Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepsi - 50% Extra Free

Options
  • 16-11-2007 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

My arse.

When these bottles first came out a while back, the ones with 750mls instead of 500mls, it actually was 50% extra free. I don't think I've gone into a single shop where they haven't increased the cost of it compared to other 500ml bottles.

Surely the distributors have something to say about this, because they'll be the ones losing out. Their promotions are no longer promotions but rip-offs from the shops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

All they have to do is introduce flashed pricing. I dont know why more do not do this, perhaps since some shops boycott products that do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Buceph wrote: »
    I don't think I've gone into a single shop where they haven't increased the cost of it compared to other 500ml bottles.

Did you ever complain to the shop manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

rubadub wrote: »
    All they have to do is introduce flashed pricing. I dont know why more do not do this, perhaps since some shops boycott products that do.

so many times I have seen prices flashed and different prices on the SEL (and it has to be assumed a different price is charged at the til).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

so many times I have seen prices flashed and different prices on the SEL (and it has to be assumed a different price is charged at the til).

What does flashed pricing and SEL mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Flash pricing is when a price is printed on the label of the item. SEL is the label on the shelf.

I've seen this exact problem posted before. Someone had complained to the manager and it seems the shop is expected to swallow some of the cost of the free portion, since the promotion should bring more business. Some shops may not be willing to do this so they increase the price in line with the wholesale increase.

Don't know if maybe the consumers association would have something to say about this or not. Probably not a lot they can do as it's up to every shop to decide what they charge for anything. Short answer is shop elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I hear before that if you complain to the the manufacturer about it they will take action (not sure what), the shops get the item at the same price as before (or even a bit cheaper to compensate as some shop have to rearrange the shelves for the bigger bottles, but the shop takes the opportunity to increase prices, at the end of the day in this case Pepsi is who looks bad because of that complain, they see it that in the long term the band might loose a small part in the market because of it.

I have a friend that does some work for coke and they are very strict on everything, for example shops cannot put the in the Coke branded fridges any product not manufacture by coke not even Milk.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

nava wrote: »
    I have a friend that does some work for coke and they are very strict on everything, for example shops cannot put the in the Coke branded fridges any product not manufacture by coke not even Milk.

Not only that, but they try to get you to put all the cans in so the logos all face directly outward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Just as an aside, why do Club Orange bottles say 33 1/3% extra free when they are the same size and price as the Pepsi bottles. I can't see how they're making that calculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Suppliers cannot take any action on this issue. If they try to tell the retailer what price something has to be sold at, they are price fixing which in itself is against the law. Contrary to what another poster said, it is NOT normal procedure to give the supplier a slight discount to compensate for relaying of shelves. I have noticed in the last year or two, where an offer of buy one get one free used to be funded by the supplier giving me one and one. The deals are changing to buy 3 c/s get 2 free and I am expected to contribute to the offer to make up the buy one get one free ( BOGOF)

As for coke not allowing other lines into their fridges, that is half right. Go into any chipper or small shop and you will see milk, sauces, pretty much anything in them. Where there is a branded coke fridge and a branded club fridge it normally does not arise. If a coke rep walked into my shop and told me to take something out of his fridge - it would be him taking the fridge out of my shop with my boot up his rear.

Along the same lines, Mars Ireland took HB/Unilever to the european court over not allowing non HB lines into the fridge and won. The exception to this is where there is more than one fridge in the store.

I own a symbol store and know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sattwa69

under competition law, a fridge supplied (free) by a manufacturer can have up to 30% of its space used by competitors. This applies ONLY to brands with a dominant position in the marketplace. If you are a smaller brand, you do NOT have to allow anyone in your fridges.
    by 'brand' I mean family of brands supplied, eg. 'Coke' will include the Coke range (powerade, fanta, relentless, etc)
    Similarly as the poster below says, if there is more than one fridge the rules change, in some cases the supplier will supply TWO fridges, one only for his products, and one shared fridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement