Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Culchies day out

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Yeah, we generally call those ones the Aircoach, or Bus Eireann. And it's pretty bad to be getting a tram or a train mixed up with a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

cance wrote: »
    i see your objection, and raise you this. 90% of us inside of the pale dont give a shíte. :D

The Pale: lot to be said for it, corralled all ye 'urban sophisticates' inside while the rest of us breathed a sigh of relief.

I have lived in London, Chicago, Melbourne, etc, I wouldn't live in or near Dublin if you doubled my salary, It's a dirty, traffic choked, violent city with pretensions of grandeur which is laughable when you compare it with the likes of Prague or Copenhagen,

Which makes the air of superiority that Dubliners affect,all the more bewildering. I'll let you into a little secret, us culchies are quite content to let you have it.

Off you go now and snigger into your overpriced pints, I have to go and drive the pigs out of the potato patch again.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Poppy Cock wrote: »

I have found culchies to be a bit slower, & more naive, than Dublin people. Thats from experience.

Agreed.

My god, I've never heard such sh!te in my life. Any of the farmers that I know who go to Dublin on the 8th would probably be able to teach the CEO of a multinational a thing or two about being good at business. There's a reason why most of them will have a wad of cash that would choke a fcuking horse. They are not slow. They just don't talk sh!te all the time about how close the local gym / karoke / kart centre / supermarket is. Talking crap doesn't make you look clever or sophisticated.

I think you're watching too much Killnaskully...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I have lived in London, Chicago, Melbourne, etc, I wouldn't live in or near Dublin if you doubled my salary, It's a dirty, traffic choked, violent city with pretensions of grandeur which is laughable when you compare it with the likes of Prague or Copenhagen

But none of them have Dubliners there, you see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Please stop feeding the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Dublin should be annexed as it is such a drain on the rest of the country .Let them Dubs fend for themselves .Up the Culchies ,the Dubs taking our money and not a bit grateful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

5starpool wrote: »
    So 70% of the population live in Galway and Cork then?
    *breaks out his Kilkenny jersey and kicks 5starpool in the shin*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

azezil wrote: »

*breaks out his Wexford jersey and throws Azezil down the stairs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Dublin should be annexed as it is such a drain on the rest of the country .Let them Dubs fend for themselves .Up the Culchies ,the Dubs taking our money and not a bit grateful

Yeah cos Dublin produces nothing! (sarc).

The rest of the bloody country is a drain. Maintaining roads to nowhere and so forth. The farmers don't even produce anything anymore, all they do is swallow up grants.

• Advertisement

(Even though the school I teach in is about 5 minutes from Galway city, so there really is no need for the day off.) Keep it, I say.

Obviously not an English teacher, or there really is no need for the day off.

Should be: "Even though the school in which i teach.....etc."

:D:D:D

The ironing is delicious.

Anyway, enough of the playground mentality......we've better infrastructure, the country is cheaper, we've higher crime, they've no facilities, we've Brendan O'Carroll, They've Brendan O'Connor etc.

Everywhere has its +'s and -'s. GET THE F~CK OVER IT.

Edit: Working in McDonalds one Dec. 8th years ago and a big, grumpy plough-jockey comes in with approx. 16 kids in tow, all with a rake of Guiney's, Arnott's and Boyers' bags in hand.

Says he...."Right, sausage beans & chips 4 times, egg + chips 4 times, and..........do ya do puddin'?"

Says I....."erm........."

Yeah cos Dublin produces nothing! (sarc).

The rest of the bloody country is a drain. Maintaining roads to nowhere and so forth. The farmers don't even produce anything anymore, all they do is swallow up grants.

Wrong there . still produces too many Dubs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Wrong there . still produces too many Dubs .

:confused: Farmers produce too many Dubs?

The highlight of the year would be hopping on the train in Portarlington (now part of Dublin 15) and heading up to the big shmoke on the 8th. It was a day off school, you'd be out wit de lads, and it probably followed this format -

Not understanding what the hawkers were saying - "Tew Tombledrones per a pound love"???

Buying truckloads of Toblerones. Being delighted with what Toblerones actually turned out to be.

Tryin to shneak into a few pubs for a shnakey pint.

Going into a Champion Sports for the first time. Marvelling at the air found in the soles of selected runners.

Having a Burger King.

Checkin out the Dublin chicks.

Heading home, content.

Ah sure twas a grand day out all in all.

You would think with all the money the Culchies gave the Dubs over the years that the money would have been put to good use .Not a bit of it, sure the place is still a kip.Culchie day is probably the only day the Dubs see their more talented fellow Irish and look on in envy and hope to be as sophisticated as the Culchies one day....... ah sure we give them a few bob out of kindness for the less well off .One day the Dubs may catch up .

