Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Malahide Road - Recent deathtrap installation

Options
  • 16-11-2007 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

I couldn't believe what I saw recently installed on the Malahide Road, they have installed a speed bump at the entrance to Coolock Retail Park for drivers who are crossing two lanes of oncoming traffic and then hit the speed bump. So you have to cross the two lanes of oncoming traffic which is difficult at the best of times, then slow down to cross the speed bump and risk being massacred by oncoming traffic. The speed bump is only on the entrance that traffic use which have to cross the 2 oncoming lanes, the simpletons have failed to instal one on the adjacent entrance point for the oncoming lanes where they have a would you believe Yield Right Of Way sign. Anyone with sense would install the speed bump for the oncoming traffic entering the retail park making best waste to the end of year council budget money. Only in Ireland, Noel Dempsey we salute you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got to see a picture of that.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Seems crazy alright! You'd imagine they should be trying to slow down people heading outbound on the Malahide Road and not those trying to cross it. I know I generally crawl over ramps which would leave the rear of my car exposed to traffic for longer than necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

mike65 wrote: »
    Got to see a picture of that.

Mike.

Yes I will have to get one tomorrow, it's insane. Joe Duffy would get a good hours radio out of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I dont see what the problem is i use that part of the road every day 6 days a week, and i have never had any hassle with the bump. Just make sure ya have enough time to make your manouver, id say the reason why the bump was installed was there was a young lad killed at that junction this time last year, there are still being flowers left there at the railings on the foothpath.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I dont see what the problem is i use that part of the road every day 6 days a week, and i have never had any hassle with the bump. Just make sure ya have enough time to make your manouver, id say the reason why the bump was installed was there was a young lad killed at that junction this time last year, there are still being flowers left there at the railings on the foothpath.

-VB-
    x 2. Not sure what the OP is moaning about. That turn is fine, and most of the time you have a filter when turning right into it, so you can go as slow as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    x 2. Not sure what the OP is moaning about. That turn is fine, and most of the time you have a filter when turning right into it, so you can go as slow as you like.

No, it's Coolock Retail Park when approaching from Clarehall direction, there is no filter light.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    No, it's Coolock Retail Park when approaching from Clarehall direction, there is no filter light.

I know the one you are on about, the one for the Newtown House and Halfords, the turn is fine in my opinon.

With or without speed bumps

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Oh, that one - I thought you meant the old Tayto turn.

Had to pop around to Woodies today on the way i took a few pics of the bump, i still dont see what the fuss is all about:confused:

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I don't see a problem, the bump is actually quite flat.

If someone is at risk due to slowing down for that bump, then they shouldn't have pulled out in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

That looks grand to me, looks like the kind you can take easy at 30/40kph, and you wouldn't be going that fast turning there anyway!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Volvoboy wrote: »
    id say the reason why the bump was installed was there was a young lad killed at that junction this time last year, there are still being flowers left there at the railings on the foothpath.

I find that bump a pain aswell, my car is pretty low and i wouldnt be too keen on hitting that at any kinda speed, as for the bloke that was killed, as far as i can remember he was taking a chase from the garda and crashed into the railings there, unless there was another incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

vtec wrote: »
    I find that bump a pain aswell, my car is pretty low and i wouldnt be too keen on hitting that at any kinda speed, as for the bloke that was killed, as far as i can remember he was taking a chase from the garda and crashed into the railings there, unless there was another incident?

yup thats what happened, i nearly ripped the sump off my car there last week, they were only tarmac last sunday, no markings didnt know what happened!!! scary thank god there was no on coming traffic.
    ye the positioning is quite dumb, the way traffic is on tht road, the only place you can tear into on that junction, is the entrance with no speed bump!!!
    its prob a anti halfords measure..no bodykits lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The bunch of flowers on the verge might be a hint. Obviously they thought pedestrians were vulnerable in this area. Is that where that young traveller girl was knocked down a while back?

Would I be correct in saying that is a pedestrian crossing rather than a speed bump. It's similar to the red brick used on pedestrian streets and crossing in town. i'm always careful there because if you do hit a pedestrian it won't be the Garda you have to deal with. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ballooba wrote: »
    The bunch of flowers on the verge might be a hint. Obviously they thought pedestrians were vulnerable in this area. Is that where that young traveller girl was knocked down a while back? Would I be correct in saying that is a pedestrian crossing rather than a speed bump. it's similar to the red brick used on pedestrian streets and crossing in town. i'm always careful there because if you do hit a pedestrian it won't be the Garda you have to deal with. :eek:

sad but true!!!
    kids there act the bollix, id love to run 1 of those lil future scum of ireland over!!! evil i know:D:eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a bit extreme kona?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you want a real idiot installation , check out the stupid bump that you have to crawl over at the junction of the Belgard road beside the college. absolutely ridiculous.It covers the all 4 lanes going Northbound and Southbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you want a real idiot installation , check out the stupid bump that you have to crawl over at the junction of the Belgard road beside the college. absolutely ridiculous.It covers the all 4 lanes going Northbound and Southbound.

Is that the one that's(in the rain) a dark grey in colour which you can't see till it's too late and is like a feckin' launch pad? If so only came across it this evening and had to jam on when I saw the angle on the face of it. It looked like a quarter pipe the way it went upwards so quickly. Thank god there were no cars behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

There was actually two fatal accidents there fairly close together last year IIRC. One involved a bike and a silver Corsa cause I remember driving past it when the guards had the road closed and you had to use that road parallell to Woodies as the actual road and I think the second also involved a bike but I think he just lost control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I don't see what purpose any ramp will do at a junction like that. There's other ramps around the city encouraging driver to drive in the middle of the road.

• Advertisement

Is that the one that's(in the rain) a dark grey in colour which you can't see till it's too late and is like a feckin' launch pad? If so only came across it this evening and had to jam on when I saw the angle on the face of it. It looked like a quarter pipe the way it went upwards so quickly. Thank god there were no cars behind me.
    Stealth Bumps they're called.;)

They are there to slow the cars down for pedstrians, I reckon.

kbannon wrote: »
    They are there to slow the cars down for pedstrians, I reckon.

Yeah but its like driving up onto a kerb everytime you go through the lights(the Belgard rd ones). Surely the pedestrian crossing is plenty?
    If they cant wait for the green man its their own problem and they should be fair game.

Well, as was said, there have been two fatalities.

kbannon wrote: »
    Well, as was said, there have been two fatalities.

Not on the Belagrd road though. The bump the op is talking about is very tame looking.

Sorry - not with it - I was thinking about the Malahide Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It doesn't look too severe to me, maybe the OP went over it before it was finished !

Not sure I see the point of it eitherway, I know that turn very well !

But on a similar point does anyone else notice how they fail to keep those triangles on the speed ramps updated ?? They have nearly all worn off and it makes them very hard to see !

MercMad wrote: »
    But on a similar point does anyone else notice how they fail to keep those triangles on the speed ramps updated ?? They have nearly all worn off and it makes them very hard to see !
    The stealth bump conspiracy gathers weight. ;)

Advertisement