Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

most annoying thing on the road?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

WindSock wrote: »
    When People don't INDICATE, really grinds my gears :mad:
    Front fog lights anyone??

these are my top two. very few people in this country know how to use their indicators.:mad:

And those idiots that use their front fogs all the time? don't get me started. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

el diablo wrote: »
    these are my top two. very few people in this country know how to use their indicators.:mad:

And those idiots that use their front fogs all the time? don't get me started. :rolleyes:

Yeah, these a re the big two for me aswell. Or people that "do" indicate, but only after they've started to turn!! :mad:

front fogs, especially when on ford-transit like vans, or jeeps!, or those really bright blue-ish lights and can be dazelling when your on backroads with a slight decline!! :mad:

Apart from this is people using the bus-lanes at rush hour on the N3, people stuck in traffic on the M50 that turn onto the merging lane so they can undertake a few cars ahead. :mad:

Driving too slow on motorway/dual carriageway overtaking lane. Driving to slow on perfectly safe, straight primary roads. :mad:

I could go on... :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

People who leave a big (i.e. 5/6 car+) gap in front of them in heavy traffic, someone always cuts in and ads to the queue, nooooooooooooo :mad:

People who have badly levelled head lights, it's me who fooping flashes at you, how do you like being blinded???!! If you can see the shadow of the car ahead on an oncoming road sign, your lights are too high!! :mad:

Micras with fog lights and now Dublin Bus drivers who think it pimps their bus to have the front fog lights on. :mad:

All the idiots who use the hard shoulder 500m or more before the off ramp on the M50 (especially north bound at Firhouse) in heavy traffic. One day you will cause an accident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Driving at less than 120kpm in the fast lane of a motorway or driving slower than traffic in the slow lane - very annoying

Not dipping headlights

Stopping in yellow box junctions and blocking traffic as a result

Using Incorrect lanes entering a roundabout

Not indicating on roundabout

Throwing things out of window of car usually cig butts

Cyclists that dont obey ROTR

Beeping unnecesarily

enteing bus lane to turn too early (ie crossing straight white line before it breaks into a broekn line)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Headlights:

1. People who feel the need to flash their headlights constantly at you because they believe you have not dipped your headlights!!!!! V Dangerous.

2. People who flick their headlights back on as they are passing you. Wait a friging fraction of a second!!!!!!!!

3. People who flash their lights on you during the daytime believing they're alerting you to the fact that you've left your lights on. It's like - I KNOW my lights are on!!!!!!!

Sounds like your lights are misaligned to be honest.

If someone passes me blinding me with their dodgy lights I usually flip on my full beam out of anger just before they pass me. That way its unlikely they'll be dazzled and veer into me (I dont care if they spin off the road after I pass) and I'll have got revenge for them burning my cornias.

Maybe get it checked out...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cazzy wrote: »
    Driving at less than 120kpm in the fast lane of a motorway or driving slower than traffic in the slow lane - very annoying

Not dipping headlights

Stopping in yellow box junctions and blocking traffic as a result

Using Incorrect lanes entering a roundabout

Not indicating on roundabout

Throwing things out of window of car usually cig butts

Cyclists that dont obey ROTR

Beeping unnecesarily

enteing bus lane to turn too early (ie crossing straight white line before it breaks into a broekn line)

thinking the overtaking lane is the 'fast lane'

Headlights:

1. People who feel the need to flash their headlights constantly at you because they believe you have not dipped your headlights!!!!! V Dangerous.

2. People who flick their headlights back on as they are passing you. Wait a friging fraction of a second!!!!!!!!

3. People who flash their lights on you during the daytime believing they're alerting you to the fact that you've left your lights on. It's like - I KNOW my lights are on!!!!!!!

sounds like you drive around with your fogs on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

copacetic wrote: »
    thinking the overtaking lane is the 'fast lane'

I meant the lane on the right that is moving faster. The rules of the road refers to it as faster lane also - I do only use this for overtaking and then move back to the left lane if it is empty.

I also hate tailgaters - it is so dangerous. And people that overtake in a long row of traffic - usually dangeruosly. where do they think they are going to get to with a long line of traffic . In more than a ew cases Ive seen this dangerous driving and then a few miles up the road they have crashed into a wall or something. Saw it a week ago - this guy weaving betwen traffic to try to get to work quicket during morning rush hour traffic. going into and out of wrong lanes and going thru lights when they have turned red. He didnt get any further than me in the end and ended up sending some guy on a motor bike flying through the air when he failed to stop at a red light and went straight into a motor bike instead.

