Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamboree2008

• 16-11-2007 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭

An international Jamboree is being held in Ireland next year in August.

Anyone going? My troop is one of the lucky ones who registered before they closed the lists.

Where you on a previous Jamboree in Ireland? 14 votes

Lough Dan 1997
    0% 0 votes
    Ballyfin 1993
    21% 3 votes
    Gosford 1989
    35% 5 votes
    Portumna 1985
    42% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

Our troop decided it would be better to do a jambo abroad:p> its working out cheaper too. >German subsidies!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

seamus-2k7 wrote: »
    Our troop decided it would be better to do a jambo abroad:p> its working out cheaper too. >German subsidies!!!:D

Same here, only we're just knocking over the water to Campdowne.

Dunno if the Jambo here will be as good as people are making it out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

There a jambo in Estonia were the army did catering!!! love that.
    I herd campdowne was like a swamp mosquito's etc.< could be wrong.

Its a world jambo> would be good just better of spending less money abroad.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

starting this june, you can go to a jamboree in europe and go to a new one every 2 weeks for 12 months... now thats how to travelle the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bogger

This is going to be great.

• Advertisement

I'm actually starting to regret not signing up at this stage. It looks like fun.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'm actually starting to regret not signing up at this stage. It looks like fun.

ditto

Altho Kanderstag should be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

I clicked Portmudna '85 in the poll above, lets sing together a song of joy, lets show each other we can get by, All scouts together........ Cringe I still remember the lyrics after 23 years!! :p I even remember the gorgeous Leslie Dowdall from In Tua Nua singing at the opening ceremony!! :o

I was prompted to check out the Jambo 2008 site by my OH as a kid for whom she is an SNA for is attending with his troop. It looks like it is going to be amazing... oh to be a kid again.

I hope all attending Jambo 2008 have as much if not more fun than I had at Portumna'85 & I hope the rain stays off..... sure if it doesn't you'll have a ball in the mud I know I did 23 years ago!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

I'm heading there with our scouts, and bringing my 7yr old beaver scout daughter along! I hope its as good as it looks. Looking forward to it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

The latest newsletter gives a good breakdown of the programme. It can be found here:

http://www.jamboree2008.ie/downloads/newsletters/TheJam...Issue_04.pdf

Looks good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Yeah, I don't really like the idea of summer camp being in Ireland. I like going to a different country and being the only Irish there! Headin to Campdowne but might show up at Jambo aswell..

my first summer camp out of the country was last year on the WSJ or the explorer belt in poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Just fininshing up work now, off to the Jambo tomorrow :)
    It better be great !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

So with the Jamboree of 2008 over I would like to know what you thought. In case you were wondering 325 volunteer staff failed to turn up and that left the facilities compromised. They covered this by giving scouts water pistols and bouncy castles and the place was like another oxygen at night only without the drugs and drink.

Some of you might have heard that the event was fully cancelled on the Wednesday but later it turned out it was just the visitors day was cancelled. In reality the event was cancelled but Kildare county council said play on without the Cubs

Portumna '85 got the nickname Portmudna I think this Jamboree will be called Shamboree '08

Yeah, seems to be a lot of complaints coming in about the organisation side of things, lack of staff would definitely explain it. I was only there briefly myself on Saturday and even though it had turned to a shambles (probably due to the weather as much as anything else), people were still having a great time.
    All the reports I've heard back are that people seemed to have enjoyed themselves regardless, even with the Programme problems and general facilities issues.

In fairness I think it may have a been a little over-zealous trying to organise a 12,500 person event when we have little experience in running even small Jamborees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

I dont think the organisers comprehended how many people would be there! It was very very big and they just couldnt handle it. I dont think the weather brought anyone down (it did however, force our troop to head home on saturday), just severe queues of kids for activities that wouldnt be able to cater for half the amount, it just wasnt possible. Overall I thought it was good craic and fair play to everyone who took part, I could only imagine how difficult it would have been to organise things, it definately would not have helped have 325 volunteers show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

endplate wrote: »
    So with the Jamboree of 2008 over I would like to know what you thought. In case you were wondering 325 volunteer staff failed to turn up and that left the facilities compromised. They covered this by giving scouts water pistols and bouncy castles and the place was like another oxygen at night only without the drugs and drink.

