Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

most annoying thing on the road?

Options
  • 16-11-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Want to hear what all your personal hates or gripes are on the road?!

mine has to be waiting on a car coming around a roundabout and then they turn off just before your junction without indicating. Wasting your time and making you look like an utter tit at the same time!!

let's keep it fairly light hearted i.e. nothing about uninsured drivers etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Traffic lights on roundabouts. Fine in peak traffic, but they should really change to flashing amber off-peak. Getting on the M50 at Sandyford can be really annoying when you're sitting at lights and noone else on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ustari wrote: »
    mine has to be waiting on a car coming around a roundabout and then they turn off just before your junction without indicating. Wasting your time and making you look like an utter tit at the same time!!
    I'm not sure I get this one. Whether or not you can pull out is determined by how far away they are and how fast they are going, not what way they are indicating. NEVER trust another car's indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Roundabouts again :) Thing I hate is following the lane markings around a roundabout, as signposted, only to find out that you should be in a different lane at the exit. In fairness, a lot of these along the M50 have been fixed or are being rebuilt at the moment, but they're a pain in the a$$, especially when you don't know them that well and the road's busy... You end up having to go around again! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cars :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

speed limits ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Stark wrote: »
    Traffic lights on roundabouts.

I always thought teh point of a roundabout was to keep traffic flowing and to avoid adding traffic lights. seems teh Irish must have had a few lying around and felt it best to stick them up someplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Cars braking and THEN indicating. Drives me potty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Other road users
    Sitting at a red traffic light when there is no traffic going the other way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

When People don't INDICATE, really grinds my gears :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Front fog lights anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Tractors. The 15 km of the N9 immediately north of Waterford is a very busy stretch, but it's all hills, bends and no hard shoulder.

Luckily I'm going southwards at 17.40 in the evening, but Wednesday and yesterday I was making my usual slow progress towards Mullinavat, when I noticed that nothing had passed me coming the other way for about 3 minutes.

I was just about to toss a coin: let's see, it's got to be either an accident or a tractor? Flew through Mullinavat village, not a sinner to be seen. Just exiting south of there and what did I see only Mr Tractor Driver tootling along at 20 km/h.

I counted the vehicles backed up behind him: 61 in total. There are countries where he'd be taken out of the cab and beaten to death for causing a holdup like that.

More seriously, as there's absolutely no hard shoulder for about a 7 km stretch (at the same point where all the cars were queueing), what would happen if an ambulance had to get past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

WindSock wrote: »

No, that would be a faulty clutch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mr kr0nik wrote: »
    Front fog lights anyone??
    Or, worse again, rear foglights.

People using the bus lane to cut you off.

fricatus wrote:
    I counted the vehicles backed up behind him: 61 in total. There are countries where he'd be taken out of the cab and beaten to death for causing a holdup like that.

As bad as him are the people who probably had ample opportunity to overtake him but didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

WindSock wrote: »

+1 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

It's rare people use indicators on roundabouts anymore, i meant when the car is bombing around so you know you won't get out in front of him but then he pulls off the roundabout. Another one of mine is getting the "timing" wrong in sets of traffic lights and hitting every single red!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Hedgehogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

rear fogs
    driving slow
    right lane hogging
    driving slow
    going left before turning right ( no idea why people think they need to do this unless in a truck )
    driving slow
    blocking roundabouts
    driving slow
    staying too close to the car in front
    driving slow
    not using lights in poor visibility
    driving slow
    flashing cars that have over taken you ( those bastar*s )
    driving slow

and lastly
    driving slow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

As bad as him are the people who probably had ample opportunity to overtake him but didn't.

Yeah, that "grinds my gears" too! But drive that road if you don't believe me: there's fúck all opportunity to overtake.

And extending that point, I hate when my turn comes to overtake, say a tractor, and as I'm accelerating, the guy behind me decides he'll overtake both of us at once (without signalling of course) half a second after I move and then has to slam on the brakes.

