Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Celica - Purchase in Ireland/Import from Japan - YOU DECIDE!

Options
  • 16-11-2007 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

hey all,

I have decided eventually to but a celica but I dont know whether to buy at home or buy from Japan.

I have 10-13k and I want a 1.8 Celica (2000) +. I wont get much for my money at home and I keep getting conflicting reports about IBC (Japan import).

What would YOU do? Thanks all!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

i'd import from UK

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Conor79

Buy at home. A friend of mine bought an Impreza from Japan. At first it seemed like he was going to save a load of money but after VRT etc it did not work out as much.

The car was in bits when it arrived in and obviously there no comeback or warrenty.

It's worth the few quid to get the car in decent condition / to be able to test it out first and potentially get some sort of warrenty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

mthd wrote: »
    i'd import from UK

+ 1

... as long as its the VVTLI 190 bhp model!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Import from UK... 190vvtLi engine with a service history and leather..... I did it, worked out well, got a great car. Jap Celica's that'd I'd driven didn't even compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd go for as was said the UK T-sport 190bhp model. Might get a nice one for circa £6k sterling, looking at close to €12k once everything payed.

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd go for as was said the UK T-sport 190bhp model. Might get a nice one for circa £6k sterling, looking at close to €12k once everything payed.
    eh not for a T-Sport. VRT on a 01 vvti-190 is around 4k so there's no way you'd get a 02 t-sport for 12k all in!

this looks good for the money...
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+CELICA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-20-231-4294966225-4294967173/advert.action?R=200744297910584

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JDM cars use different parts to our ones, they asometimes have different engines and the ECUs are set up to accomadate a higher RON fuel (JDM cars are often 99/100 RON compared to 95 RON here) meaning less performance than the quoted figure, have no security(things like deadlocks and Immobilisers aren't fitted), are restricted to 180 km/h, have things like seatbelts designed for people who are generally a bit smaller than we are, and the car could have been to the moon and back and wouldn't know because service history is often impossible to find.

UK spec ftw, just make sure to avoid a clocked one(since UK imports are commonly clocked), get the car HPI'd before you buy it(around £35 IIRC but worth every penny, cause it will tell you if it was, and if it was in an accident, has outstanding finance etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

if it where me... id have a really good look around because there seems to be some nice ones ( gotta love the st165 ) but then again there are really really poor examples of the celica

no matter where you buy yours.... your gonna be spending alot of cash for one... but it is money well spent

japans always a good choice just be careful of the person who imports it as to ensure you don't get ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭paddy111199

Cheers all!

Just wondering where did u look for cars in UK.

I had a look on autotrade and exchage and mart but just wondering did anyone go to a dealer or can recommend anyone.

Defo get a hpi check and a mechanical lookover before i buy.

Also would u be guarenteed a warrenty?

Did a few sums, are these correct?

Car purchase: €9,500 (£6.5k)
    VRT €4,000
    HPI and check €500
    Total €14,000

Thanks all

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/list.asp?s=156

you have to add in your travel costs too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CelicaStorm

I got my Celica 190 from the UK. Spent months looking for one here but everyone I looked at was overpriced and both interior & exterior was in really poor condition. Thought about importing from Japan but really wanted leather interior so opted for UK.

Best decision I ever made....car is in mint condition!!! I'd defo recommend the 190...engine loves to be revved and handling is very crisp (even for a FWD)

Lots of Celica owners sites with all the nfo you'll ever need. Here's my favs...

http://www.newcelica.org/

http://www.teamcelica.com/

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

Hi

Have 01 190bhp model for sale,on carzone
    Pm me if interested or any questions

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ncc98071 wrote: »
    Have 01 190bhp model for sale,on carzone
    Pm me if interested or any questions

Ya pimp ya ;)

But seeing as OP is looking for one, I'll let it be...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

Cheers Unkel

Advertisement