Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any White Wine Recipes?

• 16-11-2007 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭

Well after doing Carbonara a few times I need some new recipes that involve white wine. I could do Chicken a La King, but that's the extent of my white wine recipes.

Does anyone have any suggestions, instructions would be good too. Does anyone have any good Chicken a La King recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

risotto is always a good use for that last glass of wine sloshing around in the bottom of the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

French onion soup is always improved by a good lashing of a dry white.

Have you got a job lot to get rid of or something? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Cheese fondue uses a healthy spattering of white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Heh Heh, thanks for the suggestions folk, keep them coming. Neither myself or the missus drink wine so when we buy a bottle for a recipe we sometimes have a hard time using it up before it goes off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

eo980 wrote: »
    Heh Heh, thanks for the suggestions folk, keep them coming. Neither myself or the missus drink wine so when we buy a bottle for a recipe we sometimes have a hard time using it up before it goes off!

Did you know you can freeze leftover wine in ice cube bags/trays and use them next time you need wine for a recipe. It saves throwing it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

eo980 wrote: »
    Well after doing Carbonara a few times...

Do you put white wine in Carbonara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

If you like seafood (specifically shellfish), you could try Mussles in white wine. Really easy to do.

Melt a knob of butter on meduim heat in a large saucepan. Add in half a chopped onion, some chopped parsley and a couple of crushed garlic cloves.

Leave it for five minutes until the onion is soft and turn the heat up high before adding a good splash of the white. Throw the mussels in on top and leave for about 6 minutes until the shells open.

Put them into bowls and drizzle the sauce over them. Serve with baguette and optional chips.

When I lived in France and had easy access to fresh inexpesnive seafood I used to eat this at least twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I use white wine principally in four things (none of which, shockingly, are a drinking glass.)

1) White wine and cream sauce. Usually in a 2:1 ratio of cream to wine, and stir a little cornflour through the cream before adding it to the pan and it will thicken. Good with various seafoods and chicken/bacon with mushrooms.
    2) White wine and tomato sauce. I like it in a ratio of 1/3 pint of wine to 400g tin of tomatoes. Good base for seafood and light meatballs.
    3) White wine in risotto, as mentioned above.
    4) White wine in roast chicken gravy.

Advertisement