Usually it's someone in a very powerful car, but I would have thought the etiquette to overtaking a slow tractor (and the only safe way of handling the situation) was for the person directly behind the slow-mover to go when it's clear and let everyone move up a place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ustari wrote:
    let's keep it fairly light hearted
    OK :)

Misplaced courtesy!

1. When you're the last vehicle in a line of traffic, it's a bit pointless to stop to allow another to pull out. It is much safer and less confusing to keep going - the other vehicle can pull out once you've passed.

To make it worse, I then feel that I have to 'thank' them. :rolleyes:

2. Those people who beckon pedestrians to cross the street/road without checking the surrounding traffic situation.

It's very dangerous and would result in an instant failure in a driving test.

3. Those motorists who, when I'm waiting to turn right at a yellow box junction in heavy/standing traffic, gesture that they are 'allowing me to cross in front of them!

Do they not realise that they are obliged to allow me to cross? What do they think the box is for! Ggggrrrrrrrr! :(

4. And like the previous, those who impatiently beckon me on when an obstacle is at their side of the road.

I generally have the right of way in that situation - I decide not you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

While attempting to parallel park, by firstly indicating, driving past the space, and then reversing into the space, but before you get a chance there's a car about 6 inches from your rear bumper with a vacant look on his/her face (normally her)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

(normally her)
    Agree!

Or when in a truck and need to reverse into a premises, the normal procedure is to pull over nearer the centre of the road and put on the hazzards before selecting reverse. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of motorists out there (usually car drivers) who cannot grasp the concept that the truck needs to reverse and instead of allowing plenty of room, they drive right up under the rear or attempt to pass! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Traffic lights on roundabouts. .

Not sure why you're so confused. If some roundabouts had no lights, then certain secondary roads would have little or no chance of getting on to them, as the primary road or dual carraigeway would simply have a constant flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

fricatus wrote: »

I hear you.

I have a handy cross country shortcut that takes me about half way to work. The odd driver (often the same one) goes really slowly, and overtaking isn't an option because the road is hilly and has a lot of bends. If I looked up and saw about 15 people behind me, I'd pull over and let them by.

Also hate the usual stuff:

No indication, dawdling on the entrance slip, tailgating etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 apple_danish

Headlights:

1. People who feel the need to flash their headlights constantly at you because they believe you have not dipped your headlights!!!!! V Dangerous.

2. People who flick their headlights back on as they are passing you. Wait a friging fraction of a second!!!!!!!!

3. People who flash their lights on you during the daytime believing they're alerting you to the fact that you've left your lights on. It's like - I KNOW my lights are on!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Tractors.

+1

and while I might have some tolerance for a farmer going about his business,it's usually some construction type using an agri tractor as a dump truck or low loader,driven my some young school drop out and probably using marked diesel as well :mad:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

drivers in the wrong lane at round abouts who then race you around while talking/texting on their mobiles and than glare at you
    that and tailgaters hate them f*ckers

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Some pansy in a big jeep driving so close behind you that all you can see in the rear view is his grill and headlights. Very dangerous and anoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Tractors. The 15 km of the N9 immediately north of Waterford is a very busy stretch, but it's all hills, bends and no hard shoulder.

Luckily I'm going southwards at 17.40 in the evening, but Wednesday and yesterday I was making my usual slow progress towards Mullinavat, when I noticed that nothing had passed me coming the other way for about 3 minutes.

I was just about to toss a coin: let's see, it's got to be either an accident or a tractor? Flew through Mullinavat village, not a sinner to be seen. Just exiting south of there and what did I see only Mr Tractor Driver tootling along at 20 km/h.

More seriously, as there's absolutely no hard shoulder for about a 7 km stretch (at the same point where all the cars were queueing), what would happen if an ambulance had to get past?

Not so long ago I saw a tractor on the N9 and I counted 93 cars behind him.. and building.
    TK

Advertisement