Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Compulsary breath test at accident?

Options
  • 16-11-2007 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

I was involved in a tip lastnight,guy reversed and rammed into my car then tried to make a break for it,long story short i blocked him in in the end and got him out of his car.

He first tried to blame me on hitting him,when i said i was getting the cops his tune changed to his friend would fix my car for me,I took all his details and got the gards.

They came and i told them what happened,they then asked was i happy enough with his details so they could leave,i said no i wanted a records taken of it there.The gaurd wasnt the slightest bit interested and told me to just relax even though your man tried the legger.

What im wondering is are breath tests not compulsary now for both parties in the event of an accident or is it solely at the gardas discretion if one is carried out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I'm not sure but Id say they would be done at larger scale accidents, perhaps where there are injured parties but on such a small scale i doubt it.

Anyway, well done for having the sharp reflexes to block him from doin a legger. Scumbags :mad:

what car are you driving just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

An Integra Type R,he actually did a legger and i had to chase after him,i wouldnt reccomend it but there was no way i was letting him away!

The guy had no licence or Id on him either,Cops were more interested in me showing mine within 10 days even though i showed them my licence and insurance cert there and then.

He didnt smell of booze but seemed abit wonky on his feet and disorientated,i just wondered if they should have as even a procaution and the circumstances of how it happened given him a test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Fair play for making him hang around and calling the cops. Seems a bit stupid that they didn't test him or both of you there. There was some talk of introducing compulsory breath testing at accident scenes. But it sounds to me that its less likely they'll do this at serious accidents as they said they would maintain discretion/sensitivity in these cases, eg not force someone to give a breath sample as they are being hauled away in an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the problem is maybe the gards didnt have the equipment, i know for a fact that many dont, my dad is the sergeant of a very busy village/town station with 6 gards assigned to it, they dont have aspeed gun or a breathaliser, its only the odd time a traffic corps car might patrol the area. There is a road straight trough the place, and many bank robberies have occured there in diff banks where the robbers were just able to speed away, the amount of speeding that goes on outside the station is unreal but they cant do anything about it.

Advertisement