Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resellers

Options
  • 16-11-2007 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

HI just moved from USA, to Ireland. I know i am only new but have been told this is the palce to get honests opions on who to host solutions with.

I have 5 sites would like to move over onto a dedicated server, and also looking for domain reseller's in Ireland.

Can anyone give me some indication on whom to start to look at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075688

Most hosting companies in Ireland will also supply you a domain name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

There's a relatively small choice for dedicated servers in Ireland, so it wont be hard to shop around, and there's only one Domain Registrar in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The States

Who is the only domain register here in Ireland then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The States wrote: »
    Who is the only domain register here in Ireland then?
    Who do you think? It's not as if he does subtlety very well ...

No i dont know who, here to egt advice, i thought thats what this site was for, but looking over old posts, l see you two always act like children in here, so no use taking advice from you both

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hey States,

Sorry if my post was a bit obtuse - www.register365.com are the only ICANN Accredited Registrar in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭WaterfordOnline

Hi States,

Being an Irish Based hosting provider myself, I find purchasing Irish-based servers to be rediculously expensive. I use US Based servers and being honest, they are just as fast and reliable as any server you will find in Ireland. This is no bearing on Hosting365 by the way. They are a reputable company.
    But my advice to you is to buy US - Based services. It will save you a good 50% of what you will pay for Irish-based services.

Danno

But my advice to you is to buy US - Based services. It will save you a good 50% of what you will pay for Irish-based services.

That might have been true a few years ago, but unless you're looking at entry level servers the difference between US and EU pricing is much narrower

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi States,

Being an Irish Based hosting provider myself, I find purchasing Irish-based servers to be rediculously expensive. I use US Based servers and being honest, they are just as fast and reliable as any server you will find in Ireland. This is no bearing on Hosting365 by the way. They are a reputable company.

Danno

If you have a site with a .ie domain registered to an IP in the States, will this affect Google rankings?

Also, how do you find the support with US based hosting companies?

I have no doubt you are correct bud.
    But, when I was starting with dedicated servers (providing) last year, I shopped around Irish companies for them and then compared them with the company I now get them from and there is a very large margin.

Irish-based Dual Core Celeron - No Control Panel - Average: €80 per month
    US-Based Dual Core Celeron - cPanel with WHM and Fantastico - Average in USD: $80 Per Month. This allowed me to sell that server at an average of €80 including the cPanel/WHM and Fantastico Licences.

Also, domains, excluding .ie domains of course, In Ireland I was being charged an average of €10 per year for a .com whereas, I am picking them up for less than $7 per year so, again, allowing me to sell them on for €8.99 per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

The States wrote: »
    HI just moved from USA, to Ireland. I know i am only new but have been told this is the palce to get honests opions on who to host solutions with.

I have 5 sites would like to move over onto a dedicated server, and also looking for domain reseller's in Ireland.

Can anyone give me some indication on whom to start to look at?
    The top three Irish hosting providers are:

Hosting365.ie
    Blacknightsolutions.com
    Novara.ie

Regards...jmcc

eoin_s wrote: »
    If you have a site with a .ie domain registered to an IP in the States, will this affect Google rankings?

Also, how do you find the support with US based hosting companies?

I am unsure how the .ie domains would work with Google rankings on non-irish servers.

The support with the company I am with is 24/7 unbroken since I went with them about a year ago.
    That's another issue I had with Irish-based services, again no offense to any company here in Ireland, but none of them could provide me with 24/7 support.

Irish-based Dual Core Celeron - No Control Panel - Average: €80 per month
    US-Based Dual Core Celeron - cPanel with WHM and Fantastico - Average in USD: $80 Per Month. This allowed me to sell that server at an average of €80 including the cPanel/WHM and Fantastico Licences.
    A Dual Core Celeron? Are you sure that you don't mean a Core Duo (a rather different processor)?

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    A Dual Core Celeron? Are you sure that you don't mean a Core Duo (a rather different processor)?

Regards...jmcc

What's the difference between Dual Core and Core Duo? I think you will find there is none. ;) It's just how I say it and it was just an example.

What's the difference between Dual Core and Core Duo?
    AMD. Though I think that one is based on the Pentium M architecture and the other on Pentium D. But I haven't looked at it in much depth. For the average user, on shared hosting, it will be irrelevant.

Regards...jmcc

That's another issue I had with Irish-based services, again no offense to any company here in Ireland, but none of them could provide me with 24/7 support.
    If you are willing to pay for proper servers you will get 24/7 support

An 80 euro or 80 dollar server isn't a proper server. It's cheap and nasty.

It's the kind of server I'd use to shove a couple of unimportant websites on, but I definitely wouldn't put any client sites on there.

How much redundancy are you getting at that price?

RAID what?

