Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving the catholic church, its easier then you think: defecting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

cavedave wrote: »
    The Amish down in Waterford are almost annoyingly happy, without tripping over into creepy cultdom. Can you join the Amish if you do not believe in god?

There's Amish in Wateford? [EDIT] Google says it's true! (Me grabs SLR and makes plans to go to Dunmore East)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

PDN wrote: »
    Apostate means to move away from one's standing in the church. I thought it would be something for a real atheist to wear as a badge of honour - absolutely no offence intended.

I enjoy the odd piece of friendly banter on these boards - it would be a shame if we all became too po-faced to permit good natured humour.

every definition I read says otherwise. the word it used by the church to describe others who they pity for having left. arrogance arrogance arrogance

your post constantly drip with condescending insults, that you can' see that is just part of your god delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

every definition I read says otherwise. the word it used by the church to describe others who they pity for having left. arrogance arrogance arrogance

your post constantly drip with condescending insults, that you can' see that is just part of your god delusion.

I'm sorry my sense of humour appears to upset you so much. If it makes you feel better to think that I'm deluded then that's perfectly alright with me.

Just another thought on this (at the risk of offending the more easily offended atheists ;)). Groucho Marx's famous quote was, "I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member". If a church is so open-minded as to want to retain atheists as members then it's hardly very satisfying to get any kind of official recognition that you've left? I think it would be much more satisfying to be excommunicated by a bunch of wackos like Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Just another thought on this (at the risk of offending the more easily offended atheists ;)). Groucho Marx's famous quote was, "I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member". If a church is so open-minded as to want to retain atheists as members then it's hardly very satisfying to get any kind of official recognition that you've left? I think it would be much more satisfying to be excommunicated by a bunch of wackos like Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church.

Exactly the opposite - getting excommunicated by Westboro Baptists wouldn't be an achievement at all, on the other hand if you can get excommunicated by the most tolerant liberal religion out there then you really must be not believing hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I remember when I first decided I didn't believe in god I wanted to be "unconfirmed"

No that I don't believe in God I don't see why it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

No, no - you have the cart completely before the horse, as pH says. Westboro Baptist Church, pfft - that's easy. I can probably do it by email.

Short of the Unitarians, the Catholic Church is probably the toughest nut. They want to keep you, so leaving means you're serious about it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    No, no - you have the cart completely before the horse, as pH says. Westboro Baptist Church, pfft - that's easy. I can probably do it by email.

Short of the Unitarians, the Catholic Church is probably the toughest nut. They want to keep you, so leaving means you're serious about it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

You guys are hardcore b-b-b-bad to the bone! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Insults to who - non-believers? Oh come on. Evolve a backbone!
    Despite the charter's best intentions, believers who venture in here sure show one.

You guys are hardcore b-b-b-bad to the bone! ;)

Booyah! Actually, I very rarely get enough rest these days to be wicked. I am coasting on earlier sins...

a bit badly,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

If a church is so open-minded as to want to retain atheists as members then it's hardly very satisfying to get any kind of official recognition that you've left?
    its not open mindedness its extreme arrogance

I'm sorry my sense of humour appears to upset you so much. If it makes you feel better to think that I'm deluded then that's perfectly alright with me.

have you ever tried to say anything funny I haven't noticed, anyway I meant to say god complex, that was the phrase I was looking for.

have you ever tried to say anything funny I haven't noticed, anyway I meant to say god complex, that was the phrase I was looking for.

Have you ever read any poetry by E.E.Cummings?

Have you ever read any poetry by E.E.Cummings?

Read it? But, PDN, it has no punctuation.

mystified,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

nerin wrote: »
    i second that motion :D

Ah here now, thats not on. You can't double the same quote...ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

there be no sharing? :(:(:(

Advertisement