Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade to windows Xp PRO?

• 16-11-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    A friend of mine wants to upgrade to XP Pro from XP home on her machine to use features like remote desktop. Can anyone remember if the standard XP Pro install CD allows you to upgrade (as apposed to having to re-install everything) or do you need a special cd?

Its been a few years since I upgraded from XP home, so I can't remember.....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zapho wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    A friend of mine wants to upgrade to XP Pro from XP home on her machine to use features like remote desktop. Can anyone remember if the standard XP Pro install CD allows you to upgrade (as apposed to having to re-install everything) or do you need a special cd?

Its been a few years since I upgraded from XP home, so I can't remember.....

to put XP Pro on a pc you need a license
    either an upgrade license - which is a waste of money if she has XP oem as the new licenxe will be locked to her PC

or a full standalone non-OEM PRO license which could on any pc (but only one install at a time)

for local networks VNC is a freebie that allows desktop sharing to and from just about anything with a graphics user interface, and I would not be suprised if there was an Ascii art port somewhere

from the internet would be a bit trickier as you would need to use VNC over a VPN for security reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 28 peppee1

Hi,

I want to upgrade from windows 95 to Xp on an older desktop.

I have a dell inspiron 1300 laptop with windows xp but i have no utility/recovery cd for it.If i had that cd,would i be able to upgrade the older desktop with it?

Also where can I get this cd?I bought the laptop off dell over a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

peppee1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 1300 laptop with windows xp but i have no utility/recovery cd for it.If i had that cd,would i be able to upgrade the older desktop with it?

The only disc you need would be an XP Home installation disc, you could use this disk to format your 98 machine then install XP to your formated drive.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335064

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

peppee1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Would an old 95 machine be able to do XP justice?

I've never had a Dell that came without an OS cd, though I have heard of such things (I've bought 5 Dells in the last four years). So I presume you lost it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

May not have lost it, you don't get a installation disc with every Dell machine, few times I haven't got any.

• Advertisement
Advertisement