Some of you might have heard that the event was fully cancelled on the Wednesday but later it turned out it was just the visitors day was cancelled. In reality the event was cancelled but Kildare county council said play on without the Cubs

Portumna '85 got the nickname Portmudna I think this Jamboree will be called Shamboree '08

Indeed, I spotted one water pistol toting youngster run up and give a garda a good spray on the back of his waterproof jacket with one. He ran off and the Garda gave chase in the menacing way they do to small kids, grabbed the waterpistol and walked off with it and handed it to another kid further up the square. Not sure whether he was legally within his rights to do it (blue tipped epaulettes , probationer?) and I definitely think that it wasn't the right course of action to take - in this case a chat with the youngsters leader to scare the bejaysus out of them and make sure that it didn't happen again, as opposed to behaving like an overgrown schoolyard bully.

i think it was brilliant, and i was on staff, helping jamboree 2008 climb everest!!! Team Climbing wall!!!

Any kid ive spoken to loved it and lets be honest only the adults were annoyed with programme etc. Throw 8 thousand kids in a field and they're gonna have fun!!!

My scouts loved building trenchs, one even said "this is klass, and we dont even have to que up for tickets" haha

Jamboree 2013 - "its gonna be better"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

endplate wrote: »

I think calling the Jamboree this is an insult to all those who spent a great deal of time organising it.

OK there were a lot of problems with programme, amoungst others, and Scouts not getting to do thing they were promised but the main people I heard complaining were leaders, saying things like 'now I have to organise something' - come on guys we are leaders and should have a back up plan. Some leaders grab a football and before you knew it there was mini world cup hsappening. The Scouts just shrugged their shoulders and got on with it making new friends and enjoying themselves. Any Scout I talked to over the Jamboree said they were enjoying it, even the Saturday night unscheduled event!!!!

Anyway I was staff on the medical team so was not really effected by the programme issues. However those who volunteered for staff and did not show up had a detrimental effect on all teams in the Jamboree. Scouters are meant to be 'Trustworthy' just like Scouts I thought.

Although I was not camping with my Group they all seemed to have a good time even though the programme was causing them problems like everyone else.

Ronny is right, and I believe it was just a bit too ambitious to try and run a Jamboree with such an elaborate programme and believe if we followed the KISS principle, at least until SI had a Jamboree or two under their belts, starting from basic stuff and building up one Jamboree after another, it may have worked better.

Anyway I had a great experience and our team worked great together. I am looking forward to see if they will organise another one in 4 years or so because I would definatly volunteer again to get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Shoie wrote: »
    I think calling the Jamboree this is an insult to all those who spent a great deal of time organising it.

OK there were a lot of problems with programme, amoungst others, and Scouts not getting to do thing they were promised but the main people I heard complaining were leaders, saying things like 'now I have to organise something' - come on guys we are leaders and should have a back up plan. Some leaders grab a football and before you knew it there was mini world cup hsappening. The Scouts just shrugged their shoulders and got on with it making new friends and enjoying themselves. Any Scout I talked to over the Jamboree said they were enjoying it, even the Saturday night unscheduled event!!!!

Anyway I was staff on the medical team so was not really effected by the programme issues. However those who volunteered for staff and did not show up had a detrimental effect on all teams in the Jamboree. Scouters are meant to be 'Trustworthy' just like Scouts I thought.

Although I was not camping with my Group they all seemed to have a good time even though the programme was causing them problems like everyone else.

Ronny is right, and I believe it was just a bit too ambitious to try and run a Jamboree with such an elaborate programme and believe if we followed the KISS principle, at least until SI had a Jamboree or two under their belts, starting from basic stuff and building up one Jamboree after another, it may have worked better.

Anyway I had a great experience and our team worked great together. I am looking forward to see if they will organise another one in 4 years or so because I would definatly volunteer again to get involved.

I think the problem was that the timescale allocated to planning the jamboree was quite short when compared to other comparable events. I think with the time and efforts the team made a reasonable effort especially when a number of staff simply didn't show up or some vanished during the camp, presumably down to where their scouts were saying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement