Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delegation of senior players to discuss next manager with Delaney

• 16-11-2007 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

According to Newstalk the FAI has confirmed that a delegation of senior players led by Robbie Keane will meet with John Delaney to discuss the appointment of next manager.

Should the players have any say in this matter?

The FAI have also confirmed there will be no statement today on the appointment of a new manger.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Robbie Keane should have no say in any matter. He's done to justify being captain and is certainly not someone whose opinion I care much for. Hopefully Dunne/Given do most of the talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

standard for any 'chairman' to talk to some players in this situation. its as much to establish what went wrong with the previous incumbant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Would be hilarious if they wanted Staunton back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's be great :) Personally I'd value their opinion on who a good manager is over Delaneys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Did the FAI actually release a statement saying this? If so, why? Does Robbie et al actually realise that this'll put more pressure on them if the team don't perform? Probably a good thing though, but the FAI don't need to be feeding stories like this to the media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Did the FAI actually release a statement saying this? If so, why? Does Robbie et al actually realise that this'll put more pressure on them if the team don't perform? Probably a good thing though, but the FAI don't need to be feeding stories like this to the media.

Won't really put any pressure on them. I'd imagine it's more a case of getting a bit of feedback rather than letting the players decide who they want. But I agree in prinicple, there's no need for this to come out in the press.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think it shows progression at least. If they listen to what's said i think it could be helpful. For example if this had happened after Kerr left i don't think stan would have been the gaffer...

Step in the right direction hopefully = my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

personally i think kerr was the rite man jus not enough time given thou the fai has to be completely regutted from the top down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They should have no say in the matter. I think this is part of the reason we're in the state we're in. Players deciding they know what's right for the team and not following instructions from above. It may have happened less so with Staunton but you see towards the end of Kerr that they weren't following out his orders and deciding they knew best what to do in order to qualify us. Kerrs last game v Switzerland comes to mind.

There seems to be a mood in the Irish camp along the lines of France WC2006 whereby there is effectively no manager and it's the egos on the pitch running the whole show. Possibly a good thing short-term but I don't think it's healthy for a team to operate that way. Little gestures such as this delegation feel like just the tip of the iceberg with this lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Nunu wrote: »
    According to Newstalk the FAI has confirmed that a delegation of senior players led by Robbie Keane
    FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keane was great today. Real leadership, scored the first and really started the move for the second. Chased down everything.

Advertisement