You would think with all the money the Culchies gave the Dubs over the years that the money would have been put to good use .Not a bit of it, sure the place is still a kip.Culchie day is probably the only day the Dubs see their more talented fellow Irish and look on in envy and hope to be as sophisticated as the Culchies one day....... ah sure we give them a few bob out of kindness for the less well off .One day the Dubs may catch up .

Tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

connundrum wrote: »
    Tbh
    Well, that was totally unfunny, and unoriginal. And you even used "tbh" in the wrong context. So allround, a disaster of a post.

• Advertisement

connundrum wrote: »
    Tbh

Speechless ,I know its hard for the Dubs to accept but somebody had to tell them.Dublin is really only a small place with not a lot going on .Dubs need to venture out of the pale into the real Ireland and bring your ID and some money.Perhaps we can have love a Dub day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Lol at the dubs thinking the country is so much worse off than them. Keep up the narrow mindedness I'm in stitches because it's so far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

my mam and my elderly neighbour used to take all the kids on my road into town on the 8th. Once me and mam were in on the 8th and she seen 2 people she knew from monaghan where she grew up, on o'connell street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

azezil wrote: »

Leinster Rugby team ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

zuutroy wrote: »
    I knew what this thread was about the second I read the title. I remember it years ago when I was young. All the country kids being afraid of the escalators.

:D:D ahh the good memories come flooding back..almost killed myself first time on an escalator.......sweet jesus i was 18 going to college in Dublin and in a group who are likely to be laughing about it yet......18 ffs and never on a escalator...almost ran at it.......lol hold the fkn rail!!! hated them since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

themadchef wrote: »
    :D:D ahh the good memories come flooding back..almost killed myself first time on an escalator.......sweet jesus i was 18 going to college in Dublin and in a group who are likely to be laughing about it yet......18 ffs and never on a escalator...almost ran at it.......lol hold the fkn rail!!! hated them since

I don't believe you.....you are, of course, joking, right? (Please say you are joking!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

The 8th?? Is Dublin really the big smoke?? I beleive Irish people have moved on fro that way of thinking. Most of us have been to either London or New York or even Sydney. I have heard Dublin referred to as a big fishing village in England a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

lol i wish i was, not an escalator to be had in Mayo.......and no culchie day out for me im afraid. Wont sleep tonight form nightmares now lol

lol i wish i was, not an escalator to be had in Mayo.......and no culchie day out for me im afraid. Wont sleep tonight form nightmares now lol

No, seriously, you're actually not joking? I'm not trying to be funny here! I suppose I've never really experienced rural life. (Where I live in Cork is certainly not rural! Dublin is not the only city!) I remember years ago hearing that Leitrom (sp??) was after getting its first set of traffic lights.

Ah well, everywhere has its good and bad points. And escalators don't make a place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

stay away from the underground in london is my advice, lots of very high escalators there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Ah yes, the old 1950s charm is still going strong I see. When you connect to the power grid and stop rubbing cow dung into your guernseys than we can talk.

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    Well, that was totally unfunny, and unoriginal. And you even used "tbh" in the wrong context. So allround, a disaster of a post.

'Oh fcuk, someone on the internet doesn't like me'

/Kills self due to crushing sense of failure.

Culchie Day is a good day out, in as much as Dubs enjoy heading down to Galway/Kilkenny for the annual lads/ladies piss up weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hup ya boy ya! Day trip to Bus Aras! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Brrrr...Dublin. Lived there for a year and when I came home, I sat in a shower for a whole day, scrubbing vigorously, trying to wash that city right on out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's a great way to pass the time on the 8th
    I get the day off school so I head in and mock them for a while

and you can pick them out straight away, their clothes are from 1987-94 and they gasp at the price of a t shirt anywhere outside Penneys

"foive pounds? Jaysus, you could get a month's worth of food back in Ballybackwater for that. Shure I must ring Pat and tell him, whares me change purse for the payphone?"

and they take about 15 minutes to use an ATM and pay for things

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    it's a great way to pass the time on the 8th
    I get the day off school so I head in and mock them for a while

and you can pick them out straight away, their clothes are from 1987-94 and they gasp at the price of a t shirt anywhere outside Penneys

"foive pounds? Jaysus, you could get a month's worth of food back in Ballybackwater for that. Shure I must ring Pat and tell him, whares me change purse for the payphone?"

and they take about 15 minutes to use an ATM and pay for things

It pains me to say this, but these people do exist. (There are very few of them but they do exist.) There's nothing wrong with it. (Although maybe the above quote is a bit of an exaggeration!) Anyway, some people are content with a very rural life, so it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It pains me to say this, but these people do exist. (There are very few of them but they do exist.) There's nothing wrong with it. (Although maybe the above quote is a bit of an exaggeration!) Anyway, some people are content with a very rural life, so it's all good.

it's a great laugh seeing their amazement when they see the luas as well

they all look so innocent or something

phasers wrote: »
    it's a great laugh seeing their amazement when they see the luas as well

they all look so innocent or something

Tee hee. The Luas doesn't amaze them, does it?

Advertisement