Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phobias...

• 16-11-2007 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

I was just talking to someone about her fear of trucks,I thought it was very weird but after looking up the net found that there are a few other people out there afraid of them!
    SO whats everyones biggest fear?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Panphobia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

panphobia
    nice

arachnephobia!

gatophobia.they freak me out!! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Arithmophobia :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Not mine but...

googlephobia is suffered by a lot too many AH thread starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Logizomechanophobia

AAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Acrophobia, get all panicky thinking about em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

ghosts, well evil ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I have a friend who's got serious phobias about sponges (not the edible kind) and velvet. She'll actually be sick.
    We both don't like spiders.

I don't like lakes/deep water, fear of falling and I have a new fear of ants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

Archeron wrote: »
    Logizomechanophobia

I think that's just about the best word I've ever seen!!! Am glad I don't have it tho.

I knew a girl with a severe, severe fear of sponges. It was quite funny really.. but very odd.. and most definitely genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I don't obsess over this fear and it doesn't affect my life or anything but.....if a great big hairy rotten white moth (or any colour) flies into a room I'm in or anywhere near me, my heart races, I lose my breath, I sometimes scream (I'm not usually a screamer ;) ) and I have to leave the room straght away - doesn't matter where I am or who's company I'm in, they freak the sh*t out of me :(

Is that a phobia?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Im not sure if it would be classed as a phobia since I'm not actually afraid of it but it makes me physically sick when someone rubs their palms along the dash in a car... or rubs their palms off my palms!!:o

Was she actually afraid of sponges??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    I don't obsess over this fear and it doesn't affect my life or anything but.....if a great big hairy rotten white moth (or any colour) flies into a room I'm in or anywhere near me, my heart races, I lose my breath, I sometimes scream (I'm not usually a screamer ;) ) and I have to leave the room straght away - doesn't matter where I am or who's company I'm in, they freak the sh*t out of me :(

Is that a phobia?!

+ 1 :eek::eek:

I got "attacked" by one before.. it kept flying at me! My brother pretends to be a moth sometimes to freak me out runs after me flapping his hands saying "flutter flutter flutter" (It's supposed to be the noise a moth makes!!) Oh and he's 28! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I have one that stems from when I was child, Its called..............

Yoremaphobia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

As kid I was terrified of cranes and nearly ran under a car one time when I spotted one. Was phobic about flying for years but got over it when I got sick of hearing people talk about their great holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wet tea bags. I cannot be near them. The sight of them, the smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm boring. I'm just scared of animals. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, hamsters, etc. BIRDS!! Oh God, birds. Especially pigeons.

I can kind of understand that sponge thing, but I'm not scared of them!

I know someone with a fear of feet. Bloody strange. How does she put on socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

onechewy wrote: »
    I think that's just about the best word I've ever seen!!! Am glad I don't have it tho.

I knew a girl with a severe, severe fear of sponges. It was quite funny really.. but very odd.. and most definitely genuine.

How could anyone be afraid of a sponge??? I love an ol' chew on a sponge (weird pregnancy craving alert), they're bloody great.

I'm terrified of Spiders, and odd numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Ergasiophobia

That's why I'm posting on boards all day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mayte

Spiders.
    One night, it was very late, like 2 or 3 in the morning, we were sleeping. Then, in the still of the night a scream woke up my boyfriend taking him almost to heart failure (yes, I speak aloud in dreams). All he could understand was: "it's a tarantula!!! A tarantulaaa!!!"

• Advertisement

-Leelo- wrote: »
    How could anyone be afraid of a sponge??? I love an ol' chew on a sponge (weird pregnancy craving alert), they're bloody great.

Oh no, I love chewing on sponges! Especially when they're wet. (Insert sexual innuendo here) And now I'm told it's a pregnancy craving. So basically I'm just strange, cos I'm not pregnant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The sponge chewing is quite common i believe ....

How could anyone be afraid of a sponge???

The same could be said for every phobia.

How could anyone be afraid of a sponge???

I think it's more the texture/feel/look of them, my friend really can't stand them - I know she'll nearly vomit if you come too close with velvet, not sure about sponges.
    And the noise of cotton wool - she hates it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

^^cotton wool makes noise?!!

A girl who I lived with in 1st was afraid of/couldn't touch the stickers that can be on fruits sometimes eg:apples
    I always had to take them off for her..so funny!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

latchyco wrote: »
    The sponge chewing is quite common i believe ....