I meant the lane on the right that is moving faster. The rules of the road refers to it as faster lane also - I do only use this for overtaking and then move back to the left lane if it is empty.

I also hate tailgaters - it is so dangerous. And people that overtake in a long row of traffic - usually dangeruosly. where do they think they are going to get to with a long line of traffic . In more than a ew cases Ive seen this dangerous driving and then a few miles up the road they have crashed into a wall or something. Saw it a week ago - this guy weaving betwen traffic to try to get to work quicket during morning rush hour traffic. going into and out of wrong lanes and going thru lights when they have turned red. He didnt get any further than me in the end and ended up sending some guy on a motor bike flying through the air when he failed to stop at a red light and went straight into a motor bike instead.

you set it up, I had to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

BMWs :D:D

*legs it before it kicks off*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Did a creeping up to 50mph then hard braking back down to 25 mph session the whole way from Abbeyleix to Urlingford on Friday, presumably stuck behind some gob****e umpteen cars in front :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are many things but I have just one point

People being slow to move when traffic lights change.

I'm on a motorcycle so I'll usually filtering past and looking with pity at all the people stuck in traffic as I get to the top of the queue :D

But I do not hold anyone up so as I am waiting for the lights to change I constantly watch the opposite lights to see when they are changing.
    Also watching for the fools who are going to break the red lights.
    So when the light does turn green I'm GONE and I glance back at the car 30 metres behind me who is only now moving off. Were they asleep back there?

People need to be more alert when they are No.1 in the queue.
    And not start messing around selecting gears and putting down your newspaper. You should be ready.
    Lights change then check for red light breakers and MOVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I meant the lane on the right that is moving faster. The rules of the road refers to it as faster lane also
    Eh, prehaps you could provide a link!

I have several editions of the ROTR and none make any mention of a 'fast' or 'slow' lane! ;)

While attempting to parallel park, by firstly indicating, driving past the space, and then reversing into the space, but before you get a chance there's a car about 6 inches from your rear bumper with a vacant look on his/her face (normally her)

I hate it when people, usually men, cause an obstruction because they have decided they want to reverse into a space that they have only noticed is becoming available after they have driven past.
    Once everyone sorts themselves out and around the obstruction. Someone comes along and assumes that the car indicating but not angled for a reverse is waiting for a space to open up in front.
    At which point the first driver gets out and starts bollicking the new occupant of the space.
    Saw this happen last week, the first driver refused to move blocking traffic for 15-20 minutes until the second got fed up of being abused and moved.
    Even though the space next to him became available.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I hate it when people, usually men, cause an obstruction because they have decided they want to reverse into a space that they have only noticed is becoming available after they have driven past.

I'd imagine 90% of the time they have noticed but want to reverse in..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Silly women don't realise that you have to reverse to parallel park properly. Even that some people prefer to reverse into all spaces so they don't have to reverse back out into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ballooba wrote: »
    Silly women don't realise that you have to reverse to parallel park properly. Even that some people prefer to reverse into all spaces so they don't have to reverse back out into traffic.

yeh, they usually indicate to go into the space before they actually go by it and attempt to reverse into it, its the idiots that drive right up behind them because there not paying attention(usually women:D) that annoy me, they stop the driver from reversing into the spot safely and swiftly.

Moonbaby wrote:
    Someone comes along and assumes that the car indicating but not angled for a reverse is waiting for a space to open up in front.

Add to copacetic's and ballooba's comments: Silly people who don't realise that the white light(s) on the back of a car means the car is about to reverse into the spot behind them, rather than drive into the spot in front.
    draffodx wrote:
    its the idiots that drive right up behind them because there not paying attention(usually women) that annoy me, they stop the driver from reversing into the spot safely and swiftly.

