Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolton St administration

Options
  • 16-11-2007 7:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm doing course in Bolton St and the administration is beyond belief.

My first mistake was volunteering for class rep & now I feel like I should be getting a bloody wage for the work I'm doing- meeting with IT to sort out IT issues, reporting yucky toilets, helping (to an extreme) foreign students who don't understand what the hell is going on (DIT were happy to take their money though).

And on top of all that being told that I'm an adult now and am expected to look after a these things myself (as well as effectively having a 60 hour week)

Anyone else experienced the same??

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

Beyond useless!

From faculty secretary's who can't communicate effectively

To Exams office/accounts staff who are unhelpful and unknowledgable; just glad I'm out of that place now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thank God - thought I was going crazy there for a while.

They treat me like I have 2 heads when I tell them that the course handbook is intelligible. They spend 30 minutes explaining the timetable and then become confused when I say to them that surely a timetable shouldn't need that much explaining!!

I feel like I'm subsidising their jobs - if you can call them that.

What makes it worse is I did my undergrad in Trinity...The difference is both shocking and disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ever since i started in DIT i've said the worst thing i could ever bear witness to is DIT's administration system. each elected body after elected body have done nothing to improve the situation. dealing with any "higher ups" feels like you're just interrupting them from their money-counting tasks.

i've also had lecturers say this. one even did an analysis example using DIT's administration to show how bad it is.

i'm considering finishing my undergrad in trinity because the money i'm paying clearly isn't going to anything i can benefit from

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Are you in Bolton St?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I'm doing a course in Bolton Street and so far, I didn't run into any serious problems. However, I wasn't informed about examination registration forms, and I had to hand them up by yesterday, so that was a bit bastardly of DIT IMO.

Sometimes, the administration in one faculty can be better than in another one. If you're in the faculty of built environment, it's going to be hectic and chaotic on the behalf of the admin team, because they have to get through so many people. If you've successfully completed architecture, you deserve a lot more than a degree parchment. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

taconnol wrote: »
    Are you in Bolton St?

kevin st.

as far as i can see (or hear), the administration issues run accross DIT as a whole, regardless of campus. even DIT's beloved aungier st. is in bits..

it's ironic that a massive institution like that can teach business but can't handle their own properly, or teach IT courses but have a horrible network... etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

My first mistake was volunteering for class rep & now I feel like I should be getting a bloody wage for the work I'm doing- meeting with IT to sort out IT issues, reporting yucky toilets, helping (to an extreme) foreign students who don't understand what the hell is going on (DIT were happy to take their money though).

As a Students' Union Class Rep you shouldn't be single handedly sorting everything that goes wrong with your class. You might need to resolve a couple of small issues here and there but we're not talking about more than a few hours every couple of weeks. If it's getting more than that then something's up.

I'd recommend talking to the convenor for Bolton St. that being Mark Smith (convenor-at-bst.ditsu.ie).

If there are facilities issues drop a line to Sean Gilsenan at vpservices-at-ditsu.ie

If there are academic or welfare issues drop a line to Martin Dunne at vpacademic-at-ditsu.ie.

We're here to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

i know this is ot but could someone pm the log in details for the student.dit.ie website or do you just use the same log in as webct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

From a previus post

username: Student
    password: ThunderRoad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Anyone else experienced the same??

Do the admin and registration offices still close 15min before lunch and reopen 15min after lunch? So the only time you'd have to get to them was at the 10min break at 11am, when there'd aways be a queue. That used to crack me up.

• Advertisement

Yes. It's like dealing with a government body like the Revenue.

They're all in there for life and they don't give a crap about customer service. What? Customer service? What's that?

Actually I went in to get our class's exam timetable last Thursday and this was what happened:

Me: Hi. I'm looking for our class timetable. I was told last week that if I came here today I could get it.
    DIT Admin: Who told you that?
    Me: Does it matter? Can I please get my timetable?
    DIT Admin: *Rolls eyes and stomps off in annoyance at being asked to actually do something*

SHe then comes back and literally throws the piece of paper at me without saying anything walks away.

If any of them worked for a private company they'd be fired within a week.

Advertisement