Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phobias...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

Cows. I hate them, I've cried over them. I live in the country, so I have dealt with them. I really really just can't deal with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I have a very similar fear to this I suspect it is probably Agorophobia to a degree, Sometimes I find myself in an open space and get the almost overwhelming feeling that I am going to fall upwards or downwards like there is no gravity or substance to anything. I resist the urge to hold on to something like the grass on the ground as it would be like strengthening the fear. Can be quite scary but I face it nonetheless because I have to.
    Public speaking is a bitch as well but I have to do this at times, I think it is definately a control issue.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=862

I also hate cotton wool.
    I can't be anywhere near it.
    The texture of it freaks me out.

I don't mind a doctor sticking a needle in my arm to draw blood, but I hate when they use a cotton swab afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Terry wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=862

I also hate cotton wool.
    I can't be anywhere near it.
    The texture of it freaks me out.

I don't mind a doctor sticking a needle in my arm to draw blood, but I hate when they use a cotton swab afterwards.
    I hate flying as a passenger in a plane, but I flew a helicopter and loved it, those birds are incredibly sensitive to the slightest touch, marvelous experience. I love tough interviews, particularly when interviewed by a panel, it is a great stimulating challenge and I always do well, but I lose the plot in a presentation of my own ideas and the fear takes over and I become a bumbling idiot.
    Fear is irrational and a hard thing to control, I guess the key is not control of the fear but something else which I haven't been able to work out yet.

I hate flying as a passenger in a plane, but I flew a helicopter and loved it, those birds are incredibly sensitive to the slightest touch, marvelous experience. I love tough interviews, particularly when interviewed by a panel, it is a great stimulating challenge and I always do well, but I lose the plot in a presentation of my own ideas and the fear takes over and I become a bumbling idiot.
    Fear is irrational and a hard thing to control, I guess the key is not control of the fear but something else which I haven't been able to work out yet.
    The key is not giving a fúck.

It's tough to do and you have to know where to draw the line between not caring and being insulting.
    It's a tough one to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Slugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Not to be unoriginal, but arachnophobia. Evil little bastards - they're out to get me!

Oh, and also, I'm incredibly creeped out by anything to do with eyeballs or things touching eyeballs, and I loathe people who fiddle with their contacts in public - like, sweet Jesus, TAKE YOUR FINGER OUT OF YOUR EYEBALL! Think that one's less a phobia, though, and more me being weird...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Aracnaphobia for me too..hate the little yokes!
    Also have a fear of pain...not nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

Terry wrote: »
    The mother of them all. Agorophobia.

remember that show "game on" about 10 years ago about a guy who couldnt leave his house all day.i think he was agoraphobic.
    it was a deadly show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

spiders and bats

if a spider is sitting quietly in the far corner of the room, as long as he doesn't come near me, i wont bother him

as for bats, even a program on tv about them wil have me shifting on the sofa unconfortably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

LOL, great thread.

Spiders for me too. Just spiders though, I don't really mind most other bugs and creepy-crawlies.

Oh, and jellyfish. But that's cos I was surrounded by a load of Portuguese Man-o-wars when I was about 6 and had to fight me way out to get back to shore and got stung all over...

An old girlfriend had that moth phobia mentioned earlier. She used to go into hysterics at the mere sight of them.

I also have an intense physical reaction to the Deefer accent. Can't breathe, face goes red, and have an overwhelming urge to cut loose with a flamethrower and a chainsaw. True.

coolhandc wrote: »
    remember that show "game on" about 10 years ago about a guy who couldnt leave his house all day.i think he was agoraphobic.
    it was a deadly show
    Yep.
    That's me, except I don't have a surf board. Or a really hot house mate in the guise of Samantha Janus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Claustrophobia... I just freak out.

Also, Daddy-Long-Legs-phobia. They're horrible c*nts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Tarantulas. Never seen one in real life, and I don't want to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Daddy-long legs ruined my life. *flashback to room covered in Daddy-long legs and a 5 year old Ruu cowering in bed* :(
    Styrofoam

*rubs two pieces together* :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Flying. I hate it. Have to knock myself out with a cock tail of drugs just to be able to go to the airport.
    Last flight i did was grand though as the drugs worked fine but sometimes they dont.

I also hate big spiders the black hairy ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Strangest i ever heard was when my friend was in school she was at a disco with her friend one night. one of them had a pen pal from germany that came over to see her in ireland and they brought her with them to the club.
    anyhow she had a sex phobia, couldnt watch it on tv or anything. she just freaked out. so they were leaving the club and she spotted two getting hot and steemy in the back of a bus or car and apparently totally freaked out. major freak out and i dont thnik she recoverd properly while they knew her anyway. cant rmemebr if she had to go home early.
    anyway that was the strangest and oddest phobia i ever heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Rats, mice, bats and moths. Bats are like mice with wings, and moths are just their evil, creepy minions. Never trust anything furry that flies of its own volition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know a guy who is afraid of butterflies. Other insects, rodents, dogs, homicidal maniacs, 20m high rampaging robots with death rays no problem just butterflies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

coolhandc wrote: »
    I was just talking to someone about her fear of trucks,I thought it was very weird but after looking up the net found that there are a few other people out there afraid of them!
    SO whats everyones biggest fear?!

MUPPETS :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

I absolutely hate buttons, I can kind of handle them on clothing but if say a button falls off my clothes there's no way I can pick it up, they just feel disgusting. My little brother's the same, I think I passed it on. I know there's actually a word for it but too lazy to google it...

Advertisement