Thanks everyone for your replies. l have contacted the top 3 providers,

Hosting 365, cheaper than everyone else, and 24/7 support

Blacknight about the same a little more expensive but when spoke to their staff they really knew what they were talking about

Novara, user there text chat for sales, dont think who i spoke to knew anything at all, and they dont even have a back up/disaster recovery site for their servers, there responce is " they dont need one, as they are the most reliable"

Thanks for all your replies, especially jmcc,

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

What's the difference between Dual Core and Core Duo? I think you will find there is none. ;) It's just how I say it and it was just an example.
    A dual core is a machine with two seperate processor slots on one motherboard, a core duo is two microprocessors on one chip. Being physically much closer together than a "dual core" machine allows much faster processing, as well as sharing of the FSB and L2 cache.

Overall it means a cheaper and much faster system.

I wouldn't take a dual core celeron server if it was handed to me free. That's the difference.

It's worth adding that of the three you contacted hosting365 are the only ones with their own datacentre facility.

On the domain pricing deise - 'real' servers do cost a little bit more than 80 euro, altho domains are as little as 5.95 euro these days (retail).

I love how you say "Real" servers.
    I am using US based servers since 2003 and very rarely had issues.
    I posted here to give advice to a bloke and my services, which I have never had one single complaint about, is being made out to be cheap and nasty. Very professional of you to knock other host providers down.

• Advertisement

I put 'real' in inverted commas as core 2 duo processors, ata drives, etc, are not considered 'server grade' in enterprise terms. (they are rather desktop machines being sold as 'servers' - typically not even rackmount, and with single power supplies, single hard drives, etc). It certainly wasn't intended as any kind of 'knock' - I think Michele's post about raid, etc, was even more of a put down if you ask me.

I put 'real' in inverted commas as core 2 duo processors, ata drives, etc, are not considered 'server grade' in enterprise terms. (they are rather desktop machines being sold as 'servers' - typically not even rackmount, and with single power supplies, single hard drives, etc). It certainly wasn't intended as any kind of 'knock' - I think Michele's post about raid, etc, was even more of a put down if you ask me.

Ok my apologies.

But, all I am saying is, I am more than happy with the servers I am using and am getting great value, uptime, quality and speed for the price. I said the 80 dollar/80 euro as examples also. I am actually paying over 200 euro per month for each server.

Hey, don't get me wrong either, the large US hosts do an exceptional job at a great price - but of course both service and hardware can be provided closer to home at similar prices. If you are paying over 200 euro per month for a server, we can provide you with a 'real' server with a pair of Dual Core Xeon Processors, 2GB of ECC RAM and 100GB of Fiber Channel Attached 15krpm FC Disks with 100% uptime SLA's and 24/7 support.

The US is no longer the 'holy grail' of hosting services.

Hey, don't get me wrong either, the large US hosts do an exceptional job at a great price - but of course both service and hardware can be provided closer to home at similar prices. If you are paying over 200 euro per month for a server, we can provide you with a 'real' server with a pair of Dual Core Xeon Processors, 2GB of ECC RAM and 100GB of Fiber Channel Attached 15krpm FC Disks with 100% uptime SLA's and 24/7 support.

The US is no longer the 'holy grail' of hosting services.

Ok, here is what I have:

• Dual AMD Opteron 270 (2 CPUs)
    • 2 GB DDR RAM
    • 250GB Hard Drive
    • 2,500 GB Premium Bandwidth
    • 100 mbps Connection
    • 5 IP addresses
    • Remote Reboot

With that, and included in the price for each server:
    cPanel/WHM
    Fantastico De Luxe
    HyperVM on 1 of the boxes to provide Virtual Private Servers.

Well, not knowing what you are paying for that, to give you a like for like (ish) comparison on spec.

- Dual Intel Xeon 5140 (2x Physical Dual Core (4 cores)
    - 4MB Cache per Core
    - 1333Mhz FSB
    - 2048MB DDR ECC Fully Buffered RAM
    - 100GB Fiber Channel SAN Storage (boot from SAN)
    - 2x 4GBPS SAN Uplinks
    - 2x 1GBPS Internet Uplinks
    - Unlimited Free IP Addresses (with justification)
    - Included VPN Management
    - Remote Reboot
    - Included Firewalling

100% Power, Network SLA's
    24/7/365 Support by Phone, Live Chat, Email, Ticket with escalation paths
    1 Hour Hardware repair / replacement SLA (back online within 1 hour).

In addition, this machine is a HP BL460C Enterprise Grade Blade Server.

This, with Cpanel, etc, would cost you €249.95 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Stephen that sounds really good.

Can you answer a few questions for me please?
    1. What is the contention on the SAN connectivity per blade chassis?
    2. What sort of contention can be expected from the blade chassis to your core network?
    3. Does each chassis have full GigE to your network?
    4. I believe you have 2 x 100meg INEX connections, is it possible that 1 customer could flood these connections and affect your other customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

1800 365 965, tbh.

We're done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement