Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best dit library

Options
  • 16-11-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

got a dit card so can use any dit library but just wondered which is the best one to get the head down in books. the one i use at the moment is nosier than the college canteen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Aungier Street library is kept quiet by brute force.

Mountjoy Square library is even quieter, mainly because very few people hang around there.

Bolton Street is very busy, from 9 in the morning to 9 in the evening. It's also relatively loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dependant on your course for example, kevin street has the best computer science books whereas bolton street would have next to none.

aungier st is too formal, you have to swipe your card just to get in, aungier st building as a whole feels too much like a hospital/airport to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote: »
    aungier st is too formal, you have to swipe your card just to get in, aungier st building as a whole feels too much like a hospital/airport to me.

You have it in a nutshell.
    I venture over there sometimes, but leaving the comfortable abode of Kevin street to the hospital like environment of Aungier street is not a pleasant venture, coupled with the fact I don't know anyone there:D

Also, Why the hell is the students lounge below Java city so damn messy?
    The Snackery is always much cleaner:)

yeh but you feel like you should be walking around the snackery in a towel, the place is like a fecking sauna, it was never that bad until they turned it into a macdonald's lookalike with all the red and yellow paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

yeh but you feel like you should be walking around the snackery in a towel, the place is like a fecking sauna, it was never that bad until they turned it into a macdonald's lookalike with all the red and yellow paint.

What did the place look like before just out of curiosity?
    The deco is a bit plain, but functional at the same time.
    If only the pool tables weren't always occupied:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

I was talking about that on another thread here, if we get enough people to email the union they may be able to do something about it.

The downstairs in aungier street is unbelievably messy. Better atmosphere overall in aungier street though, its like a big abercrombie and fitch superstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

strychnine wrote: »
    I was talking about that on another thread here, if we get enough people to email the union they may be able to do something about it.

The downstairs in aungier street is unbelievably messy. Better atmosphere overall in aungier street though, its like a big abercrombie and fitch superstore.

We're already on the case about the snackery. Problem is there's not much that can be done. The building is so old that any significant changes that might help (e.g. replacing the windows with ones that can open) would mean having to bring the whole building up to code which will bankrupt the entire state. Sean's on the case though so hopefully we'll get something sorted soon.

As for Aungier being messier than the snackery that's pretty much because they don't have a John. Count how many times he wanders the snackery cleaning up in the run up to and aftermath of lunchtime and you'll be amazed. The man's a legend.

Why is it that I only post on boards this late when I'm ill?

you're right martin, John is a legend. the amount of **** he puts up with yet still can have a laugh with you is unreal.

John for president :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Dunners wrote: »
    We're already on the case about the snackery. Problem is there's not much that can be done. The building is so old that any significant changes that might help (e.g. replacing the windows with ones that can open) would mean having to bring the whole building up to code which will bankrupt the entire state. Sean's on the case though so hopefully we'll get something sorted soon.

As for Aungier being messier than the snackery that's pretty much because they don't have a John. Count how many times he wanders the snackery cleaning up in the run up to and aftermath of lunchtime and you'll be amazed. The man's a legend.

Why is it that I only post on boards this late when I'm ill?

Cheers for the reply. What exactly is the problem? Like where exactly does all the heat come from? Maybe this is too obvious but can the heat source not just be turned off or at least down? Also, surely theres a financial incentive to reducing the energy costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

i actually felt cold air in the snackery today for the first time in 3 years. Dunno where the hell it came from but i like it :D

As for the library situation, depends what you want and what books are around.

• Advertisement

it has to come from the heat of the kitchens, also the smell of fish on a wednesday is apauling :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andrewjdoyle

We installed three thermometers last week, and they turned the head down straight away. I'm only there a few times a week, but it seems to be working.

The temperature is being recorded three times a day so if it returns to its previous state at least they can't just come back and say 'it's grand'. It was 25 degrees when we first put them up. It's now usually down to about 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

We installed three thermometers last week, and they turned the head down straight away. I'm only there a few times a week, but it seems to be working.

The temperature is being recorded three times a day so if it returns to its previous state at least they can't just come back and say 'it's grand'. It was 25 degrees when we first put them up. It's now usually down to about 20.

Good job sir, good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Good_Crow

bolton street is much too noisy. i prefer kevin street as I can usually find a quite spot somewhere down the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andrewjdoyle

Good job sir, good job.

Nope. Nevermind. They've turned it up again. Who's up for making a bit of noise about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭prod_igy

its impossible to study in bolton st., its always very busy and it doesnt help that the computers are right beside the study area......although the quiet area (isnt the whole library supposed to be quiet!?) down the back is a good place to study, but does usually be full.

Aungiers st. is a pretty good place to study, its quiet most of the time.

Moutjoys library is almost always empty (compared to the other faculties) so it does also be fairly quiet aswell.

Does anyone else find the librarians in bolton st to be more of an annoyance when they start shouting at people talking etc than the people actaully talking. im reffering to that crazy white haired old woman, and the skinny old man.....but moreso the crazy white haired woman?!

Advertisement