Yup. Especially annoying when you're trying to parallel park and they block a whole lane of traffic. Someone did it to me before on a road with two lanes each way and a third lane of dedicated car park spaces, and they stuck stubbornly to my ass behind me leaning on the horn rather than use the second lane to move around me. At that point I had already started reversing into the space :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

People who can't use the merging lane on a Motorway or Dual Carriage way. They drive down the ramp and stop as soon as the broken line starts, indicating into stopped or slow-moving traffic, even though there's 300 meters of empty merging lane in front of them. This causes a tail back back up the ramp and snarles the whole junction.
    N4 inbound onto M50 south used to be a prime example before the freeflow business. Cherrywood/Loughlinstown onto the N11 too.
    Go to the END of the merge & zipper into the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Tailgaters. Was on a dual carriageway on Sat night (very heavy rain and low visibility) and some ubermuppet wouldn't back off or overtake, despite the fact that the overtaking lane was empty and there was f*ck-all grip on the road. Someday, I would like to murder a tailgater before one of them murders me.

People who cut you off and think its ok because they pretend not to see you.

Drivers overtaking a long queue of cars on busy N-roads, with oncoming traffic. Its *not* ok to force other cars into the hard shoulder even if it does cut your journey time by 30 seconds :rolleyes:

Any form of dodgy driving with one or more kids standing up/moving around in the car. A good sign that someone is not fit to be a parent.

Loud exhausts.

Drivers who think the size of their vehicle always entitles them to the right of way.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Add to copacetic's and ballooba's comments: Silly people who don't realise that the white light(s) on the back of a car means the car is about to reverse into the spot behind them, rather than drive into the spot in front.
    The indicator should be enough but I find I have to be superman quick to get the car into reverse to put on the reverse light. Even then it's sometimes not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

On roundabouts during rush hour. People that move out off the roundabout heading toward their desired exit, but there isn't enough room to get off the roundabout and into their lane, so they block up everyone coming from the left.
    I'll sit on the roundabout til there's enough room for me to get in and keep my arse off the roundabout, even if it means letting people from the lane to the left of me pass ahead and on to their desired exit, and I'll have people up my hole beeping at me. Dumbasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

People that have stupid complaints about other drivers!

I can understand complaints when it comes to safety on the road such as idiot tailgaters etc.

But peolple giving out about people that don't move off quick enough at the traffic lights and people that let a few car spaces build up between them and the next car in a queue. Are you really in that big of a rush all the time?? (I don't do either of these so I'm not trying to defend my own behaviours).

bman wrote: »
    But peolple giving out about people that don't move off quick enough at the traffic lights and people that let a few car spaces build up between them and the next car in a queue. Are you really in that big of a rush all the time?? (I don't do either of these so I'm not trying to defend my own behaviours).
    Have you experienced Dublin traffic? The people who fail to move off when the lights change cause most of the congestion at some of the worst junctions. Nutley Lane on the N11 for instance.

bman wrote:
    Are you really in that big of a rush all the time??

It can depend on the junction. On junctions with short sequences that only let 2-3 cars out it can make a huge difference. I've often missed lights because of someone in front who dozed off, then woke up just in time to break the orange light.

The junction between the N1 and Griffith Avenue gets very congested due to people taking a long time to start moving when the lights turn green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

my favourite is:
    pull out 'n park

Yeah, they guy moves at light speed out in front of you at the last minute.. then sits back and enjoys a cadbury's caramel.....or drives at 15kmh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

ballooba wrote: »
    The indicator should be enough but I find I have to be superman quick to get the car into reverse to put on the reverse light. Even then it's sometimes not enough.

isn't it illegal to reverse on a main road :confused:

lil'bug wrote: »
    isn't it illegal to reverse on a main road :confused:
    No. It's illegal to reverse onto a main road from a minor road. It's also illegal to reverse on a motorway.

That would be an incredibly silly law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Cars driving slow, you go to pass out and then they put the foot down because they feel that they own the road and no one should pass them :confused:
    Driving along with no one behind you and then a car decides to pull out right in front of you causing you to brake then they drive along at a slow pace:mad:
    Slow drivers in fast lane on motorway :mad:
    Cars that drive right along the white line making it harder to pass :mad:
    Cars that take up two parking spaces when parking :mad:
    Cars taking off slow at traffic lights or slowing down going through them when they are green. :D
    People who block up the yellow boxes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

1 People who slow down almost to a halt as soon as a traffic light has turned green. Why?
    2 Allowing people who don't have right of way to merge onto the busy main road only to have them avert their gaze without acknowledging it. Complete lack of courtesy!!!!

Advertisement