I've looked it up and apparently its one of the rarest forms of Pica. Makes me feel special:p

Another thing Im quite frightened of is Turkeys, they're just freaky and ugly and look much better on my plate on Christmas Day.

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    ^^cotton wool makes noise?!!

you know when you pull it apart? the squeak? that noise.
    I cant stand the feel of certain materials... and I hate the noise of someone scratching jean material r other manmade fabrics that aren't soft like cotton (if you get me). Even the thoughts of it now... aHHHH..

I've looked it up and apparently its one of the rarest forms of Pica. Makes me feel special:p
    I do recall a female friend chewing on a sponge whle pregnant ,it was a craving she had ,and i also know sombody who liked to chew on coal .......yea coal .
    Not sure what my phobia is ,but i am sure i have one somwere lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Only thing I'm afraid of is heights. The gf on the other hand is terrified of whales. Orcaphobia or something I think it's called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Sociophobia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety

be comforted that i hate you all equally :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

chalk.

Jumpy wrote: »
    chalk.

Thank God for whiteboards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Thank God for whiteboards!

squeaky markers :(

cance wrote: »
    squeaky markers :(

What? Markers squeak? I might just stay in bed from now on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I have a really bad fear of tomatoes. I can't touch them or have them in anyway touch my food. I have to get my bf to remove them from my plate. Often, you get them in sandwiches in cafes when it makes no mention of the sanwich having tomatoe on it on the menu. it drives me mad, i just send it back and say I'm allergic to them. It's only raw tomatoes, I have no problem with tomato sauce/ ketcup. sun dried tomatoes etc.

It's the little evil seeds that get everywhere that freak me out the most! /shudders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Wet tea bags. I cannot be near them. The sight of them, the smell.

How do you meake tea then?

Anyway, I'm afraid of heights. Not being in a plane or anything, just "open" heights, that I can fall from.

I can't climb anywhere because of this, anything higher than a street curb and I'm a jibbering mess.

Also, Dogs. Some asshole set a fúcking Doberman on me when I was a wee lad, thing had me pinned down and I can still see it's wet slobbery mouth just over my face whenever I see a dog near me. The absolute wánker that he was.

I hate the feeling of steel cutlery on my teeth too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Scatophobia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Scatophobia
    No shít.

DesF wrote: »
    How do you meake tea then?

I don't drink tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

oh another friend of mine can't stand when people flick their thumb nail off other nails on the same hand..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You're not missing anything.

Tea is fúcking horrible anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not my phobia, but brilliantly named all the same:

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - the fear of long words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

My friend is afraid of tinfoil, can't even touch it, I'm gonna wait till he is drunk one night and passed out and wrap him up in tinfoil so he will freak out when he wakes up

lezizi wrote: »
    My friend is afraid of tinfoil, can't even touch it, I'm gonna wait till he is drunk one night and passed out and wrap him up in tinfoil so he will freak out when he wakes up
    And so might end another good friendship .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Styrofoam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 littlemizz

Podophobia.....by jaysus i hate the feckers!!! cant stand da sight of them they really really freak me out!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Pills and tablets. Even aspirin. I'd rather have an injection than take 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

Myctophobia and arachnophobia :/

really hate those eight-legged monsters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The mother of them all. Agorophobia.
    Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder which primarily consists of the fear of settings that may present unexpected challenges or demands that provoke a panic attack in the agoraphobic. The social consequences of having a panic attack or losing control in public often becomes an additional source of anxiety in its own right, as the sufferer experiences intense fear of these attacks and the subsequent embarrassment in a situation from which they cannot escape. As a result, sufferers of agoraphobia avoid public or unfamiliar places. In severe cases, the sufferer may become confined to their homes, experiencing difficulty traveling from this "safe place."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Terry wrote: »
    The mother of them all. Agorophobia.
    I have a very similar fear to this I suspect it is probably Agorophobia to a degree, Sometimes I find myself in an open space and get the almost overwhelming feeling that I am going to fall upwards or downwards like there is no gravity or substance to anything. I resist the urge to hold on to something like the grass on the ground as it would be like strengthening the fear. Can be quite scary but I face it nonetheless because I have to.
    Public speaking is a bitch as well but I have to do this at times, I think it is definately a control issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement