Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help locating a suitable card.

Options
  • 16-11-2007 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I'm looking to get a new graphics card PCI express for a Dell machine. I'm overwhelmed on komplett at the amount of cards, I haven't a clue of one from another.

My problem is I have a dell E520. And I don't have anyway of powering a card or getting a double card.

Can someone recommend the best card I can get ,preferably with DVI and VGA.

Thanks,
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You have a 305w psu, and only 18a on the rail. You should get away with an 8600GT, the Dabs Value model is good value at just under 100 euro.

What are your intended uses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Hey ,thanks havok.

I'm connecting a plasma tv to it with a vga cable ,windows media tv recording. My X1300 pro card wont work with it :(
    I've tried the vga cable 30Ft with my laptop and it works well with the plasma.

Occasionally games ,but obviously nothing hectic .
    Photo work on a 20.1 ultrasharp.

Cheers.

This card alright ? I never use dabs http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N751-AR&pwindow=support&family=23

I've ordered this card ,http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334591
    It seems to have the same spec as the dabs card .

Hope all goes well with it ,fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why doesn't the X1300 work, what problems are you having?

As for card, yes that's fine too, no difference from the dabs one...except the price, and probably has a cooler sticker. :D

The X1300 won't run on vga with my plasma. I can get it working with the S-video composite lead ,but my machine comes to a halt.

To be honest ,when I first got the X1300 .I played a few games on it and I was impressed by the games and was sorry I didn't get a better card.

Then I discovered the dell upgrade fiasco ,so I knocked upgrading on the head.

Mathias over on the home entertainment forum ,had suggested that either the 2400/2600 or 8500/8600 cards would work with plasma.

To be honest my machine has vista running and I'd be happy upgrading ,I have another machine on vista ,without any graphics card.
    I can stick the 1300 card into anyway.

Thanks for the help on this ,I had no idea about terms on amps and rails.
    As you can probably tell ,I've never built anything myself ,so I don't know what terms etc. to look out for.

Cheers,
    Brian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement