Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti Racism Week

• 16-11-2007 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this advertised on the back of a bus today:rolleyes: I think it was geared towards the workplace too. So are they asking people to not be racist for just one week? Anyone who judges people by anything but as an individual wont be copped on by an anti racism week, will they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I think the point of it is just to make racism more socially unacceptable. Like 'healthy eating week' or Irish Week, It might do some good as part of some continued campaign.

Manifest racism is almost entirely a learned behaviour, of course it can be reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Out of respect for this noble event I've decided not to call you a spudnígger. At least for a few days.

Sangre wrote: »
    Out of respect for this noble event I've decided not to call you a spunígger. At least for a few days.

Oi! Spunígger guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Karoma wrote: »
    Oi! Spunígger guy!

Fecking hell, I lolled! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

those dirty Tipp'Spudniggers at it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

anti-racism week ... utterly dispicable if you ask me.

Marginalising and persecuting racists is unfair! They are as entitled to an opinion as everyone else.

They dont have to like blacks, jews, gays, comunists or hippies ... and I equally reserve the right to be offended by their continued breathing. Thats called democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If I hold in all my racism for a week, then when the week is over I'll end up unloading all my racist energy on the first person of colour I see!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i hear you're a racist now father.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    If I hold in all my racism for a week, then when the week is over I'll end up unloading all my racist energy on the first person of colour I see!

Oh noes, not another attack on Charlie Bird... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

well taxi.ie and Judge Mary Fahy are getting this off to a good start :rolleyes:if you read yesterday papers
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/1115/1194550405556.html

http://www.galwaynews.ie/1943-judge-warns-polish-gangs-prison-theft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It is all the Greeks coming over here and stealing our jobs and our women!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I fought in two world wars so that people have the right to be racist.The problem with young people today is that they have everything too easy.

BrightEyes wrote: »
    It is all the Greeks coming over here and stealing our jobs and our women!! :mad:

Typical ill-informed racist attitude! Everyone knows the Greeks invented gay. Ergo, they're not stealing our wimminz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I don't see the reason for a backlash against anti-racism week when there were free stickers! free! I put them everywhere, and point at them when someone is racist. you know the ones - 'racism free zone' in a speech bubble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

BrightEyes wrote: »
    "It is all the Greeks coming over there, on the job, stealing our women."

Fixed that for you.:D
    Which country is the most sexually active in the world?
    Greece - with adults having sex 138 times a year on average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

wonder if they correct positive racial stereotypes at these things. Like "it is racist to assume all black people are good at sports and have mahoosive dongs, some of them are actually lazy and need to compensate"

Does that mean we're not allowed to tell racist jokes?Dammit,i had a great one about a black fella who goes into a pub with a frog on his head..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Why is it that only white countries run this campaigns? Are there no racists in Nigeria, Mexico, Japan...

DonJose wrote: »
    Why is it that only white countries run this campaigns? Are there no racists in Nigeria, Mexico, Japan...

Basicly if you're not white you can say what you like.You can set up beauty pagents specificly for members of your race,you can have music awards that credit your race with inventing a particular sound,you can proclaim at oscar ceremonies that you're proud not to be white and you can release music that urges others to "kill whitey".Furthermore if a criminal isnt white and he is apprehended by the police,he and others can claim he was the victim of racism,in extreme cases entire communities can riot because of something that happened to somebody of a particular race.We though,have to watch our Ps and Qs in case we offend anybody of our own race who feels the pain on behalf of everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

"Umaru Yar'Adua doesn't care about white people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'd like to propose that there's a difference from being racist and being territorial.

Racists hate non-nationals no matter where they are, whereas people who are territorial just don't want them in their country taking their resources. ( houses, jobs, school places, seats on the bus/train etc )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

DonJose wrote: »

Reminds me of the Late Late Show last night... Pat Kenny, interviewing TV's lovable rogue racist Jade Goody felt he could debunk accusations at racism thrown at her on account of the fact that her father was of African descent.

No way she could have been towards an Indian woman then, at the end of the day they're all black!

Pppfftt.

Sure, they're just as racist as us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

heres something i've always wondered, why is being nationalistic ok, but being rascist not ok? I mean if there was a world cup where they split teams into seperate races there'd be uproar, yet its ok to split people up by the country they where born in?

Advertisement