Galway city, so there really is no need for the day off.) Keep it, I say.

poppy cock indeed.

I'd have to agree with the roads thing, oour roads are a joke but that's only because Dublin sucks up all the money "because culchies don't need good roads for they're tractors". Even with all the money in the world they still can't get it right. :rolleyes:
    5 years behind on what's cool,
    Lol, lord above haven't you heard it's hip to be square. :cool:

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    I live in Howth - I prefer the fresh sea air to cow sh*t, but thanks anyway.
    Have you ever actually been outside Dublin? Your probably thinking of slurry which is only spread at certain times of the year.
    I was referring to bowling, karting, karaoke, gyms, concerts, supermarkets, cinemas, etc, etc, etc.
    There's Karaoke every weekend in the pubs around here, it's not like you need a special hall to do it in. Either way Karaoke isn't something to be proud of. There's a gym ten minutes away, Fun loving criminals have played no more than 15 minutes away from me on more than one occasion the best thing is you've a good chance of running into the artist due to the small crowds.
    Air Araan doesn't count. I'm referring to non propellar flights. Besides Shannon (which is only still in business because of the government), all boggers must drive to Dublin or Belfast to go on Holidays.
    Even Knock airport has at least 3 airlines as far as I know, flying to the UK and Spain, Galway is the same as are all the rest I always assumed flying to different countries made an airport international, maybe I'm wrong. :confused:
    So boggers have the equivalent of Dublin Bus: i.e. lots of routes & frequency?
    Yes we just call it the bus though we don't need constant reminders of where we live.
    I have found culchies to be a bit slower, & more naive, than Dublin people. Thats from experience.
    :rolleyes: Dubliners don't usually cop that they're having the absolute piss ripped out of them whenever they come down the country they're so far up there own arse's. You'd believe all sorts of ****e it's unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

You can fly to the states from knock airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Poppy cork...that is one of the most narrow minded attitudes i have ever heard...you sound like an absolute knob.
    i mean WTF are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yes we just call it the bus though we don't need constant reminders of where we live.

So ye just have one bus and therefore call it 'the bus'. Fair enough.

We have a whole network of buses which we call 'Dublin Bus.' We call it Dublin Bus to distinguish it from other bus systems such as Bus Eireann, the AirCoach etc. and also from other transport routes such as the DART and the LUAS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement