Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

Options
  • 16-11-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭

mitch hedberg is one of the biggest legends in the comedy scene, another one who sadly left us WAY before his time! alot of people dont know who he is however so i thaught he deserves his own thread:

and heres some more:

RIP MITCH 1968-2005

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Now there is someone we agree on. Mitch is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

For introducing me to Mitch, and that alone, I can forgive Ed Byrne pretty much anything. When I saw him on Just for Laughs I was completely blown away. Every line was a classic. Completely unique way of thinking and great delivery style.

The day after he died and entirely co-incidentally I decided to Google him to see if I could find out more about him. I was shocked at first and then I thought, no wait, this is an April's Fool gag, then realisation dawned again and I went back into shock.

Strategic Barbecue Locations and Mitch All Together are the only comedy CDs I own. Have yet to watch the latter actually as it won't play on my DVD player.

RIP man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ah man what a comic. I discovered him while heavily under the influence of erm...things.. (like Mitch himself) and have loved him ever since. amazing delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Strategic Barbecue Locations

i dont wanna sound like a preachy ignorant bastard, but im going to: you mean "strategic grill locations"
    :D

more people need to know who mitch is (i will never use the word "was" in that sentence) spread the word people!

You preachy, ignorant bastard!

There's a very good article on Mitch here: http://slate.com/id/2118223/. Also a link to a review of one of his last performances. Don't click on that unless you want to feel really depressed.

• Advertisement

You preachy, ignorant bastard!.

:D:D sorry

Don't click on that unless you want to feel really depressed.

i bet you never thaught you could warn someone they may get depressed if they watch mitch!

"Rice is great for when you are hungry and you want two thousand of something!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Love that guy. I bet somewhere in heaven, himself, Richard Prior and Bill Hicks are putting on the greatest comedy show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

"Rice is great for when you are hungry and you want two thousand of something!!"

I've seen Demitri Martin do that joke a number of times.

stu_69 wrote: »
    I've seen Demitri Martin do that joke a number of times.

yeah demitri unfortunatley has been very.....shall we say...."liberal" with the late great mitch's material! ****it, he stole some of his jokes, like the rice one, and this one:

i'm going to create a jigsaw thats 40,000 pieces and when you finish it is says "go outside" :D

(i hate when comedians steal jokes!!!!)

Wow, didn't know that. That sucks! Stealing jokes from a dead guy. Demetri just plummeted in my estimation.

• Advertisement

Wow, didn't know that. That sucks! Stealing jokes from a dead guy. Demetri just plummeted in my estimation.

yep he also stole:

i was approached by a shopping assistant and she asked me my size, i said "actual"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

i dont wanna sound like a preachy ignorant bastard, but im going to: you mean "strategic grill locations"
    You weren't being a "preachy ignorant bastard" you were being pedantic.....oh wait....

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You weren't being a "preachy ignorant bastard" you were being pedantic.....oh wait....

preachy ignorant bastard....pedantic.....****er....prick whatever you wanna call me doesnt take away form the fact that mitch hedberg is one of, if not THE greatest comedian of all time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

lets not get things personal.

Mitch is a legend. I have a recording on my MP3 that he did for a comedy cd that was never released because he was so wasted. Its one of the best I've heard.

Some of my favs:

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

Every book is a children's book if the kid can read! (also stolen by Demitri)

I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling. I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.

I once saw a forklift lift a crate of forks. And it was way to literal for me. (typical Mitch)

All have to be delivered in the typical Mitch way.

I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down.

The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall.

I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.

I wrote a script, and I gave it to a guy who reads scripts, and he read it, and he liked it, but he said he thinks I ought to re-write it. I said, "**** that - I'll just make a copy

and one of my personal favourites:

I'm a Heroin addict, I need to have sex with women who save peoples lives

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I was sad to add Mitch to my "Why are all the good comedians dead?" list along side Bill Hicks.

Acid is crazy man! When I was on acid I would see beams of lights, and I'd also hear things that sounded alot like car horns.

Pure genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

I saw Mitch Hedburg at Kilkenny festival a few years ago, he was top class.
    He kept asking if anyone in the audience knew where he could get drugs in Kilkenny though...

deise-lady wrote: »
    I saw Mitch Hedburg at Kilkenny festival a few years ago, he was top class....

i am so jealous! the man is (again, i dont say "was" in reference to mitch) an absolute genius! he had obviously beatin his stage fright by that point yeah? he used to be petrified as he went on stage so he would do gigs lying down facing the ceiling or with his back to the audience......legend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If youre a Hedberg fan, this video will upset you :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Archimedes wrote: »

If youre a Hedberg fan, this video will upset you :(
    I bleedin hate those tragic montages.

I watched Hedberg's Comedy Central Special in full last night, up until then I had just seen clips of it on Youtube. It was a really odd special, the crowd really didn't get any of his jokes and as a result he got quite nervous. Pulled it back at the end though but he did admit that he was just using his old material.

Don't think he realised that most comedians just use their Specials to showcase their best tried and tested material. Fairplay to him for trying to use new material I suppose.

that video has me close to tears!! brilliant video for a brilliant man! but its threads like this that keep mitch alive!! without mitch no one would have compared smokey the bear to smackie the frog!!

I wanna edit Archimedes post and remove that vid! It'll always be a big regret of mine that I've never seen Mitch live :(

Sorry but the only reason to cry at that video is because it ruins a bunch of Mitch's jokes by playing that awful country song over them.

yeah the country music wrecks it but its a fitting tribute to a great man, this is a bit of a downer so:

i tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.

This one guy said, "Look at that girl. She's got a nice butt." I said, "Yeah, I bet she can sit down excellently!"

If Spiderman was real, and I was a criminal, and he shot me with his web, I would say, "Dude, thanks for the hammock."

If a drink was ice cold, it would be impossible to drink. Because it would be solid. Here's a drink, Mitch - it's ice cold. I guess I could lick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tempelton

Mitch Hedberg was just one of those double-take comedians that you encounter so rarely - you hear his act and you just can't turn away. I caught a few clips of him (he was reaching for a lime) on TV about a year ago and I did a double take - hence my wonderful "double take" reference - in which I instantly realised, oh, here's one of the *real* guys.

He was one of those comedians who actually is funny but who also has that strange charisma that makes them seem magnetic - star quality, if I may be so Cowell-esque. I didn't know his name but I Googled a few lines from his act and hey presto, the first f**king thing I found out was that he is dead.

****. It's just not right.

Anyway, I have been enjoying his albums since then. Another dead hero to chalk up on the board (whilst Ed Byrne continues to tour the world).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Altar_Ego_Boy

"I thought my teeth were white until i washed my face with noxema....they are off white"

"Im staying at a hotel right now. Theres no 13th floor because of superstition but people on the 14th floor...you know what floor youre really on"

"Im staying at a hotel right now. Theres no 13th floor because of superstition but people on the 14th floor...you know what floor youre really on"

they say the number 13 is bad luck, then so should the letter B be, because a B looks like a scrunched together 13....
    -whats your name?
    -Bob.
    -Get the hell away

"I thought my teeth were white until i washed my face with noxema....they are off white"

You jump off the roof, you will die EARLIER!

• Advertisement

this year the late great mitch, has been included in comedy centrals, stand up comedy showdown, at the moment he is ninth, but i know we can get him up to first before the 27th of january! come on folks, vote mitch and put him were he belongs, at the top of the comedy ladder:

http://www.comedycentral.com/events/susd/index.jhtml

(tell all your friends to do the same)

Advertisement